Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Planes That Look Alike

With "F-86" I actually meant the F-86D/K/L, as they're more looking alike, due to the "dogsnoot"-nose.

F-86D/K/L: all-weather interceptor, high altitude, afterburner, intercept-radar

G.91R: light attack aircraft / light recce aircraft / light trainer, low and medium altitudes, no afterburner, no radar

While we're at it:

Gippsland GA-8 and GA-10:

ga8_coffey.jpg

Quest Kodiak:

imageJ3V.JPG

Cessna 208 and 208B:

11270_1252431724.jpg

Edited by Toryu

I know you're insinuating the Tu-160 is a copy of the B-1B, but what's funny about that is that the TU-160 from a design perspective is in no way related to B-1B. Simply looking at similar planform and saying "that's a copy of that" is silly. The designs look similar because they're made with the same basic requirements in mind. There's only so many ways of designing an effective variable inlet engine nacelle, or VG wing. Interestingly, apart from general layout, in almost every other aspect, they are different from one another.

The actual "daddy" of Tu-160 is Myasischev M-18, which looks much more like the final 160 than NAA's winning 1970 B-1 design:

M-18_01.jpg

M-18_02.jpg

M-18_05.jpg

And I don't see how the SU-24 looks anything like the F-111 except both are VG aircraft and have side by side cockpits. Especially since Su was originally designed as a fixed-wing aircraft. Again, in almost every aspect apart from general planform, they are different from each other. Might as well say the TSR-2 looked just like the RA-5C.

How about some planes that really do look like one another?

Lockheed Tristar:

l1011dll.jpg

Douglas DC-10:

Aircraft.dc-10.750pix.jpg

Boeing 727:

boeing_727-100_sun_air_ra.JPG

Tupolev 154:

tupolev-154.jpg

Ilyushin Il-62:

1051274258_RA-86531_Ilyushin-Il-62_VIM-Airlines.jpg

Vickers VC-10:

vc10_mickbajcar.jpg

I was going to post the Concorde and Tu-144 too until I realised they don't really look the same at all, except for both being supersonic deltas :(

Yeah I know this is a late reply :biggrin:

I wasn't insinuating anything, I was just making a comment about how similar the Lancer and Blackjack look. Just wanted to make this clear.

I simply deleted my old post because I thought you were attacking my comment and I didn't have the desire to argue with you about it. I never said either plane was copied.

The Su-24 and F-111 also look alike but they still have a few more differences than the B-1 and TU-160 in terms of layout. The MiG-25 and F-15 also have a few more visible differences despite being very similar in configuration. This is why I think the Lancer and Blackjack are the most similar in terms of basic design.

Edited by warthog64

How about some planes that really do look like one another?

Lockheed Tristar:

l1011dll.jpg

Douglas DC-10:

Aircraft.dc-10.750pix.jpg

Boeing 727:

boeing_727-100_sun_air_ra.JPG

Tupolev 154:

tupolev-154.jpg

one 3 engined passenger jet is still missing: The Hawker Trident from mid 60th

post-3395-0-64508800-1355004564_thumb.jpg