RAF_Louvert

A Graphics Card Upgrade In Anticipation of OFF 2

Update on my upgrade. The new GTX 460 SC arrived Friday and I installed it right away yesterday morning and spent the remainder of the day tweaking and benchmarking. I am very pleased to report that it is a winner! It runs flawlessly with silky smooth TrackIR, with sliders at 5-4-3-5-5 and Object Ground Density on 'high'. Even in the Alsace in a massive furball above the mud, a solid, smooth 50 to 60 FPS.

It is B-E-A-U-tiful!

:smile:

Wow, that sounds like a winner indeed, Lou! Congratulations! Enjoy the new flying!

I'm currently saving money for a rig that should be able to run all the sims I play with maximum settings. I'm tired of having to reduce graphics quality because my Neolithic PC can't handle maximum settings.

Now if only money grew on trees...

Hasse Wind, some of the graphic reductions I had to make were no terrible losses.

I ran "Scenery detail" and "Terrain Detail" on "3", and it looked great.

Right now, I have "Terrain Detail" on "4", but then it looks almost too grainy for my taste;

so "3" is really good.

I recommend my "Graphics setup" advice in the "Stickies", if you haven't already looked there.

What I envy Lou for, is higher "ground object density" - I have to run that on "medium".

Edited by Olham

What I envy Lou for, is higher "ground object density" - I have to run that on "medium".

Not to make you even more envious Olham, but rather to give you a better idea of what things look like with the settings I described above, here is a screenshot I just snapped as I was climbing away from Walmer Aerodrome along the southern coast of England. Even the typical April weather in Blighty can't diminsh the "new" view I now enjoy.

OFF_Wilkins_SE5_56RFC_001.jpg

I only wish all my fellow OFF fliers could enjoy the lush scenery I am now privy to.

I can, Lou, I can! At least with my Marne region pilots it still works - tried it - no jaggies!!!

I'll send pics soon.

I guess, in Alsace-Lorraine though, my card would go down on it's knees.

But hey, I will soon receive a much better graphic card from a fellow OFFer - then it should be possible for me too.

Sweet! Glad to learn you're enjoying the scenery as well Olham. And what card will you be receiving soon?

I will also post a screenshot or two from the Alsace when I pop over there in the A.M.

... what card will you be receiving soon?

I'm not good with remembering numbers, and it's some time ago, but I think it's the ATI 5970.

I will also post a screenshot or two from the Alsace when I pop over there in the A.M.

Yes, please - I'd like to see how that looks with all ground objects!

Lou, I'd be interested to know what's your nvidia control or inspector settings at?

A few things I noticed last night while testing some graphics settings in the game:

1. I do notice the planes fly a bit "faster" when my FPS stays at 60.

2. In the nvidia control panel settings, I get better frame rates (~5 FPS) when I use 8xCSAA than with 4xAA.

3. I'm not sure what "Ground Density" setting does, but there is a visible difference between high and low.

4. Adjusting the Scenery and Terrain Detail sliders from 3 to 4 or visa versa, doesn't seem to make a difference when object density is set to high. When the Scenery and Terrain sliders are set to 5, the external view is very "rich" - very hard to describe - but my FPS dumps to ~27.

5. Other than AA in the nvidia control panel the other settings don't seem to affect the FPS or scenery (except vsyn on with tripple buffering).

Buddy.

Buddy, here are the Nvidia settings I have been running since my benchmarking session last weekend:

Nvidia_CP_Settings_2-19-2012.jpg

Hope this info is helpful for you.