Sign in to follow this  
Wilches

Fact or fiction

Gents, as KAW is ariving lately, some of the most misterious facts about Korea War remains cloudy even in those days of globalization. The following description is taken from Squadron´s ¨Air War Over Korea¨, by Larry Davis, page 34. It says:

¨The NKAF fighter force, made up of Yak-3,Yak-7,P-39/P-63 Cobras, and IL-10 continued to attempt to stave off the American air onslaught, but it was a futile effort.¨

It´s not the first time I find a description about P-39/P-63 flying with the North Koreans. I NEVER saw any photo or a drawing showing these birds anywhere. It sounds very truly as the Soviets left many planes along the invaded countries and North Korea was one of these. I read too that american pilots used to called all the Korean´s inlined prop planes as ¨Yaks¨ and it may had been this case. What a great mistery it is...

The North Koreans had had Yak-9, IL-10 and La-11 and some old japanese birds.

No Yak-3, no Yak-7 and no Cobras.

The Cobras which the soviets had in WW2 were Lend Lease planes. What means, that they had to sent back to the USA after the war or had to be destroyed.

Gepard is right.The soviets had quite a number of cobras in service and could have lent them to the koreans.Again,pictures of aircraft from that era are limited.

Cobra's were long gone, and not used in the Far East.

Trust me, we've done our research (meaning, me)

Wrench the P-63 falls under classification "cool" so I have to use it in my fantasy stargetic game. Would they be available in 1947 for PVO use if needed? Stripped of old war paint and shined up in textureset they look great in game. Using P-39 for now but I can ramp it up for P-63 but what to call it? Right now I figure KingCobra is the best name...for game.