Sign in to follow this  
Guest John117

Enemy Aircraft

Guest John117

Hi.I want to know,is there a way to use any specific aircraft as an Enemy aircraft in WOV?I want to use the Mirage Factory Mig-29 Fulcrum as an Enemy but it appears as flyable only.

Any Help is appreciated.

in the mig 29's data ini there is a line right near the top that says nationname= . it should be listed to a known enemy nation for it to be an enemy such as Soviet or NVietnam. In the nationslist.ini each nation will be listed as friendly or enemy, you should not need to change that unless you want to make the US and Cuba friends or something similar! friendly or enemy does not make it flyable however.... it is the cockpit or lack of one that determines flyablity!

Guest John117

Then that probably means I would have to make a separate folder without the cockpit.Thanks for your help.By the way,is the Phantom capable of defeating a Mig-29 in real life?

1 all you have to do is remove the cockpitdata line from the aircrafts main ini(Mig29.ini).

2 but why would you want to? it is a bit fun and challenging to fly for the ted side once in a while. it will still generate as an enemy aircraft in game, tho not as often as stock planes.

3 much as it pains me to admit it a Phantom would get slapped around in a dogfight with a Fulcum. if you really know how to fly the Phantom and the Fulcrum pilots havin an off day maybe but.....

in the BVR realm the only way would be the German F-4F ICE upgrade that uses Amraam. but even then after shootin they gotta get outta there as the survivors will be pissed.

Hi.I want to know,is there a way to use any specific aircraft as an Enemy aircraft in WOV?I want to use the Mirage Factory Mig-29 Fulcrum as an Enemy but it appears as flyable only.

Any Help is appreciated.

As said above - the MiG-29 will still be an enemy jet - take it for a spin and you will see you are flying for the red side now :good:

However if you are trying to use it in WOV - the game only runs to 1973 by default - so the first thing you need to do is extend the dates in options.ini

Make sure you are patched to the 2008 version so the avionics etc actually work in the MiG.

then you just need to add in 1980s weapons, SAMs, AAA etc

When the Luftwaffe, then flying F-4F Phantom IIs, absorbed MiG-29s and their pilots, the first thing they did was ground the MiG pilots so that they could learn to fly ACM the western way. The MiG-29 pilots could not understand why they were grounded, so a mock fight was conducted between an F-4F and a MiG-29, both being flown by the best of each sides pilots. The F-4F smoked the MiG-29. Even with the 20+ year difference between the service entry dates for the two aircraft and the resulting technology and performance advantages, pilot quality, training, and experience are still more important than the plane. I read the article describing this event in a Smithstonian Aviation magazine in a Navy Exchange magazine rack.

Edited by streakeagle

Mirage Factory Mig-29 Fulcrum as an Enemy but it appears as flyable only.

Obvious answer:

So don't fly it!

You're also forgetting that the VNSEA terrain should use the LimitedNations=TRUE statement, thereby cutting out anyone that don't belong there, other than the expected Red -VPAF. It may also uses "AllowedMIssions=" statements, limiting what type CAN be flown by the VPAF (and by inference, Blue as well -no shipping routes on the Red side!)

To say nothing of what was mentioned above about the narrowed year usage. This is easly fixed in the VeitnamSEA.ini. You should have a set of statements for 'AllowedYears' or words to that effect.

Remember too, not only to edit the Options.ini in the root folder, but the SingleMission.ini (will need extracting from one of the Flight cats), and the terrain's year limits. (if applicable! don't mod 1stGens anymore, so...)

Guest John117

The Mig appears as an enemy in the desert map from SF1(which I use in WOV).But I have to say,it's a tough one.I was only able to get one after an hour of chasing and maneuvering.Oh,and when I flew the plane,the opposition were the Phantoms and in some cases,even the super sabres(Which were no match!).Anyways thanks for the help and suggestions and streakeagle,the event you described is indeed correct.This goes to prove that it ain't about the machine but,the hand controlling it.

When the Luftwaffe, then flying F-4F Phantom IIs, absorbed MiG-29s and their pilots, the first thing they did was ground the MiG pilots so that they could learn to fly ACM the western way. The MiG-29 pilots could not understand why they were grounded, so a mock fight was conducted between an F-4F and a MiG-29, both being flown by the best of each sides pilots. The F-4F smoked the MiG-29. Even with the 20+ year difference between the service entry dates for the two aircraft and the resulting technology and performance advantages, pilot quality, training, and experience are still more important than the plane. I read the article describing this event in a Smithstonian Aviation magazine in a Navy Exchange magazine rack.

Sorry. Dont know were you got this "news". But forget this. There was no "victory" of the Phantom over the MiG-29. In 1991, in preparation for Desert Storm, there were mock combats between american F-16 and MiG-29. The result was the "destruction" of the Viper at 50km+. (later the F-16 won a mock combat with half full tanks and removed pylons, while the miG had a full fuel loading and a centerline tank :lol:)

The MiG-29 were the most welcome sparrings partner at Decci airbase (NATO fighter town). And in all close combat scenarios it proofed superior to all western planes.

The only "weakpoint" of the east german pilots was that they had to retrain to NATO combat and communication procedures. But that does not mean, that they were bad pilots. In contrary. They had had training which west german pilots not had. Which west german pilot had ever trained to intercept low and slow flying objects (helis and cruise misiles)? Interception at all night and into the clouds was also no Luftwaffe training objective, but was common in LSK. and and and. The east german pilots had a different training schedule than the west germans, but they were not bad. Up today they are officers in the Luftwaffe.

If you want third side info: Then ask danish pilots, who played catch me if you can with LSK MiG-23 over the Baltic, how the east german pilots were. You will get the answer: skilled, motivated and tactical good.

This is the entry in a german forum about one of the baltic games:

"Muss so 1987 gewesen sein, wir machten gerade östlich von Rügen ein bissel Abfangen in den Wolken mit Schnitt- und Gegenkursen, da meldet die Leitstelle "zwei Schnelle in 10.000 mit Kurs 150 Entfernung 90 km".

Frag ich doch mal nach, wo die Bäckerburschen herkommen - offenbar aus Aalboorg (Dänemark).

Da gabs ja nur F-16 und mit denen hatte ich das "Vergnügen" bis dahin nicht gehabt. Als ich mich so in 3000 m nach oben aus den Wolken mache, sehe ich Sie dann auch Dank Ihrer vorzüglichen "Tarnung" mit Kondensstreifen.

Hinter mir kamen sie dann zügig runter (war im Periskop prima zu sehen) und hingen je Einer rechts und links neben mir. Da das F-16 Teil bekantermaßen in deren Version kein richtiges Radar hatte wussten Sie aber offenbar nichts von meinem Kameraden Wolfgang der ca. 15 km hinter mir noch in den Wolken steckte.

Ich frag ihn also ob er die auch "sieht" was er natürlich bestätigt und bitte Ihn mir die Vögel doch mal zu verscheuchen.

Nach dem Aufschalten der Zielbeleuchtung flog dem einen wahrscheinlich sein Warngerät um die Ohren und ich habe nie wieder einen Flieger so in Panik flüchten gesehen.... Wir haben uns noch tagelang drüber amüsiert."

Edited by Gepard

Sorry. Dont know were you got this "news". But forget this. There was no "victory" of the Phantom over the MiG-29. In 1991, in preparation for Desert Storm, there were mock combats between american F-16 and MiG-29. The result was the "destruction" of the Viper at 50km+. (later the F-16 won a mock combat with half full tanks and removed pylons, while the miG had a full fuel loading and a centerline tank :lol:)

The MiG-29 were the most welcome sparrings partner at Decci airbase (NATO fighter town). And in all close combat scenarios it proofed superior to all western planes.

Really - which other Western planes did it fight in these mock combats?

Didnt the MiG-29s have a Helmet Mounted sighting system that you have forgot to mention?

Unfortunately in actual combat where all factors come into play the F-16 has won every time........

Really - which other Western planes did it fight in these mock combats?

Didnt the MiG-29s have a Helmet Mounted sighting system that you have forgot to mention?

Unfortunately in actual combat where all factors come into play the F-16 has won every time........

In Decci (Decciomomannu located in Italy at Sardinia island) is situated the european air combat training centre of the NATO. Here all types of fighter planes which are used in Europe are flying. So it was too in the 90th when the MiG-29 appeared. Here the german MiG's fought against spanish F-18, french Mirages of all fighter types, british Tornados, european and american F-16, US F-15, and of course the good old Phantom.

By using it phemomenal agility of the plane, the Shlem helmet targeting device and the outstanding R-73 missile the MiG-29 proofed superior to all foes at short distances.

When talking to german MiG-29 drivers, they told me that the F-18 was the western plane which was the hardest opponent in close combat. One sentencece i will never forget: "The americans win their dogfights in the debriefings with their mouth, we win in the air."

MiGBuster, you mention the actual combat, which is dominated by BVR combat. The german MiG-29 were late 80th models. This was the time before AMRAAM and its russian counterpart R-77 (AA-12 Adder). Of course is a plane armed with a active radar guided missile superior to a plane with only SAHM missiles. So a F-16C is superior to a MiG-29A in BVR. And only such engagements were made in the last decade. If you have to face a MiG-29S with a F-16C you will have no BVR superiority. Then all depends on the ability of the groundcontrolers or AWACS.

Edited by Gepard

In Decci (Decciomomannu located in Italy at Sardinia island) is situated the european air combat training centre of the NATO. Here all types of fighter planes which are used in Europe are flying. So it was too in the 90th when the MiG-29 appeared. Here the german MiG's fought against spanish F-18, french Mirages of all fighter types, british Tornados, european and american F-16, US F-15, and of course the good old Phantom.

By using it phemomenal agility of the plane, the Shlem helmet targeting device and the outstanding R-73 missile the MiG-29 proofed superior to all foes at short distances.

When talking to german MiG-29 drivers, they told me that the F-18 was the western plane which was the hardest opponent in close combat. One sentencece i will never forget: "The americans win their dogfights in the debriefings with their mouth, we win in the air."

MiGBuster, you mention the actual combat, which is dominated by BVR combat. The german MiG-29 were late 80th models. This was the time before AMRAAM and its russian counterpart R-77 (AA-12 Adder). Of course is a plane armed with a active radar guided missile superior to a plane with only SAHM missiles. So a F-16C is superior to a MiG-29A in BVR. And only such engagements were made in the last decade. If you have to face a MiG-29S with a F-16C you will have no BVR superiority. Then all depends on the ability of the groundcontrolers or AWACS.

No F-14....so not all western Jets then....

Yes you see its the case of the MiG-29A having a technological advantage with the HMS - like the F-16C had the superior Radar and Missiles for BVR and a decent RWR a few years later.

The reason they mention the FA-18 is because of its low speed ability - but it wouldn't have mattered as much against a HMS.

The simulations also probably didn't take into account the fact that flares were still very effective in this time period.

The point I made about the F-16 winning the combat was that there are many factors that define combat situations - even in BVR its not just a 1v1 affair - and you can not make blanket statements based on such. Take for example the 1991 case where the F-15C gets inside the MiG-29As turning circle.

Now even if the MiG-29A out turned the F-15C initially, the F-15s wingman is observing the fight from above and will step in.

Edited by MigBuster

Of course the quality of pilot training is very important. An unexperienced pilot in the most modern plane can be shot down by an excellent pilot in an outdated bird. Had happend often enough in history.

The fact that i not mentioned the F-14 was, that they were not really part of the european flying circus. The USN played their own games :grin: as far as i know, they never played at Decci.