Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Bavarian Albatros" of Walter Böning, Jasta 76b

Just found this photo here in the website "Flieger-Album": http://flieger-album...s_id=view&s=187

About the city arms of Würzburg under the cockpit, Rainer Anton comments on that blog:

Kommentar : 4 von raineranton erstellt am : 26.02.2011 23:20

"Walter Böning hatte keinen Bezug zu Würzburg. Es handelt sich bei dem Flugzeug aber

um die Ex-Maschine von Böning. Böning gab die Maschine dann an Karl Hopf weiter,

welcher gebürtig aus Würzburg stammte. Hopf bemalte die Maschine zusätzlich mit dem

Stadtwappen seiner Heimatstadt."

"Walter Boening had no connection to Wuerzburg. But this was the ex-aircraft of Boening.

Boening passed the craft on to Karl Hopf, who was born in Wuerzburg. Hopf painted the

additional city arms of his hometown on the craft."

I had read somewhere, that it was not clear, if this was Böning's Albatros. The "Flieger-Album"

blog seems to have cleared that. It is a great website anyway - go there and check it out, chaps.

Edited by Olham

Thanks for this excellent little tidbit Olham. Saved to my files. :smile:

About the city arms of Würzburg under the cockpit, Rainer Anton comments on that blog:

Kommentar : 4 von raineranton erstellt am : 26.02.2011 23:20

"Walter Böning hatte keinen Bezug zu Würzburg. Es handelt sich bei dem Flugzeug aber

um die Ex-Maschine von Böning. Böning gab die Maschine dann an Karl Hopf weiter,

welcher gebürtig aus Würzburg stammte. Hopf bemalte die Maschine zusätzlich mit dem

Stadtwappen seiner Heimatstadt."

"Walter Boening had no connection to Wuerzburg. But this was the ex-aircraft of Boening.

Boening passed the craft on to Karl Hopf, who was born in Wuerzburg. Hopf painted the

additional city arms of his hometown on the craft."

I had read somewhere, that it was not clear, if this was Böning's Albatros. The "Flieger-Album"

blog seems to have cleared that. It is a great website anyway - go there and check it out, chaps.

Or, just check your OFF skins folder for confirmation. Both are in there, and have been for quite some time.

Cheers,

shredward

Well, I knew there are Jasta 76 skins of Walter Böning with a fuselage band and a capital "B", shredward.

What I wanted to point out is, that Böning had probably flown this Albatros with the Bavarian checker from

the photo at some time (without the Würzburg arms, which were added by Karl Hopf).

The great Ronny Bar might have been wrong here showing the craft as Böning's, but with the Würzburg arms.

Edited by Olham

Hallo Olham,

I apologise -:blush: they aren't in your skins folder - one of the ones that didn't make it into the last release I guess. Hopefully, we will all see Böning flying the checkerboard Tros, then passing it on to Hopf, in the next release.

Cheers,

shredward

Shredward, I understand, that you only have so much space, that you need to say "stop" somewhere.

Who else can offer 3.800 different skins - anyone? No?

And Hopf wasn't even an ace. It caught my attention, cause it looks special (and I'm sure

it must be hell to make the checker ends meet on the model!!!)

Of course I'll be glad, when you can fit it in to P4 - or P5?

Olham, I am trying to find information on Ltn dR Kurt Monnington, he flew Fokker D VII with Jasta 18. I am building a 1/4 scale RC model of his Fokker D VII, the picture I have of his craft is red & white with the Raven and skull & cross bones on the side of the airplane. I like to do the scale documentation on the pilot as well as the airplane. I have not been able to find much information on him. Do you know of a web site where I might find out more about him?

My last 1/4 scale Fokker D VII was flown by Erich Lowenhardt, I found some goof information about him and his D VII. Unfortunately, it crashed at a scale event and was a total loss. The scale model won 6 trophies in the 2 years it competed in the scale events. This is a picture of Erich Lowenhardt's Fokker D VII

post-56456-0-36750600-1311703537.jpg

Oh, that Fokker looks very good, jwrich. Perhaps you make a warmer and more "broken" yellow next time -

the old colours were not so "neon". I had a colourchart from the 1950s, and there were still no such colours in use.

"The Aerodrome" has several posts and entires about Kurt Monnington;

just use the search frame there. Here are two links:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/monnington.php

http://www.frontflieger.de/3monku0t.html

Hi Olham,

Thank you for interest for the albs. The Bönings Bavarian checker craft is on the list, and i have several photos of it and some profiles.

Best

Arto

Ah, good to hear, Paarma.

I don't envy you for this job - making the checker pattern back and sides meet, will be torture, I guess.

Olham, I am trying to find information on Ltn dR Kurt Monnington, he flew Fokker D VII with Jasta 18. I am building a 1/4 scale RC model of his Fokker D VII, the picture I have of his craft is red & white with the Raven and skull & cross bones on the side of the airplane. I like to do the scale documentation on the pilot as well as the airplane. I have not been able to find much information on him. Do you know of a web site where I might find out more about him?

My last 1/4 scale Fokker D VII was flown by Erich Lowenhardt, I found some goof information about him and his D VII. Unfortunately, it crashed at a scale event and was a total loss. The scale model won 6 trophies in the 2 years it competed in the scale events. This is a picture of Erich Lowenhardt's Fokker D VII

Looky Nice. I had plans to but one of those this summer but the wife needs a Patio. However, did u scatch build or a Kit ? in any event I am envious.:salute:

Carrick58, it is built from a Balsa USA kit, they have several WW I kits, 1/4 & 1/3 scale. They are not completely scale but with a little work you can make them into a reason representation. I guess I need to explain the yellow paint, the photo shows a more neon color than the actual color on the airplane and the bright sunlight didn't help. Also, this picture was taken before I completed the weathering of the airplane. That is a process where you add an aged look, such as oil streaks and a dirty wore look. This is done with an air brush and shrubbing newspaper print on the painted surfaces.

Every two years the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio has a three day Dawn Patrol event featuring full scale flying WW I aircraft and RC scale aircraft, displays, rein-actors dressed period costumes and vehicles of the era, of course there are the ventors. This event has a huge following, people come from all around the world to attend. This year it is September 24-27 2011, but they will skip 2013 and hold it in 2014 to mark the beginning of World War I. It well worth a visit.

Rich

Hi Olham,

Yes you absolutely right. The checker pattern is challenging skinning job i have ever done. But the work is in progress. Meaby some day...

Ah, good to hear, Paarma.

I don't envy you for this job - making the checker pattern back and sides meet, will be torture, I guess.

Sorry that should have been dirty and worn look . You get the idea. :grin:

Rich