Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

VE Day...

Today in 1945 Victory in Europe was declared as Nazi Germany Surrendered. :salute:

Thank god a few days earlier in Holland. Saved a lot of lives in executions and people dying from starvation in the West part of the country. Also a lot of planned inundations and demolitions were prevented.....

Gratitude to RAF Bomber Command and the 8th Air Force USAAF for the so called Manna Flights in which thousands of tonnes of food were dropped (also a few miles down the road here at Valkenburg):salute:

Unfortunately my father in Birma and my mother, brothers and sister at Java had to endure another couple of months of starvation and illnesses untill VJ day........

V 4 Victory !!!! :good:

Houdoe,

Derk

Lest we forget!

And a special thought for my Grand Father that fought all the way from Algiers to Germany and for the other one captured in 1940 and for the great-cousin KIA on the Somme in June 1940.

:salute: To all for their sacrifice in those terrible years.

The besieged German U-Boot base at St-Nazaire did not surrender before May 11-12 (May 10 for Lorient). The Channel Islands were liberated on May 9 but were not the last part of British territory to reconquer, as Hong-Kong was still Japanese.

Remember these years of fire who burnt to the bones the Europe of that time and forged in flames the Europe of today. :salute: