Well, I've finally decided I wanted to go back to that era of growling engines so after looking what was available I'm thinking that the IL-2 1946 compilation is the way to go, but I'm wondering about how it works... I know it includes all games in the series, but I'm wondering, can there be a mix-up with all planes available, or is each game handled separately from the other? I'm also particularly interested in the online multiplayer aspect of the game, I hope that there are still many players out there? I also haven't found a comprehensive wiki page for it where all things present in the game are listed (everything from planes to tanks, ships, etc), is the mission builder as advanced as the Jane's series mission builders were, where one could position everything everywhere? Another question for which I haven't found an answer is if one can have a customized nose-art or something that will also be visible for other players without them having to download an aircraft skin? I do apologize if I haven't been able to find obvious answer to these questions, I've been digging but not yet finding... Many thanks in advance for your clarifying answers! :help::hi:

Go here and get the biggest and most comprehensive IL-2 mod out there: http://ultrapack.il2...9vdq53u58r3o187

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that pack good for / what does it do? Is vanilla Il-2 1946 not good enough patched to it's latest release? On another note, is the GOG version of 1946 fully patched, or would I need more? :unsure::scratch:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that pack good for / what does it do? Is vanilla Il-2 1946 not good enough patched to it's latest release? On another note, is the GOG version of 1946 fully patched, or would I need more? :unsure::scratch:

The Ultrapack will transform your game with vastly-improved graphics, ai, fm's, and more planes, maps, and lots more I can't think of right now, and it's free. There is actually a new Ultrapack due out any day now, based on the latest official patch (4.101), with even more goodies.

Edited by Sky High

Well, I've finally decided I wanted to go back to that era of growling engines so after looking what was available I'm thinking that the IL-2 1946 compilation is the way to go, but I'm wondering about how it works... I know it includes all games in the series, but I'm wondering, can there be a mix-up with all planes available, or is each game handled separately from the other? I'm also particularly interested in the online multiplayer aspect of the game, I hope that there are still many players out there? I also haven't found a comprehensive wiki page for it where all things present in the game are listed (everything from planes to tanks, ships, etc), is the mission builder as advanced as the Jane's series mission builders were, where one could position everything everywhere? Another question for which I haven't found an answer is if one can have a customized nose-art or something that will also be visible for other players without them having to download an aircraft skin? I do apologize if I haven't been able to find obvious answer to these questions, I've been digging but not yet finding... Many thanks in advance for your clarifying answers! :help::hi:

To answer your questions: 1. All inclusive and handled together. 2. Online is still quite strong, but down since CloD has been introduced. 3. No community Wiki AFIK. Somewhere, I'm sure there's a comprehensive list of all the A/C in game. Mission builder is considered on of the best in the business and there is a web site devoted to mission and campaign building with step by step tutorials. Yes, you can position everything. 4. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes and you don't have to d/l the skin. I think it's automatic.

Hope that helps. Get the basic game installed and running before you get UP or any other mods. :bye:

The Ultrapack will transform your game with vastly-improved graphics, ai, fm's, and more planes, maps, and lots more I can't think of right now, and it's free. There is actually a new Ultrapack due out any day now, based on the latest official patch (4.101), with even more goodies.

Ultrapack also lets you play without disk.

Ultrapack also lets you play without disk.

Good to know, though I don't have a disc - I got the game from Good Old Games (GOG.com). Got it off a promo even... so no DRM hassle for me! :grin: