Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Spitfire 1A [late] and BF-109E-3 FM's

Thanks for the comments Heck. I have been doing a bit of work on the Bf-109-E3 and Spitfire 1A FM's and expect to post the latest versions soon. At some point I plan to add a separate Spitfire 1A [early] but not just yet. I have done some work on the A.I. for the BF-109 and the landings are much better now. For a quick fix try reducing the BF-109 stall speed to 36 meters/sec. Something I haven't had much success with is getting the BF-109 to do an easier take off when player flown. I have a few more things to try but the problem may be related to the angled landing gear. The Spitfire can be quite tricky as well but at least I can keep it on the runway most of the time. It just requires a very gradual application of power while keeping the tail down until about 50kts. Regarding Ravens Hurricane 1, I do plan on doing my own FM for that one as well as a drop in FM for the A-team BF-110 but haven't started either one yet. Cheers. :flyer:

Edited by baffmeister

Actually, Baffmeister, I don't mind difficulty in 109, or Spit take offs. It's the way they were with those narrow track landing gears. That's why novices found the Hurricane easier to fly. Nice wide track. I find both 109 and Spit quite controllable on take off, especially now that I've removed the Spits flaps for take off. As far as the 109 goes, I find it quite easy to take off in yours, as long as I do what a British pilot flying the machine once mentioned, don't attempt to raise the tail yourself, let her fly herself off. When a sim aircraft has to be handled the way the real one was, according to testimony from a real life pilot, then I don't think there's much off in your flight modelling. Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying these. Thanks for all your hard work.

don't attempt to raise the tail yourself, let her fly herself off.

wow! I've been doing it right years, and never knew it was the correct way!!! :biggrin: I do that with ALL planes!!

Thanks for the flying lessons Heck, it does help quite a bit! I have made a few changes to the FM that make things a bit easier as well. Should have some updated FM's ready in a few days.

Thanks for the flying lessons Heck, it does help quite a bit! I have made a few changes to the FM that make things a bit easier as well. Should have some updated FM's ready in a few days.

Looking forward to them, and the Hurricane and 110 to follow. Great fms. Thank you.

Updated Spitfire 1A and BF-109E-3 data inis attached. I decided to make separate Spitfire 1A early and late data inis so some editing will be required to get them both in game using the Wrench/TMF Spitfire 1A. Quite a few changes:

1. Trying to come up with a standardized approach for armor plate. The Spit 1A "early" has baseline entries for no armor plate. The baseline entries are to create some "structure" around the fuel tanks, cockpit and engine. Also, the engine is used to supply some protection to the fuel tanks and pilot. Wrench may have been the one to come up with this concept and it seems like a good idea.

2.] New but different AI entries for the Spit and BF-109. The browning machine guns are a bit light on the hitting power so the burst duration has been made longer on the Spitfire. The BF-109 gets shorter bursts and and a few other differences to encourage the AI to keep the speed up. The AI seems to do OK with the BF-109 but can't say the same for myself.

3.] BF-109E CofG has been moved forward quite a bit. The model center is quite far back so moving this forward improves the ground handling quite a bit and also reduces the nose down force when flying with the gear extended. Requires an edit to the cockpit position. [included] Some other FM changes as well.

4.] BF-109 Cockpit file and revised cockpit ini included. The cockpit has Crusaders Revi gun sight TGA as well as some of Crusaders ini edits. Also, some ini edits done by myself. The manifold pressure gauge will indicate 1.20 ata for climb power and 1.30 ata for WEP. The take off power was 1.40 ata but the engine table doesn't cover that. I thought the 5 minute limit was the more important one to model.

5.] The Spitfire gets a bit more elevator travel and a few other changes to try and induce a bit of a departure if you push it too hard at low speeds. It still remains quite departure resistant unless you get sloppy on the rudder. Some interesting reports of the Spitfire 1A being more prone to spinning out of turns after the guns had been fired. Apparently, the fabric covering over the gun ports reduced the tendency. A USAF Spitfire Vb flight test report didn't find any major issues during high G turns.

6.] The empty weights have been rounded quite a bit but hopefully the relative differences are reasonably accurate. Looking at the empty weights of the TW Spitfire and Mustang, which seem a bit heavy, I started wondering if TW adds in pilot weight and possibly oil and glycol. It would seem to make sense to do so.

7.] Using a tighter date range for the different aircraft.

Probably no further updates for quite awhile, it's time to work on the Hurricane and BF-110. Cheers.

Spit-BF109beta0.9.zip

Edited by baffmeister
  • Like 1

I did plan to update the BF-109E series as they getting old...such as flaps on the 3,maybe remap it to a higher res,and add more detail...if I have the time.

Edited by russouk2004

An updated BF-109 would be very nice. I don't know much about model building but would suggest setting up the slats so they work on their own. At present they seem to be combined with the flaps. I have Ini only slats on the new FM. Regarding the model center, TW places the center point on their prop fighters near the front of the wing. Ravens Hurricane is similar but lots of other WW2 models with the center point similar to the BF-109E.

Thanks for the new fms, Baffmeister.

ive done new flaps but not sure how they operated against the outer flaps..(Tho you cant see they are seperate in pics btw).models done...must say..FM is far better ...nice job

post-1981-0-22852900-1360373678_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-37007000-1360373688_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-06871200-1360373696_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Wow! Looks good! Would you be interested in sending me what you have for some further FM upgrades prior to release? I could probably get some more FM improvements done over the next week or two. If so, just send it by PM. Cheers.

Ok will do...this model needs centre co-ords done...will send it u a bit later ..

Ive redone skin with all new rivets,lines etc and updated model..

I cannot upload as my mobo died and new here tomorrow...so soon as pc back up will post it.