Sign in to follow this  
Dave

FC3 AFM Missile Improvement Details

Matt Wagner has posted some info behind what the AFM does for the missiles improvments.

There have been a lot of questions of what the new FC3 Advanced Flight Model (AFM) for missiles entails, so here is description of some of the new features:

• Launcher platform speed, thrust, missile weight, total drag, gravity, etc. are all calculated to determine missile speed.
  • Missiles now incur realistic energy bleed that accounts for drag, induced drag and gravity. Induced drag calculates g-load and that factors the missile’s lift. Missiles will now bleed energy very quickly if the target performs hard maneuvers.
  • We added a longitudinal-load fuze arming type. The missile warhead of missile will only be armed after reaching the assigned longitudinal g-load (acceleration). Otherwise the missile will not detonate.
  • We added a limited duration to the missile’s power system (gas-generator, generator and hydraulic pump). When the onboard power system is exhausted, the missile goes ballistic.
  • We added a self-destruction timer. Some missiles will self-destruct when the timer is reached.
  • We added altitude based of self-destruction. Some missiles will destruct when reaching an assigned altitude above ground level.
  • We added a guidance timer delay. After launching a missile, the missile will fly straight from the from launcher for safety reasons before initiating the guidance stage. This is typically 0.3…1.5 seconds. For example: the R-27R missile flies unguided forward for 0.5 seconds before guidance to target starts.
  • We added parameters of loft trajectory. The initial range to target, the range of transition to proportional navigation, and initial angle of loft are all factored.

If this all works, it could make fighting AA in FC/DCS actually worthwhile.

funny as Thirdwire modeling had alot of those since well allways...

mind you, I'm newbie to DCSW

No changes to missile seeker logic so I predict the same game killing bugs present in FC2 will be present in FC3. Regardless of their wonderful new AFM.

Oh, you mean as far as ECM/ECCM and all that? That would be unfortunate.

No he means actual ability to engage targets. The AIM-120 is terrible. This is a missile that has no equal in the world yet flies like an AIM-7E, The AIM-7 in this sim is better than the AIM-120. WTF?

Oh, I know I always take 4 9's and 4 7's when I fly the F-15 in FC2!

Actually, the 120 is a decent replacement for the 9's. Use it as a dogfight missile and you get better range with roughly the same PK!

But wingmen don't let wingmen do BVR with 120s...in FC.

Please visit News3D.eu and register,we're talking about all of the DCS and Lock ON game