Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT a little victory

I had an Acer laptop brought to me, after the customer had spilled a glass of Red Wine over the keyboard.

I'm usually quite nervous of Laptops...damn fiddly things...but I got to work, stripped it down completely to it's component parts...and had a sh*tload of screws carefully placed in a little pot!

The HDD was totally screwed...the wine having clogged it up completely (especially as the customer had held off bringing it for 4 weeks!!!)

So, I put a new HDD in....re-assembled it all...and Bingo...it actually worked!....and not even one screw left over! :good:

Have to say...I'm pretty chuffed...and so is the customer.

(not sure if it woulda been a happy ending, if it had been a sugery cup of tea however!) :drinks:

Give me a Desktop anyday!!!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I will go with you on that or Fresh Orange split over it... take your victory and be prepared for the next time!!! I hate laptops desktops fairly straightforward once you get a good answer from what the user did...

Widow, three cheers to you, old chap!

I had a lot of trouble with my new rig the last two weeks, and I was now convinced, that my C:drive

was broken. It part-time failed out.

Now, that I had travelled through most of Berlin and back, to borrow another harddrive from a friend,

I found, that the red SATA cable might be sitting slightly obligue (they don't really plug in well!), and

after moving it, the C:drive works again.

So, now I still don't know, if this was it, or if the C:drive may still be half broken. Damn business!!!

I had an Acer laptop brought to me, after the customer had spilled a glass of Red Wine over the keyboard.

I'm usually quite nervous of Laptops...damn fiddly things...but I got to work, stripped it down completely to it's component parts...and had a sh*tload of screws carefully placed in a little pot!

The HDD was totally screwed...the wine having clogged it up completely (especially as the customer had held off bringing it for 4 weeks!!!)

So, I put a new HDD in....re-assembled it all...and Bingo...it actually worked!....and not even one screw left over! :good:

Have to say...I'm pretty chuffed...and so is the customer.

(not sure if it woulda been a happy ending, if it had been a sugery cup of tea however!) :drinks:

Give me a Desktop anyday!!!!

Congrats on ur accomplishment. Laptops are &^%$#@

Laptops! Reminds me of this scene from "Wild Hogs" with the great William Macey:

Edited by Olham

My second computer was a HP Compaq which the AC port was faulty on, It's been running pretty well since I've resoldered in a new connector.

I once accidently "liquid cooled" a K8N-E motherboard I was working on with about half a tall can of Coors Lite. It was powered up at the time and didn't survive. Moral to the story?? Keep your beverages away from any kind of computer technology....especially if you're half in the bag.

Way to go Widow. I currently have (4) computers (2 desktops and 2 laptops) and it seems like I'm always fixing one of them. The other day I lost the D: drive (DVD drive) on my gaming computer and realized it when I sat down for a campaign mission in OFF - I was PO'd to say the least. I Google-searched for a solution and found something where I had to go into "regedit" and delete a filter file on my DVD drive, I rebooted and it actually worked. It's little mini victories that help you win the battle. :salute:

Way to go Widow. I currently have (4) computers (2 desktops and 2 laptops) and it seems like I'm always fixing one of them. The other day I lost the D: drive (DVD drive) on my gaming computer and realized it when I sat down for a campaign mission in OFF - I was PO'd to say the least. I Google-searched for a solution and found something where I had to go into "regedit" and delete a filter file on my DVD drive, I rebooted and it actually worked. It's little mini victories that help you win the battle. :salute:

Absolutely Shiloh..... Eat the Elephant chunk by chunk...usually works! :drinks: