Slartibartfast

Okay were is everybody ?

You mean, there might be people who DON'T know him?

He came to German newspapers in the early seventies, and his name here was Willy Wacker.

I guess I have 20 Fawcett Gold Medal books with original Andy Capp in English, plus 5 German ones.

I love them all. Thank you, Mr. Smythe - I hope he earned you a good living!

He was one of my favorites, too, but i must admit he was behind Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. They remain my all-time favorites. I can't get through Linus's recitation in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" without getting a little misty.

But Andy Capp's rugby matches and his run-ins with the vicar, and all that - he was a good ol' ne'r-to-do-well!

Willy Wacker? That all most sounds, well kinda of wierd. Calvin and Hobbs was my favorite! I used to love reading them to my kids (When they were kids, all grown up now) However I am still here, anxiously awaiting WOFF. Any week now, right?

Rats, I meant almost sounds kinda wierd.

I am surprised they renamed him in Germany, too! But sometimes names don't translate so well, so we shall see if Herr Olham can shed any further light on the subject.

Yes, well, the first name "Andy" is not used in German; and we also don't use the word "Cap", so the joke would lost.

We have the short "Andi" for "Andreas", but it's not a very common name.

Best translation would have been "Andi Kappe".

"to wack" has a totally different meaning for you; in German the adjective "wacker" means something like "brave" or "hearty".

Don't the British and Americans also change names into English?

I have managed to sidetrack myself into Card Modeling (building paper models). There are a couple reasons for that, but mainly the summers here in Red Bluff are quite bright and warm. The room I now have my computer in will heat up to 90 degrees or so if I am doing graphic intensive persuits, I also have to block off the window (and therefore ventilation) to use my TrackIR.

Olham were you aware that Andy Cap's official job was as a Signwriter?

Beard

Andy Capp ever had "an official job" ???

If I remember correctly, he made reference to it one time. He queried Flo about giving up Rugby and returning to Signwriting.

Beard

By the way: I also have many Calvin & Hobbes comics, and the first three books are among my all-time-greats.

Strips like the one, where they are lying in a meadow, and Calvin is wondering about the question

where they might go when they die. The Tiger says "Pittsburg?"

And Calvin asks: "You mean when we were good, or when we were bad?"

Edited by Olham

Still hanging with the Big guys here..

have started redoing the italy expansion for BHAH..

it will take a bit to conplete this..

have a great one all..

Off into the wind..

Hobbit Scooterbike

By the way: I also have many Calvin & Hobbes comics, and the first three books are among my all-time-greats.

Strips like the one, where they are lying in a meadow, and Calvin is wondering about the question

where they might go when they die. The Tiger says "Pittsburg?"

And Calvin asks: "You mean when we were good, or when we were bad?"

I have that one pinned up on my cubicle wall! And... <ahem> it's Pittsburgh. 'Twas quite a fight for the "h" I gather... :wink:

My autistic son just loves them, we have the whole 3 volume set. He reads them aloud, and his expressions are priceless! We always laugh about his parent's "C" shaped heads when they are yelling at him.

Back story on that strip is that Bill Watterson is from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and so is likely a fan of the Cleveland, Ohio sports teams. Each city is always busting on the other one, we call Cleveland "the mistake by the lake", for instance. Both towns once had many steel mills and were just filthy & smoky; both towns have had instances of the rivers catching on fire due to floating industrial waste; but both are much, much nicer now that the mills (and the jobs, one of which was mine) are gone.

The rivalry between the (American) football teams, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cleveland Browns, was so strong that when the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, it continued just as bitterly. The new Cleveland Browns aren't quite the challenge, as I gather, but I may be wrong - I don't follow pro sports that much.

and HH - stop making me want a Harley again! :wink:

Edited by HumanDrone

I see you love your "hometown" amd defend every letter of it.

I think I'll remember that: Pittsburgh !

I have no real idea of autism and am amazed to read, that he can speak the characters

with life and emotions as the non-autistic have and show.

Edited by Olham

My favourite is 'VIZ'

Was originally sold in the pubs in Newcastle, before going Viral... Very rude, but VERY funny!

I see you love your "hometown" amd defend every letter of it.

I think I'll remember that: Pittsburgh !

I have no real idea of autism and am amazed to read, that he can speak the characters

with life and emotions as the non-autistic have and show.

Yeah, I was playfully yanking your chain about Pittsburgh, the non-uniform spelling gets a lot of people. You know, there is an Amish community about 90 miles west of here in Ohio, centered around a small town named Berlin - and the locals insist it is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable. I figure since the Amish speak a dialect of German they ought to know, but what say you? Or is it just their local preference?

We are very fortunate when it comes to my son. He can read, write, do simple mathematics, can speak clearly, ride a bicycle, and help us around the house and yard. But when he reads, it is with that "flattened" sort of speaking that, even though he is indicating emotion, it makes it sound like a poorly rehearsed play where the actors aren't fully into their characters somehow.

Widowmaker: VIZ, eh... <trundles off to search the intarwebz...> :ohmy::yikes:

Edited by HumanDrone

... there is an Amish community about 90 miles west of here in Ohio, centered around a small town named Berlin -

and the locals insist it is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable. I figure since the Amish speak a dialect

of German they ought to know, but what say you? Or is it just their local preference?

It is their local preference, HumanDrone.

Our capital is - in English phonetics - spelled "Bare-lean" (Ber-lin).

With the accent on the second silabel.

Edited by Olham

I've been gone for the better part of a year because of RL (getting a promotion, working 50 hours a week or more). then there's the small matter of finally creating my own mod (after years of playing everybody else's). I was sufficiently lacking in skills to help with the OFF mod-- so I started working with the Atari RTS Axis and Allies. however, modding a game is really hard work! it gives me a new appreciation for what the development team here has been doing.

It is their local preference, HumanDrone.

Our capital is - in English phonetics - spelled "Bare-lean" (Ber-lin).

With the accent on the second silabel.

Thank you sir! That's better than they say it on the news!

Thank you sir! That's better than they say it on the news!

Just listened through the voice samples of dict.cc, and the more correct English word

for the first silable would be rather "bear".

So it's "bear-lean".

And that makes even more sense - the bear is in Berlin's arms.

So it's "bear-lean".

And that makes even more sense - the bear is in Berlin's arms.

The etymology of towns and cities is always interesting. I suspect the bear in the coat of arms is a play on the sound of the first syllable... or does a bear feature more prominently in Berlin's early history?

Incidentally, on a previous point, I'd be inclined to say that you 'pluck the feathers' of your online opponents... thus disabling their flying abilities. In English too, though it's not a common expression you can 'lacquer' someone, meaning to give them a good going over, a beating.

I DO love the parallels in idiomatic expressions as much as the contrasts... though they are generally less revealing.

I'm around, just 'quiet' while waiting for WOFF. I have played some SF2 and FC2 over the summer, then recently decided to stick a toe in the venerable FSX. Had no idea there were that many add-ons for FSX! (currently using Air Hauler, REX and ORBx PNW). So many add-ons in fact I will never moan about the amount of DLC for Trainsimulator 2013 again. :)

...though it's not a common expression you can 'lacquer' someone, meaning to give them a good going over, a beating.

I DO love the parallels in idiomatic expressions as much as the contrasts...

Then you'll enjoy the American version, which is to "give somebody a good shellacing". (though I haven't heard it used in years.)

Ooops! Just noticed that this has been mentioned. I guess one should read all of Page 2 before replying to Page 3.

Edited by Hauksbee

I suspect the bear in the coat of arms is a play on the sound of the first syllable... or does a bear feature more prominently in Berlin's early history?

There are many theories, which can all not be proven.

The best one seems to be, that the heraldic animal was chosen after Albrecht I., who conquered the Mark Brandenburg back from the Slawonians

and seems to have started the fortification of the city. Albrecht's by-name was "the Bear".

http://en.wikipedia....Albert_the_Bear

Edited by Olham

Well, he said "iech bin ain Bärliener" - but we understood him very well.

I'm mostly passed out drunk under yonder table... The move of the "official" forum banner from this penthouse to that DOS-era relic called Sim HQ is a blow I fear the community will never recover from. :blackeye:

So, when I have something to say, I say it here. But usually being drunk under yonder table, I don't have much to say.