Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT We might have been killed

Dear Lord above Lou... that must have been heartbreaking for you.

I guess the emergency services see this every working day of their lives..but for guys like us, it's a tragedy when it happens, in front of our eyes.

I had an incident many years ago, that still makes me feel sick... It was a motorcyclist, coming out of Brands Hatch Racecourse...I never saw the collision itself...but the sight of his legs twitching still, as they covered him with a sheet on the road...and the river of blood running into the gutter, still turns my spine cold....I remember sitting there...looking at his Boots...the laces tied up...thinking "He did those laces up this morning...and now he won't ever undo them again"..... it's such a fine line we tread each day...we risk our lives every time we wake up....thank goodness that old "It won't happen to me" think kicks in...or we would all stay locked in our houses, too terrified to go out.

You must get hardened to it in combat...perhaps it's the training or something?..I would hate to think anyone would get used to it

From my experiences Combat is a different situation... as you are trained for it but even after all the training the first time in is a frightening experience but its true what happens your training takes over and off you go somedays I still get the shakes... but its what I did for a living and accepted at the time there may be after effects due to conversations I have had with older and much wiser heads than mine.

From my experiences Combat is a different situation... as you are trained for it but even after all the training the first time in is a frightening experience but its true what happens your training takes over and off you go somedays I still get the shakes... but its what I did for a living and accepted at the time there may be after effects due to conversations I have had with older and much wiser heads than mine.

I guess so Slarti.... I cannot speak from experience, as I am happy to say, Ive never had to take up arms (voluntarily or otherwise)... but there must be 'levels' as well I guess?

I mean it is a big difference from shooting down an enemy aircraft, knowing you've killed the crew...to say, taking someone out with a Bayonet, face to face.

The end result is the same, but thats where the similarity would end

I assume 'empathy' is not a desirable emotion for a Combat Soldier

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I work in a medical profession and often see all kinds of bad things. You get used to it over time. You just can't afford to dwell on such things, otherwise you will be of no use to anybody who needs help.

But I think it might be different even for me if something terrible were to happen when I'm out of work, like a surprising car accident. I hope I'll never find myself in such a situation.

If you watch the motorbike rider (Idiot No. 2), you would think, even a wild boar could get a driving license.

And Mr. Darwin just keeps smiling.

Indeed, Hauksbee, indeed!

It get's only nasty when these idiots tear families apart on their Darwinism course.