If you are going to make a 1958- 59 campaign all Luftwaffe units should be natural metal. According to my sources the camo paint began to appear around 1961..

Yes, since NF4+ RED THUNDER 1962 already has the camo CL-13Bs (for example) it would be nice to have an earlier campaign with the metal paintschemes.

I've decided against including the allied veterans to a: keep things simple and b: keep things historic, so I'm going to include only actual operational units and serving aces. I think 1960 is a good setting. According to Modern Luftwaffe Unit History No. 04 (AirDoc):

"In 1960, twelve flying units were operational, JaboG 34 (Norvenich), JaboG 32 (Lechfeld), JaboG 33 (Buchel), JaboG34 (Memmingen), JaboG 35 (Husum), JG 71 (Ahlhorn), JG 72 (Leck), JG 73 (Oldenburg/Ahlhorn), AG 51 (Manching), AG 52 (Eggebek), LTG 61 (Neubiberg), LTG 62 (Wahn) and a SAM unit."

Gary Power's U-2 was shot down May 1 1960, and in Real LifeTM the Paris Summit to settle the Berlin question was cancelled in the fallout. In my version of RED TIDE 2, in May 1960 the cold war goes hot!

So, a few more pieces of the puzzle have come together...

Edited by KiwiBiggles

I've started editing the NF4+ campaigne4.ini (Red Tide) into Red Tide 2, and the original author(s) has set the StartDates for the units over 11/17/1956 to 11/20/1956. Why not all start on the same day, has it been deliberately done for campaign balance or is there another reason?

My campaign starts 05/16/1960, the day Nikita Khrushchev stormed out of Paris (and Soviet armor started rolling over the frontier) - should I vary the start dates for my air units too, like the original campaign???

I think all national units located at their home bases should all have the same start date. Plus known foreign units which was permanent stationed in continental Europe ( RAF, USAFE, RCAF and Soviet units). Then you can give reinforcement units a later start.

I think the red side need more units to give it more challenge. In NF4+ tons of NATO units have been added, but the red side is more or less from the stock campaign.

I think all national units located at their home bases should all have the same start date. Plus known foreign units which was permanent stationed in continental Europe ( RAF, USAFE, RCAF and Soviet units). Then you can give reinforcement units a later start.

I think the red side need more units to give it more challenge. In NF4+ tons of NATO units have been added, but the red side is more or less from the stock campaign.

I´m not sure but I think some French units were stationed in Germany too....

I'd been thinking about this a bit too. I'm still playing thru the F-100C NF4+ Red Tide (1956) campaign - I like it a lot! - and I was wondering how adding Blue AirUnits would affect the campaign 'balance'. I could add some interesting Red AirUnits to balance things up - although Red info is much harder to come by(?) - but that might still unbalance the campaign as AirUnits would really start to out-number GroundUnits(?). Maybe It would be better to remove existing AirUnits as I add in new ones - maybe a few from each service, the USAF is already very well represented for example? Or would adding some new ground units be a better idea - maybe to represent reinforcements coming in with a later start date like hgbn suggestes for AirUnits? Should I make the campaign duration longer to fit the increase in the size of the forces?

I'm thinking that I shouldn't change the overall 'size' of the campaign too much, because regardless the player has only one unit to fly with. I'm not sure yet how the player's losses are reinforced. My F-100C squadron is down to eight or nine active pilots at the moment and although the campaign is going well, my squadron isn't going to last forever?

I think you should ask Paulopanz about some red units. He might have something useful

but that might still unbalance the campaign as AirUnits would really start to out-number GroundUnits(?)

This is absolutly not an issue at all. I run TSF with as few as three attacking regiments at the same time. I simply make them more plentiful.

I could add some interesting Red AirUnits to balance things up - although Red info is much harder to come by(?

Depending on the year in question:

Su 9/11 "Fishpot" - Early Missile Interceptor

MiG 9

Yak 9U "Frank" - Late 40s Prop, used by WP Nations until 55 at least, prob held in storage. Soviets liked holding stuff in storage...

Yak 25 Flashlight - Interceptor

Tu 4 Bull - Heavy Bomber, B-29 Clone

Amongst others.

Blue AirUnits would affect the campaign 'balance'. I could add some interesting Red AirUnits to balance things up

My personal ratio is 3 Reds for every 2 Blue.

Should I make the campaign duration longer to fit the increase in the size of the forces?

Just remember that time and dates also needs to be timed with the number of missions available. To adjust this, Maxmission command and mission ratio commands needs some experimenting with.

Edited by JonathanRL