Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys,

I like to play from the cockpit view and I can never tell when my bombs drop, it would be nice if there was a sound or something. Has something like this been addressed in a mod ?

Also, I am totally new to the game and haven't tried any mods, are there any 'essential' one I should be using ?

Thanks.

There really isn't a 'bomb drop' sound. In real aircraft you might feel a 'thunk' as the bombs come off, but usually you didn't hear anything.

FC

When you´re playing the game and you hit the Joystick button the clicking sound that button does is probably more then you hear in a jet. :grin:

I've dropped little 3kg practice bombs from a Harrier GR7 and Tornado GR4 which obviously made no sound as the get dropped but the 1000lb'ers I dropped in the Sim before I was allowed to drop the little ones for real all made a "Thunk" sound as they were dropped and the pilots said that sounds right (obviously no whistling wind noise in the cockpit though).

I wonder how easy it to make a bomb "make the whistling noise" from the outside view so if your viewing the target you hear the bomb whistle a second before the explosion???

I wonder how easy it to make a bomb "make the whistling noise" from the outside view so if your viewing the target you hear the bomb whistle a second before the explosion???

It would be real easy. Unfortunately, you'd never hear it in-game, as there's no presently no coding for it.

I was thinking more of a button click or electronic beep sound within the cockpit.

Again, no coding, no sound.

Perhaps you mean that whistling falling through the air noise?

Bombs, at least modern ones, do not "whistle". The whistling sound that Hollywood associates with dropping bombs, went out with the boxkite-tailed weapons of the Second World War. Witnesses who've been close enough to hear modern weapons dropped (and yet far enough away to have survived), reported that falling bombs made an aerodynamic "rustling" sound, not unlike that of an artillary shell.

Of course, "slick" weapons, such as the old iron bombs dropped by B-52s during the Vietnam war, may have acheived transonic or even supersonic velocities by the time they hit the ground...so one would have heard absolutely nothing, as whatever aerodynamic sounds trailed the falling weapon, would have been overwhelmed by the initial shockwave and reverberations caused by its detonation!

Speaking of Hollywood bomb effects, I always smile when I hear a "down doppler" sound whenever they depict a bomb hitting the ground nearby....I guess most of the Foley artists slept through basic physics in high school :grin: One would of course, hear an up doppler as the weapon approached....again, if they'd hear anything at all.

Speaking of Hollywood bomb effects, I always smile when I hear a "down doppler" sound whenever they depict a bomb hitting the ground nearby....I guess most of the Foley artists slept through basic physics in high school :grin: One would of course, hear an up doppler as the weapon approached....again, if they'd hear anything at all.

I guess if the bomb was dropping at a shallow angle, passed over your head and hit the ground further away this might be possible. However, this is a pretty long bow to draw...

Once again, it still doesn't address the surivival issue.

Dels

It would be real easy. Unfortunately, you'd never hear it in-game, as there's no presently no coding for it.

Bugger, I was hoping to attached a Jet noise to the RAF Storm Shadow for the duration of it's flight. It works for the 1sec as it drops (as a booster effect) but nothing for either Sustainer or InFlight effect as it flys away from the pilots "ears". It's a shame that the GroundObjects sound can't be used (they make noise in External Target view) which would have been great, ah well :sad: