I did a clean install of Win7 and loaded the Strike Fighters 2 series and reinstalled the Modern Warfare Korea mod. It all works fine, but I just don't seem to be able to last more than a few seconds in the air. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a fairly realistic representation of flying in a modern SAM-rich environment?

My first mission in a F-15C I had just detected a flight of MiG-21MFs and was turning to engage when I was hit by a pair of Aphid C AAMs. As I watched my flaming aircraft drop towards the deck, it was hit by at least 3 SAMs - An SA-6 and two SA-17s. Talk about overkill - I think once it hit the ground, a North Korean peasant even came out of a hut and threw stones at the smoking wreckage!

I tried it from the other side by taking a MiG-21 and lasted just a few seconds. Two AIM-9 sidewinders blew me apart, while Red Crown was still in the middle of saying "You're clear. No bandits in your area."

What am I doing wrong? Should I fly into the target area rather than warping? I seem to arrive and evaporate to a combination of AAMs and SAMs almost immediately. Even diving for the deck only buys me a minute or so. Should I turn the difficulty down? I am willing to entertain any suggestions...

I personally prefer flying to target area, because that way you have a way better situational awareness of what is going on instead of warping straight into fire. I play with almost all set to hard and in SAM-rich enviroment I drop chaff from time to time and NEVER fly straight for more than a few secs. TY90 and LD2000 Anti-air systems are extremely lethal, so try to avoid them as you´d try to avoid plague. Fly low and fly fast. That usually works for me to get the job done, but not always. That´s why it´s so much fun. Good luck!!! :good:

re: "Red Phoenix" by Larry Bond

fast and low

and you're probably getting hit by the wrong ones, too. The NKs have one battery of SA-5s near Kaesong, all the rest should only be 2s and 3s. They have few, if any SA-8 style. AND....there should be no SAMs before 1970 (the first deployment of the their SA2s, and some 3s)

Trust me -- I know where they all are, including the NIKE, HAWK and Patriot batteries in the South.

Now, if we can just finish the 50s mod, I can release the 'modern' version too, with all the insanity

My mission dates are all around 2015, so I'm not sure what systems have become available in the Modern Warfare Korea mod by that time. Certainly the after-action report identified the missiles as SA-17s. That particular game install has only the Modern Warfare Korea mod installed - completely vanilla - so there aren't any stray SAM systems except what came in the mod install. It's too bad, because it looks like fun - it's just way too deadly for me to get my teeth into!

Hmmm... Having a lot more luck in 2011. Although my JH-7A did get shot down by ground fire from a 120 Rheinmetal cannon on a K4 tank. Nice shootin', Tex!

What am I doing wrong? Should I fly into the target area rather than warping? I seem to arrive and evaporate to a combination of AAMs and SAMs almost immediately.

This.

I've found that using the warp command, especially in a high threat environment like Modern Korea just puts me in a world of hurt.

It will drop me somewhere already being lit up by fire control radars and with a whole bunch of Migs and/or SAMs bearing down on me.

As boulder has stated, flying to the target allows you much better situational awareness.

Also after a few missions you will start to remember where the enemy SAMs are situated, and can plan evasive routes around them.

The mission will often generate a suicidal route right over high concentrations of the damn things.

Get down low and the AAA is deadly, so I prefer to fly high, and use a roundabout route to avoid the worst of the SAMs, using ECM, chaff and evasive manoevers if I do get targeted.

If you can hook up with any friendly flights heading in the same direction that might be useful too.

Good luck Harryleith :salute:

Guest Pfunk

Never, ever warp in SF2. You get dumped into a situation where everyone is primed and ready but you.

I'm going to vent here for a second with our terrain makers. What is this incessant need to have enough SAMs in a terrain that it looks like a forest of telephone poles getting launched at you?

It's not like the AI can handle it, anyway. Well-defended target areas are a must, I agree, but festooning a terrain with so many SAMs it looks like an Iranian missile test is just insane in this game. It might be realistic (Hanoi was once the most well-defended city from air attacks in the world) but if real ADA was as effective as what this game does, Operation Desert Storm would have been over. Fast.

We have to have balance. Fun and realism.

- so there aren't any stray SAM systems except what came in the mod install.

Then, I respectfully submit that the mod itself is at fault. If anybody knows, through extensive research and placements, over the 4 years the terrain has been building, it's me.

I'd also suggest just running a little search on NK and it's air defenses ... you'll find that what I said above is true. The data I used was current as of 2009. I highly doubt the NKs are going to have those 'modern' weapons. I never found even a single reference to SA-6s, let alone the "Big Boys" (now, of course, 7s would all over the place, as that's a MANPADS)

As proof, if you really want, shoot me a PM.

Guest Pfunk

Kevin, did the NK's ever get the SA-3?

2, 3, and 1 battery of 5s

you should see the SAM/AD rings around Pyngpongyang!! (and though Hanoi was bad....)

Sqmd shot (dosent show the rivers) --->

Edited by Wrench