Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Stock Spitfire rework

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm finishing off the first set of new hi-res skins for the TW Spitfire MkIX. Obviously other schemes will be appearing from time to time... Especially if someone can do be FMs for the MkI, MkII, MkV, MkVIII and MkXII, why not - I won't go into gory details about subtypes...

Gorgeous work, Ndicki! I'm starting in on the MkI FM mod right now.

Have a skin for the MkI yet?

maybe not skins, but there's PLENTY of decal sets for them!!! :grin:

Gorgeous work, Ndicki! I'm starting in on the MkI FM mod right now.

Have a skin for the MkI yet?

Soon... I need to redraw the panel lines around the gun housings, but there's already a Dark Green/Dark Earth one being done for a SEAC MkVIIIc, so there isn't much else to do before you can have a test version.

Not to mention one or two other tweaks. And as I've understood that there are those who wish to return the compliment to the Japanese...

Thank you! And it's just got better - the tail-wheel has now gone. MkVIIIs had retractable tail-wheels, so it shouldn't be visible in flight. Nothing I can do about the rudder, though, I'm afraid. Uploading now!

It's getting there, folks...(I borrowed Ndicki's skin for the demo)

post-26185-0-05869800-1303759925.jpg

Looking good! But don't finalise the gun muzzles until I've done the wing panels. It's easier to move the x,y,z co-ordinates around than it is to redraw the wing panels, which by necessity have to fit the wing shape correctly ! Also, Kevin's kind offer notwithstanding, I'll be doing my own decals. It'll get too complicated otherwise, you'll see...

Edited by ndicki

Roger that. I'm still running dogfights against the 109E-3 and making adjustments anyway.

Can the FM be tweaked so your carburettor cuts in negative G manoeuvres? We had great fun working that one out in CFS3...

Meanwhile, here's a clipped-wing, retracting tailwheel model with B-type armament and no rocket stubs. A MkXIIc?

Didn't the MkXIIs have E type wings? (two 20mms and two .50s....) Skins look great! Nice work :)

Can the FM be tweaked so your carburettor cuts in negative G manoeuvres? We had great fun working that one out in CFS3...

I've been thinking about that but am not sure how to do it. Even cooler would be to get the sputtering engine sound.

Didn't the MkXIIs have E type wings? (two 20mms and two .50s....) Skins look great! Nice work :)

No. All MkXIIs were fitted with C-type wings and B-type armament. Rather than have the .50 Browning stubs visible in the wrong place (in the E-type armament fit, the 20mm cannon are in the outboard of the two cannon positions, while in the B-type they are in the inboard one) I removed them completely, giving it a B-type wing as opposed to the correct combination of C-type wing with B-type armament. Confused? In any case, the B-type armament of 1x 20mm and 2x .303s per wing is what you get here, and it is the right one.

Don't get confused with the MkXIV, which came originally in C and later in E flavour!

I've been thinking about that but am not sure how to do it. Even cooler would be to get the sputtering engine sound.

Not sure that's possible in SF. Pity, really - another thing CFS does better. But the one thing CFS (I mean even the sort of heavily-modded CFS I run, not CFS from-the-box!) does badly is actual fighting. You can cruise around the sky quite happily without much risk of being shot down by the other lot. SF is much more convincing in this respect!

Edit - First Eagles does something like that, now I think of it. The rotary engines do have a funny "grunt" noise which I think is linked to loss of power owing to gravity... I think. Bit complicated for me here!

Edited by ndicki

Not sure that's possible in SF. Pity, really - another thing CFS does better. But the one thing CFS (I mean even the sort of heavily-modded CFS I run, not CFS from-the-box!) does badly is actual fighting. You can cruise around the sky quite happily without much risk of being shot down by the other lot. SF is much more convincing in this respect!

Edit - First Eagles does something like that, now I think of it. The rotary engines do have a funny "grunt" noise which I think is linked to loss of power owing to gravity... I think. Bit complicated for me here!

I wonder if Peter01 is still around. He's the FM guru for FE. If he knows of a way, there's hope. I see if I can find him.

I just flew an FE2 Camel, and there's no loss of power under negative G. The only thing I can find different in the engine sections of the data.inis is the constantspeed=false call out due to the lack of constant speed propellers. The only way I can think of to simulate it would be to lower the number of negative degrees of elevator throw the aircraft has, but that's a funky solution.

So what is it that causes that funny "grrrrumph" noise that you hear all the time?

I wonder if that's not the stall sound. Or perhaps the pilot grunting under the gees.

Actually, if you can make the pilot grunt under the gees, can you make the engine grunt too? Always worthwhile thinking sideways a bit...

Meanwhile, I've been busy. This is from 19 Squadron - I've got the serials of a number of MkIa aircraft that were issued to 19 Sqn during August and September, as well, so even that will be correct. Contrary to appearances, there's still quite a lot of work to be done, but the uppersurfaces panels and riveting are done, the gun-positions done (only the outboard one in each wing can stay unchanged), new 8 gun sound effects, tracers, etc, etc. More than meets the eye!

Now then, let's see if you've got your wits about you... Leading the flight is Squadron Leader Brian 'Sandy' Lane's P9386 'K' - as you can certainly tell......... Can't you?

Looking Good!!

some thoughts...

obviously, the underwing radiators/oil cooler needs changing/swaping out/whatever

what about using a 'fake pilot method' of adding the smaller underwing cooler, and 3-port exhaust stacks? Using the remove component trick -if the right side rad mesh can be located- and a 3D guy can make the correct exhaust stack as a matched pair left/right, it's just a matter of dailing in the correct positions. Might be somewhat easier than building totaly new models.

Same could be done for the, say, Mk.V Trops -- just need the dust filter as the fake pilot's seat....hmmmmmmm (would 2 different filter housing be wanted, or would just the 'standard' type be used?)

Wonder if the SAM Modelers Guide on the Merlin Spits has the size measurments? Have to check the views in there. (if anyone needs said book, I have it on PDF)

wrench

kevin stein

That could get VERY complicated - and it still wouldn't really look right, because the nose is too long. You'd have to remove the carburettor scoop as well, and replace it with either the tropical Vokes or Aboukir filter, or simply the earlier small intake. I'll finish my input, anyway, and pass it on if anybody can take it further.

And how about a real MkI mk V etc if you guys want i can squeeze it in my wips have a MK I base already from last summer seating on my decktop but i need some to port TW Fm to my models wend done and do the skin work. how his that?

Bobrock dint reply to Wrench´s bump on his wip too bad