Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

"Waterworld" Terrain

"Waterworld" Terrain

"Waterworld" Terrain for SF2

Full-4 Merged (Reccomened) and/or SF2:V

Just a bit of silliness. I was asked to create a 'quick and dirty' mostly ocean terrain by Fubar512, so he could test some ship mods. This is it. Just a little something fun, and slightly different. Yes, there are Easter Eggs. In fact, the WHOLE map is an Easter Egg!

This terrain contains 2 land-airfields (one for each side) and 6 CV stations; 3 each for Blue and Red. I made use of the "Allowed Missions" statement, so you won't be seeing any CAS or Armed Recons (with no place to drive too...well, you get the idea). Plenty of shipping routes, however.

No tiles (excepting one special, and one for use with GH3) are included with this, but it uses the VietnamSEA tile set, as pointed to via the 'use this cat' statement in the terrain's main ini. If one wished to, you can easily just drop Stary's GH3 set, or any other Vietnam-named tiles directly into the terrain folder. Once the terrain has it's own internal tileset, you can use any cat pointer =EXCEPT= the IsrealME.cat.

The cities on the map have the minimal amounts of targets possible ... this is more for those liking to keep their feet wet. Also, you might just want to consider this terrain a "myth-mash" (see notes below). Bonus point awarded to ID the source of several of the place names.

As always, unzip this to a temp folder or your desktop, and you'll have access to the rest of the readme for it's instructions. It's reccomended you read the document through after unzipping before installing. As always, the Notes and Other Nonesense section may make for entertaining reading.

Happy Swimming!

Wrench

kevin stein

Now you can start to play with the "Stormy" weather........LOL...

Mauz.

This is a very welcome addon terrain. thanks for uploading this.

I have a question,

When doing a random single mission for the red side, strike, one can get ships as a primary target: Oil Tanker (target no144) and Sumner Fram 2.

Oil Tanker was invisible, but when I set groundobjecttype to tanker instead of oiler, it is visible (waterworld_types.ini).

Anyways, when hit the sumner fram 2 disappears and the tanker shows a damaged LOD. neither of them sink. Can they be made to sink?

so far my efforts failed. "Sinktime" seems to be ignored.

(For now I am using it in WOI, 2010 patched)

i'd suggest reading the readme -- it says NOT to use the IsrealME cat, and NOT for 1stGens. SF2 only

They won't sink because they're ground objects being used as terrain objects; therefore, they 'think' the surface of the water is hard ground. Also, as 'terrain objects', they're subject to targeting for Strike just like any other (evildamncombuildings, oil tanks, etc). This has been discussed many times between us Terraformers. Nothing to do about it.

You're probably missing the "Oiler" ground object, hence no visible target. It's called an "Oil Tanker", which is what displays in your target window, which is WHAT it is (actually, a CIMMARON class AO). Read the rest of the entry:

[TargetType144]

Name=Oiler

FullName=Oil Tanker

//ModelName=Oiler.LOD

TargetType=FUEL_STORAGE

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=1000

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=Oiler

RepairRate=0.555

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DamagedModel=

SecondaryEffect=LargeOilFire

DestroyedModel=Oiler.LOD

SecondaryChance=100

that should clear that up.

TK never gave us a destroyed model for the SUMNERFram, so there you have it. So when destroyed, it vaporizes. That can be fixed by adding these lines to the SUMNER's _types entry (which I thought I'd done)

DamagedModel=DD.LOD

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DestroyedModel=DD.LOD

SecondaryEffect=MediumOilFire

SecondaryChance=100

i'd suggest reading the readme -- it says NOT to use the IsrealME cat, and NOT for 1stGens. SF2 only

They won't sink because they're ground objects being used as terrain objects; therefore, they 'think' the surface of the water is hard ground. Also, as 'terrain objects', they're subject to targeting for Strike just like any other (evildamncombuildings, oil tanks, etc). This has been discussed many times between us Terraformers. Nothing to do about it.

Yes, I read the readme allright. Have the VietnamSEA cat there too. Was confident I could get it running.

Was searching for the not-sinking issue in the forums. but I failed to find the answer you just gave me. Thanks for clearing this up.

(Regarding the Sumner Fram LOD, If it would just sink then a destroyed lod would not be necessary, as it would be convincing enough.)

This will certainly be a terrain I'll be using quite a lot from now on. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm getting the "ships floating above the water" issue. Could this be a HeightMapScale issue? It's set to 25 in the Waterworld_data entries; should I try adjusting it? I'm running a full merged install with the latest patch, if that helps.

I thought I'd fixed the HM height spec!!

set the HM to 2.000 --

the whole top section (before the tile listings), comes from the 7/11 update, so it should be good

I thought I'd fixed the HM height spec!!

set the HM to 2.000 --

the whole top section (before the tile listings), comes from the 7/11 update, so it should be good

Problem fixed, thanks!

...But, I ran into another issue. (Sorry for being such a pain!) I couldn't get the mission editor to place ships on the terrain except a lone target for anti-ship missions. But I could add tanks and stuff... It seemed to be treating the water as solid ground.

I read through the knowledge base and posts and found that the issue was the waterworld_water.bmp file. (The RGB was 108/0/10 instead of 128/0/0 like other terrains.) I edited and re-saved the file, and now I can place ships and ground vehicles appropriately.

yess.gif

Problem fixed, thanks!

...But, I ran into another issue. (Sorry for being such a pain!) I couldn't get the mission editor to place ships on the terrain except a lone target for anti-ship missions. But I could add tanks and stuff... It seemed to be treating the water as solid ground.

I read through the knowledge base and posts and found that the issue was the waterworld_water.bmp file. (The RGB was 108/0/10 instead of 128/0/0 like other terrains.) I edited and re-saved the file, and now I can place ships and ground vehicles appropriately.

yess.gif

Anti-Ship Mission??? :blink:

I think it is so.

Have same with all terrains!

Edited by Soulfreak

did I save the bmp with the wrong specs!??? Damn ... hate when I do that!!

can you post the fixed _water.bmp?? Jus zip it, and upload like a regular mod, so everyone can have. I'd be thankfull!!

there should be more than enough A-S routes to keep even Sparkomatic happy!!

BTW ... nobody's answered the questions on the names!!!

If you can do this, you can entertain some wild ideas.

One example: Recall the prehistoric story of one giant continent, and everything else one giant ocean. Gia maybe, or whatever its called. I know you can make 12,000 kilometer maps, cos that's what I work with. So if you can cut-paste your own bmps from other generated DEM, or iffin TK releaces NewTE someday where terrains are created as bmp files from scratch, or something like that, you can patch up a Jurassic Map or something. Or make a Cretaceous Campaign. I just know somebody would end up making brontosaurus lods or tgas.

you can patch up a Jurassic Map

already in the works

did I save the bmp with the wrong specs!??? Damn ... hate when I do that!!

can you post the fixed _water.bmp?? Jus zip it, and upload like a regular mod, so everyone can have. I'd be thankfull!!

Here is the fixed water and some other tweaked bits. For example the map was a bit off. You can include it no problems.

Also I put my version of nothingness in there, called wastelands.

Mediafire Waterworld bits and Wastelands

It looks like gerwin beat me to the upload. I didn't see the Waterworld_water.bmp in the package, though-- do you still need that? Or were adjustments to the ini file sufficient to fix it?

It looks like gerwin beat me to the upload. I didn't see the Waterworld_water.bmp in the package, though-- do you still need that? Or were adjustments to the ini file sufficient to fix it?

Waterworld_water.bmp is there. I regret putting the data ini there.. as it is for SF1 with deuces treemod. I put the data ini there to show how one can exclude many unused vietnam tiles, so it loads faster.

Edited by gerwin

EEEEiigadds The boats are still hovering at least on my setup I don't have, sf2 or sfI2 in the mix tho..