Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT For Total War fans

Brilliant Jacobite mod Video

Thanks for posting, WM.

I've thought for a while that I might give Total War a shot. Which one would you recommend if i want to add mods?

Is it that simple? :dntknw:

:dntknw: I liked Total War till U have to have an account with Steam ( 4 internet players real time ) If it wasn't for that additional account, I recommend Total War and Cliffs of Dover.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Have Fun

Edited by carrick58

Thanks for posting, WM.

I've thought for a while that I might give Total War a shot. Which one would you recommend if i want to add mods?

I recommend either Empire Total War...or better still...Napoleon Total War Tranquillo.

There are plenty of mods available for both...a bit of a pain to install some of them..but well worth the effort

Like Carrick says, you do need Steam to play them...but thats just the way things are going i'm afraid.

When I'm not playing OFF or FSX...you'll find me playing these...I just love them!

(Have to say, I'm not impressed with the new Shogun Total War however)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Nice mod, but the gunner on the cannon has the tamper (right term?) half in the barrel and half out.

Indeed Hauksbee...it's a bit of a known issue actually...though a small detraction :drinks:

Hi WM,

Where would this mod be found please? As a closet Jacobite - like many Scots - I'd love to give a try, to at least get past Derby..

Mike

Edited by Mike Dora

Thanks for posting, WM.

First off thanks for the link Widow - seems like a nice mod. I have played Rome Total War, Empire Total War, Napoleon Total War and Shogun 2 Total War and of the three I would recommend Napoleon. I like the time period for Empire better but it was a very buggy game and although it's been patched, it still doesn't rise to the level of Napoleon IMO. Shogun 2 is a bit too 'arcadish' for me and I'm not a huge fan of Japanese history. Mods can be a bit of a pain in the arse but once you get used to installing them it's not too difficult.

I did quite a few commentary videos mostly on Napoleon and a few on Empire and Shogun 2 so if you want to see them firsthand check out my Youtube channel here. Napoleon has a great mod called The Great War (WWI) and it is a blast to play. The artillery is outrageous and it creates a real 'meatgrinder' affect.

Edited by Shiloh

:drinks:UK Widowmaker: Great Reviews :clapping:

Thank you Sir :drinks:

Oh dear ... it isn't good for me to see these. They're just too good!

I wargamed the Napoleonic period for years, and the American Civil War more recently with the Fire and Fury rules.

The Jacobite Rebellions have sort of haunted me since I was kid ... my Mom still has a copy of a poem I wrote about them when I was about 10! I never wargamed them though, so, Widowmaker, that's a very intriguing video. Oh ... and I still have some half painted Samurai figures in the loft from a project that never properly took off.

I enjoyed Rome Total War, and my long time wargaming friend keeps urging me to get Napoleon Total War so he can see if he wants it. If it wasn't for OFF I may well have caved in, but so little computer time available ... must stay strong!

Might just look at the reviews and things again, though. I just have one question at the moment ... Shiloh, what is the song that's playing over the Gettysburg video?

Edited by Wayfarer

Oh dear ... it isn't good for me to see these. They're just too good!

I wargamed the Napoleonic period for years, and the American Civil War more recently with the Fire and Fury rules.

The Jacobite Rebellions have sort of haunted me since I was kid ... my Mom still has a copy of a poem I wrote about them when I was about 10! I never wargamed them though, so, Widowmaker, that's a very intriguing video. Oh ... and I still have some half painted Samurai figures in the loft from a project that never properly took off.

I enjoyed Rome Total War, and my long time wargaming friend keeps urging me to get Napoleon Total War so he can see if he wants it. If it wasn't for OFF I may well have caved in, but so little computer time available ... must stay strong!

Might just look at the reviews and things again, though. I just have one question at the moment ... Shiloh, what is the song that's playing over the Gettysburg video?

If you're a Wargaming fan Wayfarer, you and your friend should seriosly consider it.

Naturally, the Battle scenes are what people want to see in a Video....but the Campaign would prove a real challenge for fans of Wargaming.

(much more of a Challenge, than the late, great Rome Total War I have to say) :drinks:

If you're a Wargaming fan Wayfarer, you and your friend should seriosly consider it.

Naturally, the Battle scenes are what people want to see in a Video....but the Campaign would prove a real challenge for fans of Wargaming.

(much more of a Challenge, than the late, great Rome Total War I have to say) :drinks:

Yes, I bought RTW for the battles and then found that the Campaign was by far the more absorbing part. I used to play out all the battles, rather than take the computer result, but that was just because I couldn't stand those occasions where a unit of peasants would rout several units of my elite cavalry! Could happen, I know, but if so I'd rather it was through my own stupidity!

'Quiet' by Paul Simon. I liked it's haunting qualities for this subject matter. Here are the lyrics.

I am heading for a time of quiet

When my restlessness is past

And I can lie down on my blanket

And release my fists at last

I am heading for a time of solitude

Of peace without illusions

When the perfect circle

Marries all beginnings and conclusions

And when they say

That you're not good enough

Well the answer is

You're not

But who are they

Or what is it

That eats at what you've got

With the hunger of ambition

For the change inside the purse

They are handcuffs on the soul, my friends

Handcuffs on the soul

And worse

I am heading for a place of quiet

Where the sage and sweetgrass grow

By a lake of sacred water

From the mountain's melted snow

Edited by Shiloh

'Quiet' by Paul Simon. I liked it's haunting qualities for this subject matter. Here are the lyrics.

Thanks Shiloh. I thought it sounded like Paul Simon at times, but wasn't sure. It certainly did suit the video.

I agree Wayfarer...Nothing worse than losing a Crack Legion, to a Bunch of Farmers!

I recommend either Empire Total War...or better still...Napoleon Total War Tranquillo.

There are plenty of mods available for both...a bit of a pain to install some of them..but well worth the effort

Like Carrick says, you do need Steam to play them...but thats just the way things are going i'm afraid.

When I'm not playing OFF or FSX...you'll find me playing these...I just love them!

(Have to say, I'm not impressed with the new Shogun Total War however)

Thanks, m8. I'll look for Napoleon (not the man, of course).