Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

For any other single player fantasy RPG fans out there, Skyrim - the next in line from the Elder Scrolls series from Bethesda - is probably already on your radar, but just in case it isn't here's a great new interview with Todd Howard that releases all kinds of new and exciting information about the game. It's a multi-part interview so you can either watch the segments on the other games or fast forward to the next part involving Skyrim. There is LOTS of in-game video time shown during the interview and all of it is pretty much jaw dropping, IMHO. Especially the parts where it shows two dragons fighting each other. You'll just have to watch the interview to find out why...

http://www.gametrail...ers-tv/137?ch=1

From everything I've seen, according to this interview and the ones I've seen before, it looks like Bethesda is putting the same kind of attention to detail into every aspect of Skyrim that OBD is putting into P4.

Just in case you haven't seen some of the latest screenshots of this totally open world, here's a few to show you what's in store.

Edited by Hellshade

This is looking very good, Hellshade - like something for long winter eves.

How is the movement & fighting control there?

I have bought "Dragon Age" recently, but didn't like the way of the controls.

Todd Howard says that the controls are very intuitive. The left mouse button controls your left hand, the right button your right hand. So if you have a shield in your left hand and a sword in your right, pressing the left mouse button will raise it up to block and then the right button will swing your sword. You can also bash creatures with your shield so that they are staggered for a few moments, allowing you time to drink a potion or get in some extra free attacks. You can dual wield almost any combination, including spells. So a shield in one hand and a fireball spell in the other. Or, put a fireball spell in each hand and combined them for an even more powerful effect. There are also over 280 Perks to choose from as you level up to help further make your character different and I read that the game is "balanced" up to level 50...as opposed to level 20 in Oblivion - it's predecessor - and has a max level of 70 for those with tremendous stamina to push it that hard. Dragon Age was pretty fun, but this is an entirely different type of game. And in Skyrim, you have the choice of playing in first or third person as you prefer.

Here are a few other other articles of information for those interested.

Three Hours with Skyrim

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1200474p1.html

Dragons in Skyrim Will Hurt You

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1210101p1.html

Skyrims Perfect World

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1191758p1.html

Skyrim: The RPG for the rest of us

http://games.ign.com.../1199206p1.html

Which Race will you play in Skyrim

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1196606p1.html

"Leaked" 360 manual hints at controls and abilities

http://imgur.com/a/RFee1#yTU7B

Edited by Hellshade

I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to this!

I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to this!

Aye. Good thing I've already budgeted a new box shortly for P4 :)

Hellshade, would you say the other "Elder Scroll" games would still be of an acceptable graphic quality?

Should one who is totally new to this RPG play the others first? Or is it a new story now?

Hellshade, would you say the other "Elder Scroll" games would still be of an acceptable graphic quality?

Should one who is totally new to this RPG play the others first? Or is it a new story now?

I run a heavily modded version of Oblivion and it is extremely fun. The mods add things that weren't native to the game like companions, blood spray, decapitations and on and on and on. I run a ridiclous 178 mods so as you can imagine...

That said, even with all of the mods, Obivion simply won't hold a candle to Skyrim and with the release of Skyrim only about 3 weeks away, you're better off waiting for that. Skyrim will be incorporating a lot of those mods into the actual game from the start. Companions, archery changes, etc. Also, they will give you enough of the lore for the Elder Scrolls series so that you can easily find your way around and know what's going on. Playing the previous Elder Scroll series really won't be necessary to enjoying Skyrim but if you've got $20 to blow for the Oblivion GOTY Edition and 3 weeks with absolutely nothing to do, it will definately provide some entertainment.

By the way, Skyrim will be completely open to mods just like Oblivion was. There are literally tens of thousands of Oblivion mods since it's release in 2006 and I can't see why Skyrim would have any less of a community developed around it. The advantage to the open world, totally single player gameplay is that with the mods, you can craft exactly the kind of world you wish to adventure in, just in case they missed anything you wanted when the game shipped.

Here's some videos of Oblivion (heavily modded) in action.

Stairway Battle 1080HD (1:04)

Vilja NPC Companion 1080HD (2:44)

Thanks a lot for all the good info, Hellshade. Not being wealthy, I'll wait 3 weeks.

+Hellshade...what's the release date m8?

No need to play the series from the start (most of the pre-Oblivion ones won't run on today's hardware anyway) because there's really no solid connection between 1 game and the next. About the only thing the games have in common is:

1. All games always start with your character in prison for reasons unknown and not mattering a bit afterwards. Breaking out of jail serves as a tutorial.

2. All games are set in the same overall world and in chronological order, but separated by hundreds of miles and decades or centuries, so practically nothing carries over from 1 to the next except very general background info. In all the time in between, there have been the usual amount of wars and disasters so not even the political landscape is the same.

For instance, Skyrim is set 200 years after Oblivion. Skyrim itself previous has just been a province name on the edge of maps, a place you couldn't go to and about which you knew only vague rumors. This was true even if your character was a Nord (the race from Skyrim), as if your family had moved away from there long ago. So the game will be virgin territory even to veterans of the series.

If you've never played an Elder Scrolls game, you're in for a treat. When they say "open world", they mean it. There are outer limits to the province the game is set in, of course, but you can walk around for literally miles in all directions within it. Each game has a "main quest", solving whatever major periodic crisis threatens to destroy the whole world this time around, but you're under no obligation to even attempt it. Instead (or in addition), you can follow all sorts of other story lines, such as becoming the leader of one of the many game factions, not to mention zillions of 1-off side quests. And then there are DLC, mods, etc., with even more to do. And you can replay it over and over with different types of characters and always find something new to do.

+Hellshade...what's the release date m8?

11.11.11 sir. Novemeber 11th, 2011. Just about 3 weeks away. I cannot wait. Probably will need to setup an IV tube net to my PC. :grin:

This is basically the fantasy game I have been waiting to play all of my life. Dragons done right in an open world where you create any kind of character you want in an unlimited adventure. I figure the 150 hand crafted dungeons that it ships with should keep me busy for a little while.

Thanks Hellshade!....I might leave purchasing it until around December 5th...Cos, I'll have my new PC built by then! :grin:

You guys are correct...the fact that it's truly openworld, means it's replayability is huge...and it looks like we'll get some proper GORE this time around!...Vanilla Oblivion was a bit girly!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Thanks Hellshade!....I might leave purchasing it until around December 5th...Cos, I'll have my new PC built by then! :grin:

You guys are correct...the fact that it's truly openworld, means it's replayability is huge...and it looks like we'll get some proper GORE this time around!...Vanilla Oblivion was a bit girly!

It's rated M for Mature here in the States. Specifically mentions violence, partial nudity (I hope not from the male Orcs *shudders*) and some other non-kiddish stuff. Gore should be good.

Thank you, Hellshade and Bullet - it's on the top of the list!(Well, right below P4 of course!).

Edited by Olham

Sounds exciting, H! Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait until it is in the bargain bin--and has loads of user mods added to it!

I'm sure the inhabitants of Skyrim will welcome you with open arms, Olham. Look, here come some of your new friends now.

I'm sure the inhabitants of Skyrim will welcome you with open arms, Olham. Look, here come some of your new friends now.

Olham might want to bring along his Albatros for this mission. :grin:

Vanilla Oblivion was a bit girly!

This shows the futility of censorship, especially in the Information Age. Originally, "vanilla" Oblivion was going to be rated M, so had nudity, gore, all that. But at the last minute, some suit decided they'd sell more copies if they had it rated T, so the turned off the gore and made new textures with permanent skivvies hiding all the naughty bits. However, all the original content was still there, accessible via simple cheat codes. The ESRB Ghouls only saw the non-cheat version so gave Oblivion a T, but within about 1 week after release decided that because everybody knew the cheat, it should be rated M. In order to save the T rating, Bethesda promptly came out with a patch that deleted all the naughty content completely, even via cheat codes, at which point you had to install a mod to get it back.

So this this time around, Bethesda is cutting the crap. M from the start. Censorship was silly in Medieval times and it's silly now, due to everybody's intimate familiarity with the naughty side of life from day 1:

gallery_45917_700_23807.jpg

Olham might want to bring along his Albatros for this mission. :grin:

Skyrim dragons vs WWI aircraft. Hmmmm. Now there's a mod I'd love to see.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Well, if I couldn't have an Albatros, I'd love to be a Dragon Rider.

Well, if I couldn't have an Albatros, I'd love to be a Dragon Rider.

You can!...we have a Snipe coming in P4!! :lol:

Thanks for the link. Been a fan of the Elder Scrolls since Morrowind. My Oblivion install was massive due to all of the mods.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, check out this fan-created mod for Oblivion:

http://www.lostspires.com/

It adds a complete new guild with a full story that is--believe it or not--as good as if not better than anything in the basic game.

I have the Lost Spires mod and column5 is correct. It's really great. Hopefully mods of this calibur will make it into Skyrim as well.

Hellshade