Sign in to follow this  
CWMV

Spinning Clouds?

I cant believe I didnt notice it before but is it normal for te clouds to spin when you look around? Fix?

Currently using a full 4 install with both expansion packs, Nov '11 update.

Pretty normal with 2D clouds - happens in some other sims also - fix? maybe 3D clouds

• Like 1

I thought the same thing, but they spin even after the install of some of the big packs like Nato Fighters 4+ and the Vietnam pack. I thought they included 3d clouds but I may be mistaken there.

AFAIK SF2 engine doesn't support volumetric clouds (yet).

• Like 1

Ah I see. No worries then.

Thanks much.

i only see about a 2-10 degree of rotation as i look around, as they go from the center to the side of my Field of View.

• Dislike 1

Clouds in this series will spin 45 degrees or so, because they are essentially 2D "billboards", with emissive fog (to give one the impression of volume). This allows for simpler programming, and reportedly, higher frame rates.

I'd like to see how the new water shaders handle them, specifically their reflections.

Clouds in this series will spin 45 degrees or so, because they are essentially 2D "billboards", with emissive fog (to give one the impression of volume). This allows for simpler programming, and reportedly, higher frame rates.

I'd like to see how the new water shaders handle them, specifically their reflections.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401287_10151084748825203_187224385202_21940694_618638955_n.jpg

• Dislike 2

I said clouds.....the horizon has nothing to do with clouds.

The sky in this series can be likened to an inverted bowl. The lower segments of that bowl comprises what we would consider the horizon. Meaning that you can paint anything you want on it...clouds, Klingons, flying elephants (etc).

The water needs to reflect the sky for realism's sake, to match (reflect) the sky's color as it changes over a period of time.

What I was concerned with is whether or not clouds will be rendered as reflections. If they don't, it's because they would otherwise appear without any depth, somewhat like buildings on an old Western movie set.

Edited by Fubar512

oops, my mistake.....

I bet those will be in the next round of screenshots w/ Dave's Pony.

Edited by SkateZilla