Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

ATI improves Skyrim PC support

7:24 AM - APY- 0 Comments If you've been playing Skyrim on PC with an ATI graphics card, you should give the new 12.1 drivers a try. There's a couple general improvements, but they also added some Skyrim tweaks:

"
Improves performance (10-15%) in Elder Scrolls: Skyrim when Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing is enabled on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 Series for single GPU and AMD CrossfireX configurations
"

Thanks Hellshade. I've been having graphic issues lately across OFF, LA Noire and Skyrim. My screen splits in two sometimes clean but often with serious noise across my screen. Sometimes it's grey with lines through it and I always have to reboot. Maybe it's an issue with the latest drivers as it started happening around 11.11 release? I tried rolling back to earlier drivers but I'm still have the same issues. I'm giving this one a try on my 6850 card and we'll see what happens.

How'd that date go, anyway? :grin:

Crap m8...She was a right pain in the Neck!.... and when I took her out for a Stake....she f*cked off!

This is madness!!

No... THIS... IS....SKYRIM!!!!!

Damn pretty pics there, OvS! I think I recognize one of those dungeons :).

BTW, the moons of Nirn have always puzzled me. I've read enough lore to know that they don't pay much attention to Kepler, Newton, and various other giants of orbital mechanics. In fact, I seem to recall being unable to figure out what was going on the Armillary DLC thing in Oblivion. But still, it's always struck me as odd that the moons are never in the same phase. And I've always thought that Nirn shoul have really bizarre and rather large tides, but I've never seen evidence of any tides at all along the various beaches.

I just started using the ENB series for Skyrim. A slight FPS hit in some areas but sure makes shadows and other things look good.

SPOILER : BUG AT THROAT OF THE WORLD!

Today I was delightfully exposed to an unknown bug at the Time Portal. If you keep your companion with you, as I did... he/she is lost forever. I read the Elder Scroll, Lydia entered the portal with me, I learned the new Thu'um'.. and left... however... Lydia never returned.

I continued on, for a few more quests following the storyline, she never reappeared... I realized this was a bug when after quite a few days, I gave-up and went to my other Housecarl to join me. She said no, that someone was already with me. I then opened the console and used a special 'teleport' cheat to put me where Lydia was. It put me at the Time Portal... so she was in there and not coming back.

I had to reload from before I entered it... otherwise, no one else could join me for the rest of the game. Avoid this by giving the 'wait here' command to your companion BEFORE you enter the portal to read the Elder Scroll.

I hope that helps someone. :)

OvS

OvS

Thanks for the warning. I guess it's even worse for you because you can't get a death certificate so can't inherit her business or collect her insurance, nor can you remarry. My condolences.

Today I was delightfully exposed to an unknown bug at the Time Portal. If you keep your companion with you, as I did... he/she is lost forever. I read the Elder Scroll, Lydia entered the portal with me, I learned the new Thu'um'.. and left... however... Lydia never returned.

OvS

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

cheers MarkL

For those PC users interested in a more Mouse & Keyboard friendly interface - SkyUI might be the mod for you. It's not completed yet, as I understand it, but they are progressing one menu at a time to improve the interface and find a balance between "dumbed down" and "Information Overkill".

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

If you try it out, be sure to let us know how well it works.

Hellshade

I'm morrrrre interrrrrested in finding the girrrrl who does the voice-overrrrrs with those rrrrreally irrrrrrritating, rrrrrrollling RRRRRRR's. If I do find herrrrrrr......I'm going to shoot herrrrrrr in the fekkin' thrrrrrrroat with a firrrrre arrrrrow.

Edited by Parky

For those PC users interested in a more Mouse & Keyboard friendly interface - SkyUI might be the mod for you. It's not completed yet, as I understand it, but they are progressing one menu at a time to improve the interface and find a balance between "dumbed down" and "Information Overkill".

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

If you try it out, be sure to let us know how well it works.

Hellshade

I've kinda go used to it now

Nice might have to install some as I have had to restart the game as one quest kept crashing me out or the character wouldnt appear where needed. But this time I know what I am doing... :rofl: so light armour and the old Bow of doom...

Nice might have to install some as I have had to restart the game as one quest kept crashing me out or the character wouldnt appear where needed. But this time I know what I am doing... :rofl: so light armour and the old Bow of doom...

Sounds like you're starting to get into it a bit more now m8?,,,It takes a while, but once you get drawn in...it's great

Word to the wise.... When you kill a dragon, let it burn before you loot it. Last night I made the mistake of looting one immediately the "Search Frost Dragon" message popped up after the death blow. Although I got all the loot, the dragon never caught fire so I didn't absorb the soul. I'm thinking my looting interrupted the burning animation. I

It's OK, though. I have plenty of souls in the bank and dragons I killed later burned properly if I let them. And it was kinda nice to have an intact specimen to study up close without it trying to bite me. They look very nice with all sorts of details on them that you miss during the heat of the battle. So if you can afford to waste a soul, you might want to give this a try yourself.

In other news, when I got home to Whiterun late one night, there was a beautiful aurora and moon over Dragonsreach so I took a pic of it for my new wallpaper. Once I had it up, I realized I'd captured the other important things as well: the Talos shrine, the Skyforge, and Jorrvaskr. Damn--I should have realized that at the time and framed the shot to include them better. Oh well, I'll try it again another night.

post-45917-0-78349700-1324396919.jpg

Sounds like you're starting to get into it a bit more now m8?,,,It takes a while, but once you get drawn in...it's great

Very true its just I have had to switch off my I would like this this and this and just hack and slash to death everything... or as my new Character shoot them in the Eye to death... :drinks:

Very true its just I have had to switch off my I would like this this and this and just hack and slash to death everything... or as my new Character shoot them in the Eye to death... :drinks:

Absolutely my friend...it's the British Way!...if they can't take a joke....slit their Gizzards, and eat their pulsating hearts!......it's worked for centuries!!! :lol:

Absolutely my friend...it's the British Way!...if they can't take a joke....slit their Gizzards, and eat their pulsating hearts!......it's worked for centuries!!! :lol:

Hmmm gizzards... great warm fresh and wholesome food just right for those cold winter days...

Hmmm gizzards... great warm fresh and wholesome food just right for those cold winter days...

With a nice glass of Chianti...pfffpffffpfff

With a nice glass of Chianti...pfffpffffpfff

It seems my own cannibalism has caught up with me. I've been invited to join a group of like-minded individuals.....

In other news, ol' Snotr finally got married. My lovely bride is Senna, a randy little Breton wench and erstwhile junior priestess at the temple of Dibella. It was that last part that decided me on her as opposed to all the other randy wenches I've met; enthusiasm plus professional training trumps mere enthusiasm. Lydia, who's still shacking up with me, attended the wedding and didn't look happy (see pic below). However, I left the 2 of them alone together in my tiny Whiterun flat and when I got back home, they'd become friends and were both very glad to see me. Life is good :beach:

post-45917-0-35746000-1324677485.jpg

SPOILER ALERT: Post contains info about civil war quests.

I finally joined up with the Stormcloaks. After a few minor skirmishes, Ulfric decided to take Whiterun. So, I go there and meet up with the Stormcloak army. The first thing I see is a couple of catapults lobbing fireballs indescriminantly into the city. EEK! My house, harem, and treasure are in there! :yikes: Needless to say, this gave me a great sense of urgency to finish the battle as quickly as possible.

But that wasn't my decision. We couldn't launch the assault until Ulfric's general Galmar Stone-Fist (who seems to be the real driving force behind the war) finished his peptalk. He's a longwinded bastard and all the while, those catapults were still firing. I was really tempted to go smack the crews. But finally, the whistles blew and we went over the top.

Approaching the walls, I was dismayed to see the stables in flaming ruins. What's happened to my house? That was a bigger worry than the storm of arrows coming from the gatehouse. So needless to say, I went berserk, slashing through the ranks of Imperial soldiers and Whiterun guards to get at the drawbridge mechanism in no time at all. Once I had the gate open, the main Stormcloak army charged in and the remnants of the defenders fell back to inner lines further up the hill. I dashed after them, casting a quick glance at my house as I went by. Miraculously, it was unscathed, although the blacksmith shop next door and several other nearby structures were in flames. That was something of a relief, but now I was worried that my house's lack of damage would make it the number one target when the soldiers were given their traditional payment looting the captured city. No time to lose!

So, onwards and upwards, through baracades and burning debris. I was the 1st to enter Dragonsreach and the showdown with the Jarl, who was rather miffed at how I was repaying his previous favors to me. As soon as that was taken care of, back down the hill to my house. Thankfully, all was well there. Lydia and Senna were calmly eating breakfast together but were very glad to see me :cool:

What happened? Did everybody swear off Skyrim for the new year? :blink:

My nephew has gone on home so I can play again. But it was fun watching over his shoulder as his archmage blasted a swath of Destruction across Skyrim. I've GOT to try that someday. While he was at it, he found a couple of humorous glitches:

gallery_45917_727_67991.jpg

This was by far the funniest one. He was just "walking along" (Whirlwind Sprint, regular sprint, repeat while the other recharges--he covers ground quickly that way) when something moving in the sky caught his dragon-trained eyes. And there was a mammoth floating slowly down from the clouds like a gift from the Divines. It fell slowly enough from him to get to the edge of the high ground he was walking on to see the plain below. Thus, he saw the mammoth's impact, only it didn't have one. It just kept on falling right through the ground and out of sight :cool: .

I myself saw something strange today:

gallery_45917_727_90168.jpg

In a dungeon that shall remain nameless, I gradually accumulated an entourage of glowing balls. In this pic, only 2 are visible, but by the time I got to the end, I had about 20 of them following me around. They stayed about waist level or lower, flew right through me but bounced off walls, and knocked loose floor items around if they touched them. They all appeared out of coffins, catacomb niches, and other such places so I assume they were some type of ghost, but they wouldn't interact with me at all. I couldn't talk to them, I couldn't hit them with anything, nothing. They did, however, in general tend to swarm in an area from my immediate vicinity to a dozen paces out along the path through the dungeon, like they were trying to lead me to the end (mine or the dungeon's, I'll never know). Very interesting things. I've never seen the like.

In other news, the civil war is over(?) and the Stormcloaks won. I'm now known throughout the land as "Stormblade", Ulfric's #2 dude after Galmar Stone-Fist. Me and mine came through the war intact, although I killed about 100 running dog collaborators along the way in various battles. I didn't get into the war until I was over 30th level and I think that was a bit late because the battles were extremely easy. My main worry was not killing friendlies as I slashed around with my highly perked and smithed swords. For instance, in the final battle for Solitude, I laid out Ulfric and Galmar 2 or 3 times each because they were too close to me while I was carving my way through the Imperials. Luckily, being "essential" quest guys, I couldn't kill them :cool: .

If you want to see some pics of the action, check out the album here: http://combatace.com/gallery/album/728-stormcloaks/

But I think the end of the war is a bit bugged. Both Ulfric and Galmar have told me they no longer need my services and all the civil war quests are marked as completed. However, my journal says I haven't finished that questline yet. Also, both of the above NPCs told me to destroy an remaining Imperial camps I come across. I've tried to, but each one has an unkillable legate in it. He goes down on a knee but won't die and new Imperial soldiers keep spawning as long as he lives. So something's amiss here. My advice: stay away from Legion camps after the war is "over".

I am only on page 14 of this thread and I am thinking about getting this game to kill time before P4.

My first question: I read that the bad guys you meet will be at or near your level. In an open game like this, shouldn't the level of the bad guys be random? I mean, the toughest and worst should be deep in a dungeon that YOU go and seek out to kill shouldn't they? When I level up will I ever meet any "easy kills" in the woods or will they always all be a challange? I sometimes want an easy fight. Also....are there all the "classic" D&D creatures like Beholders and such?