Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Nieuport12 Shadow bugs

Number one, This one is a beauty. And the FM's working out ok for me too. Number two, there are two shadow bugs coming off the top gun and the rear gun. Not sure of the exact locations (part names) but they're there on my model. See the two dark lines that go all the way to the shadow on the ground?

post-33545-0-24504100-1314096319.jpgpost-33545-0-84741200-1314096323.jpg

Edited by quack74

Hello, Quack! Happy the FM works fine this time! The shadow bug...Windows XP maybe? There is something about the "tractor beam" bug in the SF2 forum....but I think is a model issue. Don't worry. Stephen will fix it.

One quick (but somehow radical) fix if this shadow bug (related to some model bug + WindowsXP + DX9) is going to the Nieuport12.INI file. Go to CastShadow and set it as False. You'll get rid of the bug, but the plane won't have shadow....

Really super model - mega thanks stephen. But I get the same funny lines and worse, a very annoying and weird white graphical glitch - it disappears if I zoom out a fair bit. I'm playing FE2 with XP. post-25915-0-41120900-1314105648.jpg

Edited by extremeone

the white patch is a part that has no material asigned to it.That can be fixed by the model maker or the part can sometimes be removed via an .ini trick. as for the shadows I think thats an open mesh? no a 3d guy but I over hear stuff ;)

I hate it when that happens!

The white patch in the cockpit was easy. It was a box I was using for reference when I was animating the aileron push rods. I gave myself a slap for forgetting to delete it before I released the plane.

The shadow bug was more difficult. It was caused by the guns and was only visible in High graphics mode. I never figured out what was causing it, I ended up making both guns over again from scratch. I also changed the way things are linked. I can't see the glitch anymore, but I can't get to "Unlimited" graphics mode. Please test this and tell me if it's gone.

The zip file contains three new LOD files. (Nieuport12.LOD, Nieuport1202.LOD, Nieuport1203.LOD) You have to replace all three for it to work. I have also revised the file in the downloads section.

Note: If you were one of the first 6 who downloaded the zip file, you better do it again. The 1st one had a glitch in the wing gun. Sorry about that.

N12ShadowFix.zip

Edited by Stephen1918

Thanks Stephen1918! The new lods fixed the white patch. Glad it was an easy fix.

This N12 is a real beauty. Nice plane, surprised nobody did it before. All your work is excellent, but the N12 with the Etévé gun mount, the different mounting of the wing Lewis, the wing cutout (produces great shadow effects too) is a gem. Can imagine it was lots of work.

One of the best addon models done for FE. Already my all-time favourite. Thanks again!

Edited by extremeone

Thanks Stephen1918! The new lods fixed the white patch. Glad it was an easy fix.

This N12 is a real beauty. Nice plane, surprised nobody did it before. All your work is excellent, but the N12 with the Etévé gun mount, the different mounting of the wing Lewis, the wing cutout (produces great shadow effects too) is a gem. Can imagine it was lots of work.

One of the best addon models done for FE. Already my all-time favourite. Thanks again!

Did the patch take care of the lines too? I wasn't seeing them, but I have a pretty low graphics card.

I'm glad you like the N12, I really enjoyed making it.

I get the lines in many add-on planes in FE2.

Depends on my graphics settings. Fiddling around with the AA and AF in a graphics enhancer like Nvidia Control Panel can eliminate them. But fixing that is a compromise, as I need to either reduce the graphic settings or if keeping them high but eliminating the lines it can result in other side effects (like seeing some panel lines on the fuse/wings, sort of looks like stitching!).

It could be models done for FE1 don't port perfectly to FE2 (there's definitely some changes in FE2), as never experienced any of this in FE1. Or maybe because I'm running XP, so no DX11 and FE2 is designed for that I believe.

So on balance, the lines don't worry me too much, I'd rather have the graphics maxed out and FE2 is generally far better than FE1.

DK if others have a problem on FE1 though with yours, I'm assuming it is only those playing FE2.

Anyway, thanks so much for the new models - great work.

Edited by extremeone

I'm sure it has something to do with the way the model is made, because it only happens on the guns. It did happen in FE1 in High graphics mode. If I can figure out what is causing it, I can build better models in the future.

So I'm assuming that you're still seeing the lines?

It did happen in FE1 in High graphics mode.

Ah, could be. I had just upgraded PCs when FE2 came out, never had everything maxed out whilst playing FE1 but do on FE2. Could be the reason I never saw that.

So I'm assuming that you're still seeing the lines?

Yes I am. If no one here knows why, perhaps ask TK on his Forum about it?

The new LOD's did fix the shadow bugs. Thanks Stephen1918. There are a lot of 3rd party planes (older ones) that have shadow bugs. It's so annoying. Such a strange thing. It sucks having to turn off the shadows completely too. But over time some have been fixed. So just a few are left with the problem.