Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Anyone know whether there is an Arena in Skyrim, like in Oblivion?

You'll be pleased to know BH...that if you complete the Dog Quest...you 'may' get a chance to get ya own back on the Mangy beast! :good:

Well, that makes me feel better. Not that I can finally kill that damn dog, but that I didn't offend you with my tirade about it. I know Brits are dog-worshippers and you seem especially devout, so I was worried there :grin: . Glad to know you were as annoyed with that damned thing as I was. Proper dogs should be seen and not heard, felt, or especially smelt. And I must say that in the UK, while there are dogs literally everywhere, you hardly ever notice them even when they've been sitting between you and the local you've been drinking with at the pub for the last few hours. That's how dogs should behave. But that possessed dog is a total disgrace!

I agree BH..... I tend to think they 'Mirror' their owners!...The Skyrim one certainly does! (without giving too much away) :good:

It does indeed have amazing visuals. Here is my current desktop. "The Road to Riften"

Very pretty fall colors!

I use a couple of dark ones so my icons show up better. One of them is the village of Dragon Bridge with mist clinging to the slopes. The other is me and my pal Erandur realizing we've stumbled into a bigger mess than we expected...

post-45917-0-42263000-1323923310.jpg

post-45917-0-25668700-1323923352.jpg

I agree BH..... I tend to think they 'Mirror' their owners!...The Skyrim one certainly does! (without giving too much away) :good:

Yeah, I know who that is from the 1st part of the quest. A right bastard, that one.

BTW, if you're still interested in smithing, once you get smithing over 50 and do a few quests that shall remain nameless, you can make stuff like this sword. I've got 2 of these and a complete set of flawless scaled armor (steel, not dragon) to go with them (finally got out of that poncy elf armor, but still have a flawless elf bow). I don't use any enchanted items other than rings and necklaces. With my perks in light armor, my AR is 256, which seems to be sufficient for most fights I get into. Mostly because I blenderize my foes pretty quickly with every damage-, sword-, dual-wield-, and critical-related perk my 1-hand skill of 63 allows. Of course, having a powerful battlemage sidekick doesn't hurt, either :grin:

post-45917-0-83267900-1323923791.jpg

Holy sh*t!.... I want that!...GIMME...Or I'll cleft thee in Twain! :rofl:

Holy sh*t!.... I want that!...GIMME...Or I'll cleft thee in Twain! :rofl:

I suppose I should mention that this sword is only (flawless) because after I made it, I sharpened it while wearing a smith-buffing item. It would just have been (exquisite) without that, but IIRC would still have been good for 42 damage which ain't too shabby, either. And if you don't do the quests, you can't make Nord Hero weapons. However, without the quests but with the same level of smith skill, you can make elf swords with the same damage rating, they just weigh 12 pounds instead of 9 and look poncy.

My guy is now 30th level overall. Smith skill is 57 with the perks for steel, elven, and advanced armors. The next step up the ladder is skill 60, which allows improvement of enchanted weapons and armor. Being able to make and improve glass items comes at skill 70. I'm only just now starting to find a few glass weapons as loot and there's simply no comparison to the stuff I can make. For example, a standard glass sword does only 27 damage and I need another 13 skill points to even sharpen it. So I think I'll be keeping my pair of flawless Nord Hero swords for a while :cool: .

Now obviously, a sword with 47 base damage would be even more powerful with an enchantment on it. But that would open up the whole logistical can of worms of keeping the thing fueled up with soul gems, which entails keeping a pocket full of charged soul gems and/or having another weapon that steals souls (and would also need refueling). And that's just too much bother and expense for me. I do plan on getting the perk to improve previously enchanted items, however. That way, when I find a weapon with a good enchantment, I can bump up its base damage to put it in line with my homebrew stuff and use it until it burns out. Or I can improve enchanted armor of the type I wear. For instance, I wear scaled armor and I found a pair of scaled boots that give 30 extra stamina. But they're at base AR so I don't wear them because my unenchanted flawless scaled boots are so much better. But with the next perk, the stamina boots will also be flawless.

Maybe people missed my question earlier...So I will ask it again

Anyone know whether there is an Arena in Skyrim, like in Oblivion?

NB:..Errr nope, to answer my own question!....though one might be forthcoming in a DLC

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

NB:..Errr nope, to answer my own question!....though one might be forthcoming in a DLC

In the meantime, if you want to watch a good fight, you can always use a Mayhem scroll in the middle of the market square :cool:

Wow... that sword is insane!!

I don't know my smithing skill level off the top, but I can make Dwarven, and Elven. I'll have to try doing the same and see what happens.

I use a Elven Mace with Soul Trap, and Chillrend when I am not collecting soul gems. Seems to work really well. Chillrend has a 32 Damage

with +20 frost and a chance to paralize the victum as well. It's great in a crowd of Falmars.

I've run into quite a few Draguar Deathlords... what a PIA they are with that disarm Thu'me. The worst one is the Deathlord you face once

the Wolf Queen (name forgotten) re-appears and the Solitude Steward asks you to kill her. That whole ending scenario was hell.

BTW... WTF.... I've killed 6 Dragons over Riverwood already. That place is a magnet for Dragons. I have the Elder Scroll, maybe it's time

to kill Alduain.

I'll post my screen shots tomorrow.

OvS

BTW... WTF.... I've killed 6 Dragons over Riverwood already. That place is a magnet for Dragons. I have the Elder Scroll, maybe it's time

to kill Alduain.

I'll post my screen shots tomorrow.

OvS

Good luck with your final battle OvS!

I have video of my final battle with Alduain, however I didn't want to spoil anything that major for anyone.

But if folks want it posted, I'd be happy to do so.

Hellshade

Wow... that sword is insane!!

I don't know my smithing skill level off the top, but I can make Dwarven, and Elven. I'll have to try doing the same and see what happens.

It's all in the sharpening/tempering on the grindstone/workbench. Items straight out of the forge are pretty run-of-the-mill but they get their godlike stats from being improved. The amount you can improve something depends both your smith skill level and having the perk for the material the item is made of. If you have the perk for that material, the amount of skill needed to reach a given level of improvement is reduced, so you can improve materials you know much more than you can improve materials you don't. Because I've been going up the light armor side of the smith perk tree, I can get everything on that side up to "flawless". My skill is only 57 so I assume there are a few more levels above that. But on the heavy armor side of the tree, I can only improve dwarf and orc stuff to "superior", which is hardly worth doing.

I use a Elven Mace with Soul Trap, and Chillrend when I am not collecting soul gems. Seems to work really well. Chillrend has a 32 Damage

with +20 frost and a chance to paralize the victum as well. It's great in a crowd of Falmars.

Well, that sounds like a good trade-off. You do about 10% more base damage plus paralysis but depend on soul gems, which is an ongoing expense. Me, being too lazy to deal with soul gems and also prone to go berserk and run items completely out of charges (which used to destroy them in Oblivion--don't know if that happens in Skyrim because I haven't used one yet), I'll stick with smithing and permanently enchanted armor and jewelry for buffs.

Of course, I have an assload of 1-handed perks. In fact, I've got as many as I can get until I reach skill 80 and I'm only 63 there:

• Armsman x 4: 1-handed weapons do 80% more damage
  • Bladesman x 2: swords have a +15% chance of a criticalhit
  • Dual Fury x 2: dual-wield attacks are 35% faster
  • Fighting Stance: standing power attacks use 25% less stamina
  • Savage Strike: standing power attacks do 25% more damage and chance to decapitate for instant kill
  • On top of this, I have some flawless scaled bracers that make 1-handed attacks do 13% more damage.

When using a flawless Nord Hero Sword in each hand, no foe survives very long :cool: .

I've run into quite a few Draguar Deathlords... what a PIA they are with that disarm Thu'me. The worst one is the Deathlord you face once

the Wolf Queen (name forgotten) re-appears and the Solitude Steward asks you to kill her. That whole ending scenario was hell.

Thanks for the warning. I just got the letter to go do that one....

BH: Running out of charges on an item does NOT destroy the item. It simply stops it from using the magical power enchanted into it, but continues to do the same level of base damage.

Hellshade

... major spoilers coming out there. Can you guys mention it in the top of the post so those that are reading can skip or something?

... major spoilers coming out there. Can you guys mention it in the top of the post so those that are reading can skip or something?

I would have to agree on this one. It's such a great story and there are so many interesting things that happen, that I wouldn't want to ruin any of the suprises for anyone...nor have them ruined for me on accident. Skyrim is at least as much about story and plot as it is about combat, thankfully. Lets put up

Spoiler Alerts where needed.

Onto a slightly different subject about Skyrim. I decided to take a page from the great folks here on the OFF Forum and integrate one of the popular ideas from here into a Skyrim character. So to add real stress and tension to the game, I created a Breton Archer / Thief and am playing by Dead is Dead rules! I still save the game regularly in the off chance the game crashes, however other than that I don't allow myself to reload a previous saved game for any reason. Poor Faendal, the elven archer from Riverwood, just died to a Frost Troll (and I highly suspect one of my damn arrows) and I just had to strip him and leave him. No retries on anything. If a trap, a monster, a random dragon...anything at all kills him...my character "Michael" is dead. Wow does that add some stress to combat and make you think real hard before starting fights!! Michael just reached level 12 (during the Frost Troll fight) and my last save is upon entering High Hrothgar. I want to see how far through the main story arc I can keep him alive and how many things he can legitimately experience as a true single life adventurer. I gotta say that it definately adds an edge to the combat! Here's a few pics of Michael, my DiD character,

Hey... how did you activate the 'Clay Matthews' NPC option? Must be quite a companion... ;)

All Skyrim QB's walk with -20 Health and -10 to Stamina due to Bone Crush fear....

and "the Beast" continues to steamroll over the competition:

10 MILLION COPIES OF ‘GAME OF THE YEAR’ WINNER THE ELDER SCROLLS® V: SKYRIM™ SHIPPED

Sales and Numerous ‘Game of the Year’ Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity

December 15, 2011 (Rockville, MD) – ZeniMax® Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks’® The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360® video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.

Bethesda Softworks’® Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen ‘Game of the Year’ awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry’s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received ‘Game of the Year’ awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named ‘Most -Played Game of 2011’ by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.

“We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."

“Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history” said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. “Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.”

Skyrim is the third consecutive game developed by the team at Bethesda Game Studios® to earn ‘Game of the Year’ honors. Bethesda Game Studios, which was named ‘Studio of the Year’ at the 2011 Video Game Awards, also created the 2006 ‘Game of the Year’, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, and the 2008 ‘Game of the Year’, Fallout® 3.

To date, Skyrim has received well over 200 perfect review scores worldwide, earning the highest praise from some of the industry’s most influential critics including: USA Today, G4TV, The New York Times, GameSpy, Wired, Eurogamer, Destructoid, GamePro, Official Xbox Magazine, Joystiq, The Guardian, Famitsu and GamesRadar. G4TV describes Skyrim as “one of the greatest games ever” and Eurogamer was one of many outlets to call it a “masterpiece.”

Trust me... you WANT to know that one. It was frustrating... save a lot. No spolier released, I won't tell you how to win, or what happens... but I will say get ready for an old fashioned southern a$$ kickin'. If you never had one... it really sucks....

yeah...good idea

ATI improves Skyrim PC support

7:24 AM - APY- 0 Comments If you've been playing Skyrim on PC with an ATI graphics card, you should give the new 12.1 drivers a try. There's a couple general improvements, but they also added some Skyrim tweaks:

"
Improves performance (10-15%) in Elder Scrolls: Skyrim when Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing is enabled on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 Series for single GPU and AMD CrossfireX configurations
"

I went on a date this evening.

I said, "So, are you a vampire?"

"No," she said, with a puzzled look on her face.

I said, "So you can see your reflection and you still come out looking like that?"

I went on a date this evening.

I said, "So, are you a vampire?"

"No," she said, with a puzzled look on her face.

I said, "So you can see your reflection and you still come out looking like that?"

How'd that date go, anyway? :grin:

How'd that date go, anyway? :grin:

His balls were blue, but not for the 'usual' reasons... ;)

This is madness!!

No... THIS... IS....SKYRIM!!!!!

post-45836-0-55779200-1324132978.png

post-45836-0-75886900-1324132994.png

post-45836-0-81389000-1324133029.png

post-45836-0-59682000-1324133061.png

post-45836-0-31219100-1324133087.png

post-45836-0-03212800-1324133111.png

post-45836-0-78700200-1324133159.png

post-45836-0-71686500-1324133213.png

post-45836-0-22698700-1324133244.png

post-45836-0-36396600-1324133261.png