Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Dark Falcon released!

Discovered the TFR by accident - and it seems to work mostly - need to check what the options do:

gallery_8064_327_47822.jpg

They dont have exe download for it and like ur F-16 MigBuster is it the hellinic air force

Edited by DEVIL11

Found a 1/2 hour to read through the radio stuff, and then found another 1/2 hour to set up my DTC.

And then randomly ened up with 45 minutes to try a campaign mission. Restarted the campaign and selected the same BAI mission I struggled with last time. This time it went pretty well. As we came up on the objective, 2,3, and 4 all asked for weapons free and I let them loose. Rifle(s)!

I was in the process of fiddeling around with GMT and at about the time my flight started letting them have it, I saw some blips on the radar screen. With my mavericks slaved to the FCR I was able to pick up a little black trail of ants (OK, trucks, but they looked like ants...) moving across the ground. I ground stabelized and let a couple mavericks loose on two of the trucks. I think I got one. I swung around for another pass, and at this point the sky was starting to lighten as dawn approached. That coupled with the 4 or so burning trucks meant I could use Vis mode with the mavericks and abandon the GMT. I made a couple more passes and let loose the rest of my mavericks. I saw some tracers whiz past my canopy on the last pass, but that was it. I was spiked by an SA-13 a couple times, but that never turned into anything.

I left the target area with the rest of my flight still working the target area over. I heard them engage a MiG-21 at some point. Judging by the radio calls it seemed to have gone well.

I was vectored to a long final by approach, but as I was lining up I started having trouble with the speed brakes. It took me a while to figure out that the "B" key isn't a toggle like it was in AF. I had to hold it down to keep the brakes out. By the time I figured that out I was at about 1500' AGL, abeam the threshhold, and offset about 1/2 mile to the left of centerline! The smart thing to do would have been to go around and set up a better approach, but this is a video game, dammit! I chopped the throttle, left the brakes all the way out, and started some sort of S-turn into a short approach.

Well, this was my first attemp at a Falcon landing in a few years, so needless to say, it didn't go very well. I over shot the runway centerline and stalled in a bank just a few feet off the ground off to the right of the runway. I hit the ground and snapped the landing gear off and slid for a looonnnnggg time, and then finally stopped. Hey, any landing you can walk away from...

Debrief showed I hit with 4 of my 6 mavs. Killed a bunch of fuel trucks. Sweet. Saved it and quit.

Between the new DX9 graphics, fully clickable 3d pits, and dynamic campaign, I'm having a hard time seeing myself go back to SF2 or FC2 anytime soon!

Edited by malibu43

and notice when you go near a cloud you get turbulence - reminds me of...um flying.

You have jumped right in at the deep end - I have been going through the training missions - loads of new ones and pretty good fun - especially the Impossible landing one - which isn't so bad with the ILS!

Loads of things to learn:

Tried the datalink and got that working yesterday + looks like you have to define your own FLOT line now also.

The altimeter will be incorrect unless you set the elevation manually or ask the tower for QFE.

Avionics will now overheat if you dont set the airsource to norm

HARMs now has 3 different firing modes!

Looks like you can define pre planned threats in the DTC also

The Point Track and Area mode on the TGP for LGBs are a bit of a pain against land targets I'm finding - works against ships okay

Then there is the RWS SAM-TTS mode and all the new accurate symbology on the FCR!

Oh have a good technique for deep stall recovery - and its very easy to put it into a stall now

Warheads need to be manually cooled

Camera views need minutes to warm up now.

Edited by MigBuster

MigBuster - I gotten into a couple deep stalls so far, both resulting in my F-16 pancaking into the ground!

I completed 2 more campaign missions - both scrambles as I was waiting for a SEAD strike to start. I got 3 kills in each with no red missiles fired in my direction, which makes me think I may need to bump up the difficulty a little. I also discovered I can't map the speed brakes to the second throttle on my AV8R, which is too bad. So far I haven't found a use for it...

I did add a homemade after burner detent to my AV8R. Otherwise I had a really hard time finding 100% mil power without staring at gauges. I'm going to try and get a picture of it later and show it off. I basically hot-glued a piece of bamboo skewer to the base of the stick on each side of the throttle so that the throttle lever contacts them at about 75%. I then sanded the skews down so they interfered with the throttle just enough to provide a noticeable detent, but the throttle could still be pushed past. Unfortunately, it's not adjustable, which means it might be a PITA for SF2, IL2, FC2, FE, and FSX.

If anyone has suggestions for a homemade, adjustable throttle detent, I'd love to hear them!