Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

What i would want in a space sim.

Is there a space sim that is not based around the space gate, jump gate, worm gate. Whatever you wanna call it. I would to play a space game where distances actually feel vast and travel is done by "jump engines" of some sort. Maybe light speed engines, warp engines. The universe should also be seamless. Basically you can travel from one point to the other without gates and so forth.

Do you guys know if something like this exists?

Thanx

Yeah, Freespace 2 is pretty much what he's saying he doesn't want, although the scale of the ships and distances involved are pretty significant. Xclusive, have you tried Freelancer? You'll still use jump gates when jumping between star systems, but within the systems, the playing field is vast and filled with a lot of nebulae, asteroid belts, junk fields, moons and planets etc. Using your cruise engines (prolly equivalent to Trek's full impulse) some of the systems can take 10-15 minutes to cross.

Otherwise, something like Eve would be closer to what you're looking for. The scale in that is truly immense! But everything takes place in real time, so it can take days to get to places. The only issue with it is that there can be a steep learning curve with Eve Online...

Freespace 2 is based around Subspace Nodes - aka space gates. Sounds more like he want a sandbox style game.

Thinking about it I don't think there are any anymore the old style Elite Frontier from Dos days are gone... X3TC is a great Sandbox to play in yet it has jump gates and some of those systems you get are rather large and as to the Graphics well they are the most up to date. There is Orbiter which is a Falcon version of a Flightsim so you need to do everything right just to get into orbit...

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Freespace 2 is based around Subspace Nodes - aka space gates. Sounds more like he want a sandbox style game.

Yeah, unfortunately most space current shooters/sims are divided into playing fields and use the segue of Jump nodes or Warp speed during the load phase which is exactly what Freelancer does, but compared to many sims it hardly detracts from the immersion. Even Star Trek Online is divided into placing fields that require a warp/load when transitioning them (warping from Regulus sector to Sirius or Alpha Centauri for exanple). The last games I remember that didn't load between fights or systems was the later Wing Commander series (III,IV and V) and the later Privateers. You could fly manually between navpoints, but it would take something like 20/25 mins without burners sometimes and it was generally in empty space. Still, good sim styles distances though.

There's a reason they don't make space sims like that. For the explanation, consult your copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."