Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

Air offensive and Ground Offensive

I am in the middle of a little snag here. For the next campaign, the realistic strategy dictates that Sweden has the iniative in the air while Soviet Ground Forces advance. However, in order to trigger either, I need to have the Iniative on the offensive side.

Is there a good way in order to make an Air Offensive work, while the enemy advance on the ground? I been trying different solutions for weeks, and I gotten close but not in the way I want.

Help me, CombatAce. You are my only hope :drinks:

Hi Jonathan,

I wish I could help, but I think you are really pushing the envelope with this one :cool:

All I can suggest is tweaking the individual air unit supply levels, to ensure those units you wish to go on the offensive have their supply maxed out.

But, you have probably tried that already.

From what I remember, and it may have changed in SF2 through the various patches, is that offensive and defensive phases were triggered at a Force level, i.e. covering both air and ground units, and that usually a certain number of air offensive missions were required before the ground units wouldgo on the offensive. But, that last variable could be tweaked in the campaign_data.ini for each force.

Good luck :good:

+1 for what Baltika said. Unfortunately it's a limitation of TK's engine.

I wish I could help, but I think you are really pushing the envelope with this one :cool:

Seems like I do that alot nowadays. You should have seen my iniatial outline for Mannerheims ^^

I dont suppose there is a good way to make the iniative shift mid-campaign?

Seems like I do that alot nowadays. You should have seen my iniatial outline for Mannerheims ^^

I dont suppose there is a good way to make the iniative shift mid-campaign?

If you play around with supply level and mission rates, you might be able to get one force to run out of supplies and the other to go on the initiative at approximately the right time, but depending on how precise and consistent you want the switch to be, it might not be doable.

The other thing you could do, if it's just one major switch you're looking for, would be to split it into campaigns - campaignX part I: The Offensive, campaignX part II: The Retreat. Or something like that. You can fill the gap in the story with the campaign_end.txt files and then point players to the next campaign.

Just a thought.

If you play around with supply level and mission rates, you might be able to get one force to run out of supplies and the other to go on the initiative at approximately the right time, but depending on how precise and consistent you want the switch to be, it might not be doable.

That is pretty much what I spent two months doing. Did not work out. Way, way too random and you never got the feel that it was a large war you where figthing.

The other thing you could do, if it's just one major switch you're looking for, would be to split it into campaigns - campaignX part I: The Offensive, campaignX part II: The Retreat. Or something like that. You can fill the gap in the story with the campaign_end.txt files and then point players to the next campaign.

The idea struck me today after Baltika told me it was probably not possible. I have yet to decide if I do it or not, but the idea would probably feel disconnected. Also, the second part on the campaign - based on the E1 strategy - is that if E1 succeds, the army is out of the fight alltogether. So I will probably have to invent smart soviets who think ahead and do not wish to subject themselfs to E1 in the first place.

Try to set the supply level of each soviet air unit below the level of SupplyForOffensive= :drinks: