Tupolev Tu-22IP 'Fullcup' - Tentara Nasional Indonesia Angkatan Udara, 1968

The rapid rise of the Communist Party of Indonesia saw a headlong rush towards the Soviet Union and soon Indonesia had become a second-tier client state, indeed, getting Tu-16 'Badger' bombers before any other client state. Confrontation against the Dutch in Papua was quickly followed by action against the Malaysian Federation in a border dispute along Kalimantan which saw British Commonwealth forces mobilised before an uneasy truce descended. However, in 1965 a failed coup attempt led by the 30 September Movement saw Indonesian Communist Forces crush the anti-communist regime led by Major General Suharto and thus solidly establish Communist power in South-East Asia and Oceania.

With the United States becoming increasingly involved in Vietnam it was decided that the British Commonwealth would bolster 'Blue' forces in the area and, among other assets, the RAF sent two squadrons of Victor B.1's to RAAF Butterworth in October 1965 along with two Javelin squadrons. To counter the Victors the Indonesian Air Force needed a long-range interceptor and soon received a squadron of Tu-22IP 'Fullcup' aircraft hastily withdrawn from Soviet PVO Strany forces where the type had been developed as an insurance against failure of the Tu-28 'Fiddler'. Armed with the Soviet designed 'Golok' (named after a type of Indonesian machete) semi-active homing missile, four of which could be carried internally, the Tu-22IP's were fast but suffered from poor manoeuverability and hideously low availability - being notoriously maintenance intensive, and by 1970 the 'Fullcup' had been retired.

TNIAUTU-22P01.jpg

TNIAUTU-22P02.jpg

TNIAUTU-22P03.jpg

A Libyan camo skin (from the SF1 archives) has been used with my Indonesian markings and stock Soviet red numbers to make this fictional TNI-AU interceptor and a Sa-8 'Gecko' takes the part of the 'Golok' air-to-air missile!

u got too much time spiiners m8...lol nice job tho...u got Facebook...if so add me Russ morgan...im from cardiff...I know ive told u b4...and asked where in wales u live..remind me...lol

u got too much time spiiners m8...lol nice job tho...u got Facebook...if so add me Russ morgan...im from cardiff...I know ive told u b4...and asked where in wales u live..remind me...lol

Swansea boy living in Port Talbot.*

* Port Talbot Joke

A courting couple drove to Nash Point one evening and were getting very amorous. In the heat of passion the girl cried out, "Kiss me where it smells!"

So he took her to Port Talbot...

K, this is getting scary now... I've been using that exact skin for Indonesian Blinders in campaigns I've made for Wings Over Timor. :smile:

Tu-22IP 'Fullcup'

can't resist this...

safe to assume they're double Ds??

:lol:

can't resist this...

safe to assume they're double Ds??

:lol:

lol - they are used as support fighters.

Nice one, but maybe as an interceptor could be better to paint a nice black, dark grey or "soviet" green radome on the nose. ;-)

And... possibly a couple of missile placed on the wingtips.

Wonder a fight between Sabrina Hunters and Fullcups! :yikes: