Herr Prop-Wasche

HPW FM 2.0 is now available!

I finally did it!

As a dozen or so of people have already discovered, I have finally completed FM 2.0 and it is now available in the download forum here at CA. Grab the file here: http://combatace.com...nal-planes-mod/

Please see the readme for a full description of the mod and the planes that are included. In the interests of time, I did not mod every aeroplane in OFF, but I think I got most of the critical ones. I would like to thank everyone for their patience in waiting for the mod--it was a lot of work, but well worth it, I think.

Although there are hundreds of tweaks and changes in the mod, I would particularly like to encourage those who like to fly the Pfalz DIIIa, the N28, the Fokker EV, the Fokker EIII, and the Roland to give these planes a try using my FM. They should be somewhat easier to fly now and somewhat less likely to spin in a turn.

Of course, any feedback that will help me to improve the mod in the future is highly encouraged. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the mod!

Peace.

HPW

OK, I took my Pfalz for a free flight mission, and instantly noticed how the awful stalling behaviour wasn't there anymore! Now the Pfalz feels like a true fighter plane! This alone makes me recommend the mod. Good job, HPW! :drinks:

I do have a question about the ace skin issue in campaign mode: when I activate one of your FM mods, should I do the restart thing separately for each of my pilots, or is it enough to do it only once for one of them, and then the skins will work for everybody? Must the process be repeated each time I activate one of the FM mods, for example when getting a new SPAD model? (Okay, that was actually two questions!)

Pfalz.jpg

Just one short question to make sure: you have now REALLY finished all that work on the various FMs, HPW?

Cause, I liked what you had done for some planes in the past, and if you are really ready with improvements,

I will joyfully download the whole package. I guess there is an instruction with it?

There are good instructions, I'm just asking for some additional clarifications.

Recognize the skin, Olham? :grin:

@Hasse Wind

Elephant has suggested that we start a new campaign then activate the FM.

"1. Start a new Campaign.

2. Exit the first mission without actually flying it.

3. Exit game and Enable the mod.

4. Restart the Campaign and Replay the last mission."

Panama_Red has suggested another way...

"Basically, in order to use this mod and also to see all of the ace skins available in the game, first activate the FM mod and start the game. Begin your campaign as usual, but instead of flying your mission, click on end mission as soon as you find yourself on the field. Exit completely out of the game and then restart your campaign. Then, on the campaign screen, click "Replay Mission." This will take you back to the beginning of your mission but with the advantage of allowing you to see all of the fantastic skins which have been lovingly created by members of the OBD team and by many others for use with this wonderful simulation of WWI aerial combat."

So I guess that we need to pin down a correct process with some experimentation. I personally have not been able to determine a guaranteed way to "have my cake and eat it too." I have tryed both ways but still cannot for certain decide which method works all the time.

But of course HPW has gotten the word that "OBD has already assured us that this problem has been eliminated in the next version of Over Flanders Fields WOOF. Huzzah!"

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Ah, yes, Hasse Wind - I remember it, but can make you a better one now.

As for the stalling behaviour: the Pfalz D.IIIa did show a stall in tight turns, at least at low alt.

(Or there they were dangerous).

If it was completely eliminated, that would be wrong.

Oh, it will still stall, just not so suddenly and strangely as the vanilla version. I stalled my "canary bird" twice at low speed when I tested the new FM mod a while ago.

OlPaint: OK, I'll keep an eye on the skins. Hopefully they'll work as they should. :salute:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Olham, my friend, I can assure you that the stalling behavior has not been completely eliminated! In addition, the Pfalz still has a strong tendency to side-slip in a turn, so if you are not careful you will side-slip yourself into the ground.

This is also likely to be my last FM update absent any major bugs, so please feel free to download the whole thing. I will be releasing a compatible AI empty weight mod, but you don't need that to enjoy the FM mod.

Be sure to try the Albatross DII and DIII for comparison! The only drawback is that the DII may be a little overmatched now against the DH-2, but that is more because the DH-2 is a litle too good, IMO, in the stock game. I would have liked to have worked on toning the DH-2 down, but I wanted to get this mod released before WOFF comes out.

Olham, my friend ...

Be sure to try the Albatross DII and DIII for comparison! The only drawback is that the DII may be a little overmatched now against the DH-2,

but that is more because the DH-2 is a litle too good, IMO, in the stock game. I would have liked to have worked on toning the DH-2 down,

but I wanted to get this mod released before WOFF comes out.

Okay, okay - I will definitely download it, HPW. Your previous work was very good IMHO.

I don't mind if you slightly downgraded the D.II - it might have been too good before.

@Hasse Wind

Elephant has suggested that we start a new campaign then activate the FM.

"1. Start a new Campaign.

2. Exit the first mission without actually flying it.

3. Exit game and Enable the mod.

4. Restart the Campaign and Replay the last mission."

PanamaRed has suggested another way...

"Basically, in order to use this mod and also to see all of the ace skins available in the game, first activate the FM mod and start the game. Begin your campaign as usual, but instead of flying your mission, click on end mission as soon as you find yourself on the field. Exit completely out of the game and then restart your campaign. Then, on the campaign screen, click "Replay Mission." This will take you back to the beginning of your mission but with the advantage of allowing you to see all of the fantastic skins which have been lovingly created by members of the OBD team and by many others for use with this wonderful simulation of WWI aerial combat."

So I guess that we need to pin down a correct process with some experimentation. I personally have not been able to determine a guaranteed way to "have my cake and eat it too." I have tryed both ways but still cannot for certain decide which method works all the time.

But of course HPW has gotten the word that "OBD has already assured us that this problem has been eliminated in the next version of Over Flanders Fields WOOF. Huzzah!"

OlPaint01

I could use a little help to better understand things here... Do we have to follow this procedure with every campaign mission we fly? Or is this just an initial setup phase? I like the idea of adding some Mods to OFF - I've used them in the past... but I didn't like the trade off of losing all of the skins that were in the game. If this is a one time thing, IE: Install the mods you want, work through the above steps, and then you're good to go - I'd be willing to give it another try.

Good questions, Capt., that I don't yet have the answers. I'll have a look tonight and report back...

Oops, I discovered an error in the FM mod that makes the N16 100 lbs. heavier than it should be--as if it doesn't have enough problems!

Here is the fix: HPW N16 FM 2.0 Fix.7z Simply put the "HPW N16 FM 2.0 Fix" folder in your mods folder and enable over the main FM Mod and ignore the warning messages.

Great catch HPW. Thanks for the adjustments. The last time I tryed to fly N16 with the default FM, I discovered it was so tail heavy that I couldn't...even with the elevator trim maxed out and the stick all the way forward.

OlPaint

That's weird, Doyle. In my OFF setup, the N16 is very nose heavy. In fact, I made it a little less nose heavy in my FM.

Will you release an updated FM pack with the N.16 fix included, HPW? I'm sure there are people who will otherwise miss the fix posted in this thread.

I think Hasse is right.

BTW, I'm using the new FM in my new RNAS 8 Campaign without any of the preparations for aces skins to show up,

as I thought there were no RNAS 8 aces skins for the N17, but I was wrong!

"Flying along side Edward Duncan Crundall"

post-10763-0-55882200-1338019438.jpg

I have to further investigate this... :dntknw:

Anyway, waiting for the AI Weight compatible with the new FM Mod.

:drinks:

Edited by elephant

Installing mods is more of a type of magic than science, it seems. Sometimes things work without problems, sometimes they don't! :cool:

Wonderful news HPW...you're a bloody star!...I love the pfalz...but, it's such a BITCH to stay alive in....perhaps now, I will live a little longer!

Many thanks :drinks:

The Pfalz is a proper fighter now with the mod, give it a try! I hope the bizarre stalling behaviour will be fixed in WOFF without any mods. :salute:

@HPW

You are right, as always...My recollection was in fact reversed - the Nieuport 16 was so nose heavy that I decided not to fly it anymore. Now N16 is managable with FM 2.0 Fix.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Wasn't the N.16 somewhat of a failure in real life too? The engine was too heavy for the N.11 airframe.

Thank you for all of the valuable feedback. I truly appreciate all of your comments.

I will most likely post a revised FM 2.1 to incorporate the N16 fix, after I have completed an EW mod to go along with the FM. I have made a lot of progress on the AI EW mod, so that should be ready within a few days. The FM 2.1 mod will also include a fix for the Dr1 which currently prevents it from loading.

In the meantime, here is a zip file containing the Dr1 fix. As before, copy the folder into your Mods folder and enable it on top of the main FM 2.0 mod, ignoring any warning messages along the way. I hope everyone enjoys flying the "new" Dr1 just as much as they like the new Pfalz, EIII, and N16.

HPW Dr1 FM 2.0 Fix.7z

Thanks, any news about the new AI Weight Mod, compatible with the latest FM?