Sign in to follow this  
AROTH

New system question

Sorry to bother everyone.

I will be building a new computer sometime in the next week or so.

What do most of you do when starting out with a new unit? Do a new fresh install of CFS3, OFF, and HiTR, or, just transfer the programs from you old hard drive or back-up drive to the new machine?

Clean installs....

I don`t like transferring programs from another drive.

Prefer always fresh install.

:salute:

Thanks all. That was what I was thinking would be the best path to follow. Wanted to make sure.

You're welcome - and don't ever think you're bothering anyone here, you're not :drinks:

BTW make sure you keep a copy of the Hat In The Ring! expansion installation file (if you have it) if you will be wiping all from your old PC.

I agree a clean install is the way to go.

Ha-ha - am I a slow one. From my original post of May 1 regarding building the new computer, I actually finally got it set up and running only yesterday due to to numerous other household repair duties and tasks.

As you know, just turning it on isn't the easiest part. You have to reload all off your old programs and do a lot of tweaking.

Anyway, got OFF and HiTR installed today and took it for its first test flight. Thought I had died and gone to heaven - what a difference with the new system! Sliders are way up and the frame rates hover around 55-60 steady (barely could do low teens on the ground and mid-20's in the air with the old Dell). I see so much more detail in everything that was not present before. True, it was only a single plane test flight, but what an improvement.

When it gets dark tonite, I will also try the Trackir and also see how it does in a furball. Maybe now I won't get killed so often. :salute:

OK. So, I have OFF up and running now with beautiful results. However, Trackir is another issue...

It is past 3:30 am and I am totally out of it after trying to get Trackir to work with OFF. I have been reading the stickies right and left and trying to figure what is wrong.

Trackir works fine with FS2004 and CFS3 but not at all with OFF. I take it from some of the posts in the sticky that I may have done something incorrectly during installation or left something out during set-up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sorry to trouble you all again.

Thanks.

As uncleal says, if your using windows 7 try running TrackIR in Administator Mode. If you haven't got win7 then I don't know but someone will come along and solve it for you for sure.

Yes, Windows 7. I will go back and check my settings on that one. Thanks much.

That was the fix, Gents! Did the trick. Sim runs like a well-oiled clock. Now, lets see if I can improve myself enough to stop getting killed so much. :salute: