Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Flying Fury" out of print?

Today I searched for Mccudden's book "Flying Fury", only to find rather expensive copies,

or - the few cheaper ones - in rather bad condition.

Is the book long out of print? And of so - why is it?

When we can get the book by Julius Buckler in translation by Norman Franks - how can McCudden's book be out of print?

Market saturized?

I lost my eBay copy a while back, much to my regret and as you say, only very expensive ones seem available at the moment. Luckily I have been able to pick up cheap copies of Winged Warfare (1918 edition!) and Saggitarius Rising in a local 2nd hand bookshop and will be looking out for a replacement Flying fury too :(

Yes Olham, McCudden's book has been out of print for quite some time now. Depending on how cheap "cheap" is to you, there are quite a few different editions always being offered on AbeBooks:

AbeBooks, McCudden's Flying Fury

Enjoy.

LIMA, good on you for scoring those two classics, and one in a 1st to boot.

Olham & 33Lima,

As RAFL says Flying Fury is available via abebooks, in fact if you are able to access the link below to the uk abebooks site you may find cheaper versions (postage wise) than the USA site:

I have copied the link after searching for Flying fury.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=james+mccudden&bt.x=0&bt.y=0&tn=flying+fury

Thank you, guys - I know AbeBooks and had made a search there (also at EBAY and AMAZON).

I get the same books btw. in abebooks UK - but in abebooks.de the prices are already converted to Euro.

But to pay 18 Euro for a paperback in fair condition is not what I wanted.

I will keep searching on. Sometimes you just need a long breath to find the right things.

It is interesting how the prices of WWI aviation books, in particular the contemporary volumes, have climbed over the last 20 years or so. Even with the current economic state of affairs they still maintain their high prices. When I began my collection I could often find hard cover 1st editions in very nice shape for $5 US. Not so any more, I'm afraid.

Flying Fury out of print? That's a shame. Fortunately I got my copy years ago. It's actually one of the very few WW1 aviation books that have been translated into Finnish.

Indeed, Lou, and it's okay for me - shows a growing interest, and maybe respect.

If only the flyers themselves had something of the rising prices; or their families.

Neither "No parachute!" nor "Flying Fury" seem to have been translated into German, Hasse Wind.

Only Cecil Lewis book was.

I wonder if I should offer the translation to some editors.

But I guess the market might not be big enough.

Quite true Olham, and a growing interest in the topic is a good thing, IMHO. Now then, to doing a German translation of those books, you might have more of a market for them than you think. And you could always do it yourself and offer them in e-library format for a reasonable price. Desktop publishing is all the rage these days you know.

So Hasse Wind, the title of your edition of McCudden's classic would be, "Viisi vuotta kuninkaallisissa lentojoukoissa". Kyllä?

(oh the joys of online translators) :grin:

Thank you, guys - I know AbeBooks and had made a search there (also at EBAY and AMAZON).

I get the same books btw. in abebooks UK - but in abebooks.de the prices are already converted to Euro.

I will keep searching on. Sometimes you just need a long breath to find the right things.

I don't know if this is a common practice in Europe , but I got my copy from the Public Library System. They sell off the copies in the system ( most in decent to used condition) more often then not attached to or in the Library itself. Hope this helps. :salute:

...you might have more of a market for them than you think. And you could always do it yourself and offer them

in e-library format for a reasonable price. Desktop publishing is all the rage these days you know.

No, that wouldn't be legal, Lou. I needed the agreement of the holder of the copyrights - also for translations.

Cause the content is not my own - it is McCudden's - or his legal followers in copyrights.

Even as a translation from the original? Makes sense for current works, but I didn't think it would apply to books that are, or used to be, in the public domain. But what do I know from international copyright law? :dntknw:

Quite true Olham, and a growing interest in the topic is a good thing, IMHO. Now then, to doing a German translation of those books, you might have more of a market for them than you think. And you could always do it yourself and offer them in e-library format for a reasonable price. Desktop publishing is all the rage these days you know.

So Hasse Wind, the title of your edition of McCudden's classic would be, "Viisi vuotta kuninkaallisissa lentojoukoissa". Kyllä?

(oh the joys of online translators) :grin:

The online translator got that one right. A rare event! :grin:

Sagittarius Rising has also been translated into Finnish. However, the name of the book in Finnish is Hävittäjälentäjä, which simply means "fighter pilot".

I'm always browsing second-hand bookshops, military or otherwise, wild horses can't drag me past one! PM me your limit on paperback and hardback Olham and if I find a copy I'll pick you one up.

Alternatively, The Book Depository appear to have a PDF version for £9.00 if you just want to read it... although on that score your local lending library would get you an international loan copy for less. Don't forget your local library, as I've remarked before. My local librarians have even stopped commenting on my requests these days, I just get a raised eyebrow occasionally... some Italian titles are rather wordy!

Thanks, Dej. I want a real printed one, and I want to own it.

I'll keep searching. And I'll send you a PM.

Hi Folks;

Now that Historical Books are being discussed, specifically "Flying Fury", I was wondering if anyone has seen the hardcopy of "William Barker VC" by "John Wiley & Sons Canada, Ltd". The Author is Wayne Ralph. It is generally available in the "Chapters" book stores in Canada. It lists for $34.99 Canadian / $28.95 US 18.99 pounds UK.

I'm curious to know if it is available in other countries.

Regards to all

Not available in German, but I found it in AMAZON:

http://www.amazon.de...&sr=1-1-catcorr

Thanks for your reply Olham. The conversion from $34.99 canadian to Euro is as of today 26.67 so the price on Amazon is in the ballpark.

Today I just picked up "The Black Flight" The memoir of Raymond Collishaw, published by CEF Books (2008) in Soft cover which currently sells for $26.94 Canadian.

There is a militaria / Used and new book store near me called "The Grenadier" which is a fantastic resource for old and rare militaria books. The web site is www.grenadiermilitaria.com.

You might enjoy checking it out.

... so the price on Amazon is in the ballpark.

Does this mean, it is within an acceptable range?

Hi Oltham;

In answer to your question it means that the exchange rates are comparable and that the cost of the book is about the same in both countries. These are regular prices, not discounts. I hope I am explaining this clearly for you.

Best Regards;

Alright, thanks, rjw!