Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

Delete painted on decals

there are several posts in several threads on "How To Do That" ™, by me explaining what to do ™

basically, you need to create a partial template from the original skin bmp, with as many layers as necessary, repaint the affected panel and rivet lines (each a seperate layer, then fade down to match), color match the background region, paint over the insignia. Save and boom you're done

it's not that hard at all.

There are a couple of methods and it depends on the complexity of the actual skin, the nature and extent of the details and whether the decal covers two or more colours (like on a camo scheme).

When I started I used to crudely use the 'colour pick' tool and paint over the marking. This works brilliantly on a simple solid colour but less so on a skin that has a bit of 'noise' applied to it and it does obliterate details such as lines and rivets. But if you're then putting your chosen decal in the same place it doesn't work out too bad.

More recently, I tend to copy a small part of the skin close to the offending marking (so that colours and shades are a good match) and simply paste it over - sometimes in one go and sometimes in smaller pieces. This looks much neater but, as mentioned, is very tricky where colours meet like on a camo scheme.

Hope this is sufficient to get you started. Don't forget to make a copy but you can always 'undo' if you make a balls-up.

yes, but you can always add noise to the repainted layer, and fade to match. That's how I did the RAAF Mirages and the F-114 mirage (and countless others!!)

The skin in question is the Camo (not the grey one the other) of the Viggen from Skunkworks site. The insignia on the top of the wing is not placed right and the insignia on the bottom wings is skewed.

caused by misaligned meshes

Yea spinners I do the same thing *-- copy and paste nearby areas that best match the area I need to cover. Early on I decided to go with decals because with my reflective metal skin settings, painted details including insignia get washed out, while decals keep there deep colours and details.