Siggi

Grandad's RFC tech manual.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this a good few months ago and promised some pics. Soon as I got it I put it in a briefcase and forgot about it though.

It's very weird to hold this and know that it was once just a few miles down the line in time and space from where Richthofen was killed. My grandfather viewed the wreck a few days after it had been torn to pieces by souvenir hunters.

rfcbook02.jpg

rfcbook01.jpg

Siggi, you are so lucky to have such an item. I have an original of that same volume, but you Sir are connected, because your hands hold a book held by the hands of a man you not only know but who stood at the site of MvR's last moments on this old rock. An honest, physical connection to another time and another place in history. Take care of it Sir.

I've vaguely coinsidered text-scanning it (OCR) so the data can never be lost no matter how many copies vanish. But I believe they're actually rather common?

What year is your copy Louvert? Mine is 1916 and has the Shorthorn to DH2 in it.

Edited by Siggi

Siggi, mine is the exact same edition as yours. It is complete and quite sound given it's age, but it does show all the signs of having been in use at the time. It has the original owner's signature on the inside front cover, written with a fountain pen in a wonderful old script: 'F.E. Rayner'. I need to put some more effort into finding out if he is on the rolls somewhere.

... your hands hold a book held by the hands of a man you not only know but who stood at the site of MvR's last moments

on this old rock. An honest, physical connection to another time and another place in history. Take care of it Sir.

I can only ditto that! What a connection!

It also has five pages of mimeographed foolscap with engine addendums for the Monosoupape and 70 HP Renault (RFC School of Instruction Reading).

Now the question is, if you read it cover-to-cover, can you make OFF's bloody DH2 perform for you?

But you will know how to square up and trim the little beastie.

.But you will know how to square up and trim the little beastie.

Ah well, that part's easy. Just use a soft wooden mallet and tap the '1's' and '0's' closer to each other and re-start OFF.

Tap gently though as those 0's can distort quiet easily. You might need a HEX wrench too, but don't get ANCI if it takes a while to get everything just so. :grin:

What a find Congrats. Out here there is just the sidewinders going by and the old book study Hall.

But you will know how to square up and trim the little beastie.

I've often wondered, when I come up big on the Lottery and acquire my replica SE5a and replica Sopwith Tripe, where I shall find a rigger and ftter these days. Does one advertise, I wonder, and in what publication if so?

Dej, you'll want to call +64 49093100, ask for Gene or Mika. One of them will know exactly who to point you to. Or just stop by Kilbirne, Wellington, New Zealand and ask them in person. :grin:

Dej, you'll want to call +64 49093100, ask for Gene or Mika. One of them will know exactly who to point you to. Or just stop by Kilbirne, Wellington, New Zealand and ask them in person. :grin:

Well thank you Lou, I shall make a note :grin: Actually the better half has many relatives in NZ and the weather is more consistent so I may well commission said replicas with The Vintage Aviator. In which case (big lottery win assumed) you and yours shall be my first class guests for the inaugural flights. :good:

I've often wondered, when I come up big on the Lottery and acquire my replica SE5a and replica Sopwith Tripe, where I shall find a rigger and ftter these days. Does one advertise, I wonder, and in what publication if so?

If I came up big on the Lotto I would buy all the replica s in New Zealand and re name the them The OFF Air Corps. Or the P-4 Attack Sgn ?