Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Speaking of classic games, Bethesda is allowing anyone who wants to download the full version of the 1996 classic Elder Scrolls II : Daggerfall directly from their website. Alot of folks say it was the best of the series in terms of being a huge, open world.

I wouldn't say Daggerfall was the best. Looking back on it, it was pretty clunky. It wasn't really 3D, it was 2D tricked into approximating 3D in the same what the original Doom did. All the characters were 2D sprites so an infinite number of enemmies could stack up front-to-back in zero depth and really whallop you all at once.

I wouldn't say Daggerfall was the best. Looking back on it, it was pretty clunky. It wasn't really 3D, it was 2D tricked into approximating 3D in the same what the original Doom did. All the characters were 2D sprites so an infinite number of enemmies could stack up front-to-back in zero depth and really whallop you all at once.

That reminds me of the old "Bards Tales" for the C64. You now face 9999 berserkers, 9999 berserkers, 9999 Berserkers, and 9999 Berserkers. MIBL anyone?

Edited by FenrisWlf

Hellshade and itifonhom, you have now definitely infected me with your hype.

Must I expect the game will need to get patched a lot, before it will be okay?

probably not patched a lot Olham,but there will be patches soon after release if my guessing is right.ive played all the elder scrolls games,and daggerfall,and the great morrowind are definitely the best

oblivion is actually pretty poor in my opinion pre modded.but there are some great mods out there that turn it into a really good game.i dont want to sound negative and as allways il reserve judgement

till ive read some reviews etc,but whilst im really looking forward to skyrim ive just got this niggling feeling about it not living up to expectations,i really hope im wrong cmon hellshade convince me :rolleyes:

Edited by Adger1971

I guess we will soon find out. A game about a world this big, that's completely open for the player to do whatever they want and with so many possible options is bound to have bugs somewhere. The good news is that Todd Howard says they have a far better method of tracking the bugs down automatically now. They would run some program overnight that would simulate things a player would do and then parse the log in the morning looking for anything that broke. This way they can test hundreds, if not thousands of things every night. Fairly impressive. I might not have too much faith in their new bug tracking app, however they also completely overhauled and re-wrote code for the weather (including wind effects on leaves, water, snow, etc), facial textures and emotions, blended animation systems, draw distance, inventory, the menu system, melee, archery and spell combat, questing systems, AI behavior, perks, skill advancement, automatic and manual game save options, etc, etc, etc. That's part of the reason they renamed it the Creation engine. Because it's been re-written from the ground up. From the video interviews, 3 hour game journalist previews and gameplay footage I've seen, it all seems very solid.

In my personal opinion, it won't be perfection. There will be bugs. However it'll be so far advanced from the previous Elder Scrolls and Fallout series that the few bugs that show up are hardly going to be game breakers. And I have no doubts they'll patch it up nicely. I expect after all of the effort they put into the Creation engine, it's not only going to be used for this one game. It'll likely be used on at least the next Fallout game they do as well, so they are going to be highly motivated to make everything work as best as possible so things go even smoother for their next title or two. Whatever they might miss, I'm guessing an army of modders will be more than happy to fix.

Or I could be completely wrong and it'll be a big steaming pile of ----. But I doubt it. I already fully pre-paid for my copy and I expect to be completely immersed in Skyrim for quite some time. In fact probably until P4 comes out.

If you don't hear from me for awhile, don't take it personally. :grin:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Well, to be honest, I'm really slow at finding bugs in an open world game! Everytime I discover one, I always thing I've done something wrong or I got to do something I haven't. Most of the times I realize it was a bug long after the game is over! But with so many things to do and discover, I just don't care either. I bought my new PC two weeks ago just to run Skyrim and I am going to enjoy it like hell, I know it. The only thing that can destroy my hype, is putting the DVD into the slot and game doesn't start!

So Olham, don't wait for the patches, just go for it!

I have never played any RPGs which are settled in ancient worlds, except DIABLO, SACRED and DRAGON AGE.

Now, if I don't like the graphics and the actions handling/"steering" of the character in DRAGON AGE - would

"SKYRIM" be near that, or rather different?

Skyrim, like all the Elder Scrolls games, is typically played from first person view, just like shooters. So it's very different from Dragon Age.

Ah, that sounds more like in STALKER then - that should be good; I prefer that.

Hasse Wind is correct. Skyrim is designed to play from first person perspective, however they have improved the 3rd person view so now the game is completely playable from 3rd person view as well. The choice is yours. It will occassionally switch to 3rd person view on it's own for slow motion "kill cam" where you perform a stunning finishing move on your opponents. Then it switches immediately back to first person for you. It's definately nothing like the other three you mentioned.

Hellshade

Okay, thanks, Hellshade.

Now come on: tell us how much they paid you for all this good PR work! :grin:

Okay, thanks, Hellshade.

Now come on: tell us how much they paid you for all this good PR work! :grin:

No pay, unfortunately. It's just the same level of enthusiasm that cranked out well over 100 P3 1080HD videos. Can't wait to start making some P4 videos either!

Gamebanshee says the first 4 page review was done in an Australian site and provides some quotes. However when you go to the site, there is no review there. Probably pulled because I believe Bethesda has a gag order on reviews until Nov 10th. At any rate, the reviewer gave it a 95% overall and addresses Olhams concerns about bugs in the last paragraph. Essentially say what I did. There are bugs. They are few and far between and not game breaking. You will hardly notice them since everything else is so epic in nature.

http://gamebanshee.c...rim-review.html

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I found the full review. Read at your own risk. They warn of possible spoilers and that it may have been rushed.

Of note, the graphics were rated the lowest point of the game at 92%, while gamplay was rated the highest at 97%. Sound came in at an even 95%. If the graphics are the lowest point in the game, it ought to do quite well.

http://www.platformnation.com/2011/11/06/skyrims-first-review-leaked/

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Werewolf footage leaked showing a player character transforming into a werewolf in 3rd person and then going on a ramage. Not sure how long before it's deleted, but here it is for the time being. Looks awesome and at points quite brutal.

http://pc.gamespy.co.../1211758p1.html

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Nice review and I want to be a werewolf! :good:

Official word has it that Skyrim will have a patch to 1.1 on launch day for all platforms. Patch notes were not released at this time and will be included on launch day.

So that means that Skyrim v 1.1 will launch on 11.11.11. Geeze guys. Do you think can we get just a few more 1's in there? I'm afraid next they might raise the price to $111.11. :blink:

Hellshade

I would have it for 11.11€ alright!

Hey Hellshade, one feature I really liked at Oblivion was the buying of all the houses and such, do you think something like it is implemented in Skyrim?

I think so. I know for a fact you can get married, so the house thing would seem like a done deal.

Hellshade

I suppose I came quite late to the Fantasy genre...never played Morrowind...and only arrived at the Party to see Oblivion.

Loved the old 'Ultima' series however...and Dark Messiah takes some beating

I think so. I know for a fact you can get married, so the house thing would seem like a done deal.

I don't understand the attraction of getting married in real life, let alone in an escapism thing like an RPG. Tried it once, never again. And I'd think that because the big draw of such things as Skyrim is that they're totally different worlds you can escape into for a while, then very few folks would want to get married in there, either :grin:

I don't understand the attraction of getting married in real life, let alone in an escapism thing like an RPG. Tried it once, never again. And I'd think that because the big draw of such things as Skyrim is that they're totally different worlds you can escape into for a while, then very few folks would want to get married in there, either :grin:

Because I'm married I don't have time for games - why would I want to get married in-game when I do get a few minutes to myself? Just kidding dear. :bye:

Edited by Shiloh