Lothar of the Hill People

OFFbase: the Barmy Automated Squadron Experience for OFF

Did as you suggested and still having the same problem--even after deleting Office, running CCleaner and reinstalling Office. The program is not creating a backup.mep file. I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer. BTW, I am (still) running XP. Should that make a difference?

Do you have XP Service Pack 3 installed? Dude XP's over a decade old, you really need to upgrade to Win7. The memory-handling and process-scheduling improvements will make your modern machine so much faster to use.

Have another idea what's causing your problem, HPW. I'll PM you a link for a new version to try in a bit.

Yeppers, my machine is updated with all of the latest service packs.

And I do plan to upgrade to Win7, but I was waiting for WOFF to come out first.

HPW and Creaghorn

I have both the 'Front Guns Mod' and 'Rear Guns Mod' that you mentioned above. But I never saw where Creaghorn released his 'Bullets Mod'. I need a link...

Lothar

Once and for all we need to put this nagging question to bed...Do we activate additional 'Misc Static Mods' from the same JSGME Console installed in the game root directory (in my case, C:\OBDSoftware\) and can these 'MSM' be copied into the same MODS folder where OFFice Mods Manager activates it's own list of managed mods? HPW's Guns Mods are perfect examples of the kinds of 'MSM' I am talking about.

And, I think everyone realizes that the Path Structure of the Mod must point to the proper OFF directories where the mod files 'copy to' in the game as if you were doing a files 'copy to' manually from the MODS folder. There, that should be clear as mud!!!

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Lothar

Once and for all we need to put this nagging question to bed...Do we activate additional 'Misc Static Mods' from the same JSGME console installed in the root directory (in my case, C:\OBDSoftware\) and can these 'MSM' be copied into the same MODS folder where OFFice Mods Manager activates it's own list of managed mods? HPW's Guns Mods are perfect examples of the kinds of 'MSM' I am talking about.

Putting additional mods into the same MODS folder and activating them manually with JSGME is fine. OFFice will keep track whether mods it doesn't recognize have been activated, and keep them activated but move them to the top so officially recognized mods overwrite them. Should be pretty straight-forward in practice.

But perhaps unrecognized mods should be put at the bottom so they have priority (assuming they're newer than OFFice supports)? The goal is to give users control with JSGME of these other "Misc Static Mods" that customize gameplay to individual styles rather than the kind of context-sensitive campaign mods that need OFFice's logic. So if you wanted to replace all your gun sounds with childish "pew pew" noises regardless of the campaign, reactivating these MSM at the bottom would make that possible.

But there's also a speed issue. It makes sense to keep static mods at the top so they don't have to be turned on/off each time the context-sensitive mods change. It could be a serious problem for example with large texture mods that take much hard-drive crunching to activate/deactivate. It would suck to have to wait 5-10 minutes to launch missions in different campaign contexts.

So we need to make a decision: MSM above or below the mods OFFice supports? There's a trade-off either way.

I see your point - first or last - for maintaining an order scheme. A possible solution is what I am currently using to handle particular types of MSMs.

I have a second copy of JSGME running in a sub-directory below the Root Directory C:\OBDSoftware\ that I manage my library of Olham's and others excellent skins. I put a shortcut to launch this different JSGME Console in the Root Directory with a shortcut to it's particular matched MODS folder so I can quickly navigate to it. Thus, my couple are currently living to together harmoneously with no domestic quarrels. Of course, I have to observe the directory structure difference with this MODS folder in a different path location.

I have a third copy of JSGME running in the \Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders\ directory to manage the UIView.xml file for controlling different 'TAC size and colors' of the display screen and the Mine.xca file for different KeyBoard keystroke-controls maps.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

I just wanted to pop in here again and let everybody know that the trouble I was having getting mods to work along with Office were entirely my own fault, and not because of any problems or difficulty with Lothar's excellent and fun program. All I had to do was to upgrade to JSGME version 2.6.0 and my problems were solved. :clapping: For the life of me, I thought I was running the very latest version, but I guess I was wrong. The moral of the story is to never assume, because we all know what happens when we ASS U ME.

I also wanted to give a very hearty and enthusiastic thumbs up to Lothar and his Office and OffSet programs. :good: As stated by CaptSopwith, above, Office is not only a fun role-playing addition to OFF, it is also a wonderful mod manager. In addition to that, Lothar has incorporated a date-enabled mod manager into his program, so the user no longer has to keep track of what month and date it is so he or she can manually enable the correct mod that corresponds with that time period. Office now does that for you! In other words, if you want to use Bletchley's missions mod and you are in a quiet sector in 1917, you no longer have to laboriously pick the correct file for that period. Office will automatically load the correct file! No more mistakes! Lothar's program has loads of potential not only for OFF, but also WOFF when it comes out.

Bravo, Lothar! :bowdown2:

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

I see your point - first or last - for maintaining an order scheme. A possible solution is what I am currently using to handle particular types of MSMs.

I have a second copy of JSGME running in a sub-directory below the Root Directory C:\OBDSoftware\ that I manage my library of Olham's and others excellent skins. I put a shortcut to launch this different JSGME Console in the Root Directory with a shortcut to it's particular matched MODS folder so I can quickly navigate to it. Thus, my couple are currently living to together harmoneously with no domestic quarrels. Of course, I have to observe the directory structure difference with this MODS folder in a different path location.

I have a third copy of JSGME running in the \Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders\ directory to manage the UIView.xml file for controlling different 'TAC size and colors' of the display screen and the Mine.xca file for different KeyBoard keystroke-controls maps.

Guess this works so long as none of the mods in the different installations of JGSME touch the same files. For now I'm keeping unknown mods at the top of the OFFice JSGME where they can be overwritten, for speed.

Lothar's program has loads of potential not only for OFF, but also WOFF when it comes out.

Bravo, Lothar! :bowdown2:

Thanks for the update, HPW. Having WOFF track actual squadmate aerial results will only improve the synergy.

Version 0.6.7 of OFFbase has been uploaded and is awaiting approval from the mods. Fixes a few small bugs but the biggest upgrade is support for OlPaint01's Great Bundle Realism Mods version 1.5, which fixes some compatibility problems between 33Lima's FlakMods and Bletchley's AA mods. OlPaint01 did all the work there, but I threw in a few extra Traits for fun.

Best practice for updating the Great Bundle 1.4 to 1.5:

1. Run JSGME

2. Deactivate all mods

3. Close JSGME

4. Delete old Great Bundle 1.4 mods from your mods folder

5. Copy in the new Great Bundle 1.5 mods folders

6. Let OFFbase do the rest.

Note for modders: I've put all the mod-handling code in one file, config\JSGME.r which now includes mod-handling functions as well as rules. This obsoletes the old rules-only JSGME.config, so just go ahead and delete that from your OFFice install to avoid future confusion.

Lothar or OlPaint01,

Do you have my HPW News mod? Basically, it is the same as Creaghorn's News mod, except mine is in English instead of German, so is better used in an American or British campaign.

Do you have my HPW News mod? Basically, it is the same as Creaghorn's News mod, except mine is in English instead of German, so is better used in an American or British campaign.

I don't but post the link and I'll build in rules for it. For some reason Creaghorn's News mod is in OlPaint's Sounds bundle, maybe we need a new bundle for news mods and such or put them both in the realism mod?

And OFFbase 0.7.6 is available for download.

Lothar

Creaghorn's News Mod ended up in the Sounds Bundle because I found it embedded in his Homebrew Mod along with all his initial sounds modifications. If I had to do everything over, I would have packaged it instead with the Realism Bundle.

BTW, HPW makes a valid point. I completely overlooked his British News Mod. Sorry, HPW. And I know his News Mod even covers the entire War. You know, I have yet to find a News Mod for our French Allies. But, I am fairly certain someone has one just waiting to be published. There may be other appropriate alternative Mods already written that could be bundled. Now that we have OFFice Mod Manager, anything is doable to support any campaign's timeline.

For that matter, shouldn't we have an alternate French ShellMusic Mod to go with Creaghorn's British and German ShellMusic choices. Elephant has even put together a ShellMusic Mod for us.

I know of at least two other 'Miscellaneous Static Mods' (MSMs) that HPW wrote - the Front and Rear Gun Mods. What about Creaghorn's or Elephant's Tracer Mods. Or Tracer Smoke Mods. And Creaghorn's Bullet Mod. I think I have collected everyone of them as I expect you guys have as well.

What about RAF_Louvert's beautiful Medals Mod... Or his LePrieur Rockets Mod...

What about all the custom skins that Olham and others have painted for us...

I could go on and on about the outstanding work this community has invested. We just need to pull our efforts into a bundle and write the logical rules for activating them from inside Lothar's marvelous OFFbase Mod Manager.

Whoa, I am out of breath!!!

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

OlPaint is absolutely right. There are now maybe dozens of mods that have been done for OFF. At a minimum, I heartily endorse incorporating Elephant's tracer mods and Lou's medal mod into one of the mods bundles.

A skin pack would also be an interesting idea, but perhaps too much work at this time.

I could go on and on about the outstanding work this community has invested. We just need to pull our efforts into a bundle and write the logical rules for activating them from inside Lothar's marvelous OFFbase Mod Manager.

OFFice 0.7.7 is a good start, with rules built in capturing Bletchley's historical ammo loadouts thanks to help from OlPaint01.

It's actually really cool, as it ties right in to the Munitions Officer. Following the loadout rules is entirely optional--the loadout is preset according to the rules but you can increase (or decrease) how much ammo you actually take in the mission briefing. What's cool is the Munitions Officer knows if you disrespect his authority--and it could be worth keeping him on your good side. It also ties into the custom skin vs custom loadout switch in a rather fun way. Give it a try!

This is all possible with a dynamic scripting engine that ties together the OFFice system with JSGME mods, Pilot Dossiers, OFF Workshop settings, and CFS3Config settings, with rules being able to make decisions base upon or set any of these settings. OFF is a mod of CFS3. JSGME mods OFF. OFFice mods JSGME, OFF, and CFS3. OFFice now supports mods. It is the Inception of mods.

And the coolest part: tying all this together only took 125 lines of REBOL code.

It's just been approved by the admins, so go try it!

Hi Lothar :)

With OFFice 0.7.7 is the correct date mod from my missions pack selected automatically by OFFice, or do I have to activate/deactivate each one in turn? I am guessing that it is automatic, and I just copy each date-mod into the JSGME MODS folder (the 'Mods Available') and then let OFFice activate/deactivate them according to campaign date? I am guessing, also, that I will have to repackage them all first, so that they now follow the right path into the correct top level folder (CFSWWI Over Flanders Fields), as OFFice uses a MODS folder placed in the OBDSoftware folder (my mods currently use JSGME in the CFSWWI Over Flanders Fields directory, so will have to be repackeaged into the higher level CFSWWI Over Flanders Fields folder before they will work)?

Also, will OFFice 0.7.7 work, even if there are no mods in the MODS folder? At the setup stage, there seems to be no option for using OFFIce without any mods at all?

Bletchley

Hey Bletchley. Yep, OFFice automatically activates the correct mission mods for your campaign, so you never again have to worry about manually turning mods on and off in JSGME. OlPaint01 repackaged your mission mods for the correct file structure in his realism bundle, You may just want to download all the mod packs linked on the OFFbase download page as they're ready to go and it'll save you the work! Plus it puts together most of the community's best work.

And it should work just fine if there are no mods or if JSGME isn't installed--you just won't be able to activate them.

Also, how come I can't PM you? Was going to send you a link to preview 0.7.8 with a smarter mod manager! :salute:

Edited by Lothar of the Hill People

OK, thanks Lothar - just wanted to check that I was doing it right :)

Not sure why no one can ever initiate a PM conversation with me - I will send you a PM, and you will then be able to reply. Something odd with my account. Works OK if I initiate the conversation, just not the other way around.

Bletchley

I can't send you a PM either, I get an error message to say that you cannot receive any new messages :(

I have PM you through SimHQ :)

Edited by Bletchley

Bletchley, I am also blocked from sending a PM to you as well. I haven't tried to figure out sending messages via SimHQ PM system yet.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Using 'Reply' function from an earlier conversation seems to work OK - it seems I am prevented from initiating a conversation, and others are unable to initiate one with me. Very odd. PM works fine in SimHQ :)

B.

I learned an old French cavalry song while on leave just now. I figure at least half of us were in hussar regimennts before the war so here it is. It's a good song for us, the modern-day hussars :). I only speak a little of my local patois so my translation is rough at best. Perhaps somebody with more French can do a better job. Still, I think I got the gist of it:

DANS LES HUSSARDS

Le hussard au quartier The hussar is in quarters

Le hussard au quartier The hussar is in quarters

N'a pas besoin de marchepied He doesn't need to do parades

Pour engueuler son brigadier To make his brigadier weep

REFRAIN

Ah, la belle vie que l'on mène Ah, what a beautiful life we lead

Dan les hussards, dan les hussards! In the hussars, in the hussars!

Ah, la belle vie que l'on mène Ah, what a beautiful life we lead

Dan les hussards, dan les hussards! In the hussars, in the hussars!

Le hussard au manège The hussar is riding

Le hussard au manège The hussar is riding

Malgré la basane qui l'protège Despite the protective skin

Use plus vite son dos que son siège His saddle wears out quickly

REFRAIN

Le hussard à l'hosto The hussar's at the inn

Le hussard à l'hosto The hussar's at the inn

Respirant le parfum de gog'no He breathes the aroma of excessive merry-making

Croit vagu'ment sentir l'eau d'Botot To him it smells like the king's mouthwash

REFRAIN

Le hussard à la guerre The hussar goes to war

Le hussard à la guerre The hussar goes to war

Defend fièrement sa bannière He fiercely defends his banner

Sans jamais tourner le derrière Without ever turning back

REFRAIN

Le hussard au plumard The hussard wears his plumage

Le hussard au plumard The hussard wears his plumage

Rêve qu'il devient porte-étendard He dreams it befits the standard-bearer

Et s'réveil en t'nant son tranchard Then he wakes up with his tankard

REFRAIN

Le hussard en balade The hussar is on a joyride

Le hussard en balade The hussar is on a joyride

Des bell' filles reluqu' l'esplanade The pretty girls on the esplanade

Et sent son cœur en marmelade Put his heart in marmelade

REFRAIN

Le hussard en congé The hussar is on leave

Le hussard en congé The hussar is on leave

S'contente de bien boire et manger He's content to drink and eat well

Et ne demande qu'à rengager And asks only to come back (to the colors)

REFRAIN

Le hussard à la messe The hussar's in the mess

Le hussard à la messe The hussar's in the mess

S'assied derrière une comtesse He sits behind a countess

Pour s'assurer de sa noblesse To assure himself of her nobility

REFRAIN

Le hussard en amour The hussar is in love

Le hussard en amour The hussar is in love

Va de l'avant comme un tambour He goes forward as to the drum

Jamais on n'l'a vu reste court You've never seen such drive

REFRAIN

Le hussard au cercueil The hussar is in his coffin

Le hussard au cercueil The hussar is in his coffin

Méme après qu'il a tourné de l'œil Even after his eyes have rolled up

S'ecrie encore avec orgueil He still exclaims with pride (the refrain)

REFRAIN

Hilarious, Bullethead, thanks for sharing. OFFbase needs a drinking song mini-game or something.

Ran into this record at my local shop last weekend:

MON61419.jpg

From 1964, including classics such as Kaiser Wilhelm's Hitparade, Nos 1-4. Don't have time to type up and translate lyrics, but you can get a CD or download tracks from the Smithsonian.

Don't fall for this - it must be fake Soviet propaganda material to weaken their enemy!

Kaiser Wilhelm had no "Hitparade" - we didn't even have radio!!

And German blondes look far better!!!

I was only joking.

But as a guy born in West Germany, I have never heard of the label "Monitor".

Doesn't mean much though - it might be regional.

Edit: Ah, I found it. "Monitor" is a Czech label and belongs to EMI.

Not too German then, altogether...

Edited by Olham