This thread is a marquee example of how a few of those who are supposed to be moderating this board are actually destroying it. Until that issue is resolved, this will continue to go on, and on and on.

Now go ahead and ban me.

I don't understand how this is a "marquee example." There are real people behind these projects and I dare anyone to stand up to the kind of daily scrutiny they receive and not get frustrated. Most of it isn't what is said as much as how it's said. It happens, we move on, no big deal. To draw the conclusion that this is in any way destruction I beg to differ. It's called passion and you can either elect to support it and help it continue to grow or you can jump on the band wagon and see who wants to listen to more complaints. I would offer you that your post does more to destroying anything than any outburst I've ever seen from the modders, moderators, or staff here. I'm not into banning people, but thank you kindly for the permission.

:ohsnap:

thanks Erik!

An "A" is always an "A"? Not necessarily true, as there is a 6-3 (hard-winged) winged A-model that occasionally appears at airshows, which I pointed out to Wrench. Rather interesting, actually, as it still has elevators, as opposed to the all-flying tail.

800px-F-86a_sabre_fu-178_kemble_arp.jpg

Edited by Fubar512

I know I may be mistaken, Fubar. I thought they had to do some rebuilding of this A, and for some reason they chose not to use the slats, but used a solid leading edge with fences. I'm pretty sure the rebuild team did this, unless that's what you meant. I'm confused, but with somebody as dim as me, it's pretty easy...

I will say the old saw of 'I don't have the ability' that some folks make as an excuse to not contribute to the community but have no problem telling everyone else what they supposedly did wrong is getting really old.

Just about EVERYTHING except actual 3d object building (and terrain building in SF2NA) can be done with simple freeware tools, either provided by ThirdWire, the community, or the web in general. Most of these tools have tutorials on how to use them and enough knowledge here and elsewhere on how to apply them in the TW series.

Here are, in my opinion, legitimate excuses as to why you cannot make a mod for the TW series (again, other than 3d objects):

1. You have a physical disability.

2. You have a mental disability.

3. English is not your primary language.

4. Technical issues (old computer, very slow internet,etc) - Even then, if you can't make a mod, how can you play the game...?

Now, there are a billion reasons why you may not make a mod for the community, usually most having to deal with priorities of time, interest, etc. Those are fine, we all have things in real life that take away from that. I have no problem with those priorities. I also have no problem with those who feel their talents do not measure up...things like texture creation, effects and 3d modeling require a certain 'eye' to get it right.

So, if you fall into the above, you have legitimate reasons to be not be a content creator...and that's okay! But it also means you have to adapt a certain attitude of being grateful for what you do get...or being constructive in your critiques.

But, things like ini editing, simple decal creation, hanger screens, menus, etc. can be done by just about anyone.

If you are NOT willing to do these things, but are willing to continue to take the time to destructively criticize those who do, you are being lazy.

If you have the time and energy to post on a internet forum you have the ability to find and edit an ini file.

If you have the ability to research exhaustively, scan your paper copies of manuals, and post them here, you have the ability and time to make your own simple decals.

And if you can fly a plane in real life, you better believe you have the ability to do those things I listed. And especially if you have the ability and qualifications to fly a crew aircraft, then you have the social skills to get your point across without sounding like a condescending asshat. Otherwise, the other crew members would apply CRM via a 2x4 to your head.

FC

• Like 1

I know I may be mistaken, Fubar. I thought they had to do some rebuilding of this A, and for some reason they chose not to use the slats, but used a solid leading edge with fences. I'm pretty sure the rebuild team did this, unless that's what you meant. I'm confused, but with somebody as dim as me, it's pretty easy...

That may have been applied during the Korean war, or shortly afterwards (A-models had slatted wings to begin with, if they had upgraded that model at a later date, why not use the slatted F-40 wing?). Adding the all-flying tail would involve rebuilding the entire tail cone, as aircraft so-equipped have a rather noicable fairing to allow for the hydraulic actuators and their attendent plumbing.

Otherwise, the other crew members would apply CRM via a 2x4 to your head.

Wood was banned through regulation because it splinters, however the certified method as officially printed, "any metal or steel object weighing 3 lbs. or less that can obtain an in-motion velocity greater than 120 mph."

That may have been applied during the Korean war, or shortly afterwards (A-models had slatted wings to begin with, if they had upgraded that model at a later date, why not use the slatted F-40 wing?). Adding the all-flying tail would involve rebuilding the entire tail cone, as aircraft so-equipped have a rather noicable fairing to allow for the hydraulic actuators and their attendent plumbing.

Gotcha. Thanks, Fubar. I knew they re-winged some E's, but it never occurred they might have done A's as well. I get it.

free:

GIMP

Paint.net

pay -and the best one-

Photoshop 7

Love to be able to pay but money is short at the moment.

Will gimp provide the level to make the #s for the Sabres.

Again if I insulted you

I PUBICALLY Apologize!

i've never used GIMP, but iirc Daddyairplanes does and it generate the 32-bit tga (with alpha channel) quite easitly he said.

I have pant.net, but only use for DDS textures; some of the skins on the F-80 and other choked PS.7 nearly to death!

my primary tools are photoshop 6 and 7 (I don't like how 7 draws rivet lines)

apology accepted.

now, lets move on!!

Love to be able to pay but money is short at the moment.

Will gimp provide the level to make the #s for the Sabres.

Again if I insulted you

I PUBICALLY Apologize!

Gimp works a treat for creating decals. Gimp 2.6 creates them very easily. Just learn layers. If you have any questions, just ask. There's a small learning curve with Gimp, but once you learn how to use it, it becomes second nature, and you can churn out quite a few numbers very quickly. I think once you get started with this, you'll find it becomes quite addictive, and you won't be able to stop. First serial numbers, then personal markings; the possibilities for creative fun in this sim are endless. The only thing you won't be able to find is the font North American used. That, for me, is the Holy Grail. Give yourself some time; have fun.

• Like 1

Got it downloaded and installed.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well something very unmanlike; read the directions!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend GIMP as well (now up to version 2.8).

I now do all my texture work with it. And it can read PSD files. There are a few things that PS7 does better, but you can't beat GIMPs price.

FC

The only thing you won't be able to find is the font North American used.

I have never seen that font, can you show me an example?

I have these if any of them interest you.

fonts.gif

Got it downloaded and installed.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well something very unmanlike; read the directions!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

This is f'ing great and terrific to see. Way to go!

I have never seen that font, can you show me an example?

I have these if any of them interest you.

post-1-0-63636400-1355103771_thumb.gif

The one one top looks closer to what they used on the Sabres to me.

Opinions?

This is a decal sheet photo I swiped from the net. As you can see, the F is very distinctive. The numbers appear closest to RAF Type 1, which I have. You can see them clearly on the Sabre in the second picture.

post-11855-0-36300000-1355107207.jpg

post-11855-0-87955300-1355107674_thumb.jpg

Since you have good reference material it wouldn't be anything to throw it into freehand and make up an entire font set. What I do see that seems to be a variation in what's released is the numbers on the fuselage are solid (FU-108) where the numbers on the vertical stab are stenciled (8 have a noticeable cut in the top and bottom). I see what you mean about the "F" though.

HD32025t1.jpg

HBD-TC48025V1.jpg

HBD-TC48025V1_1.jpg

F-86a_sabre_fu-178_kemble_arp.jpg

Thanks, Erik. Blue is an evil color. Gimp must slay blue. :grin:

Thanks, Erik. Blue is an evil color. Gimp must slay blue. :grin:

Something got lost in the translation, I don't understand anything past "Thanks, Erik."

Something got lost in the translation, I don't understand anything past "Thanks, Erik."

Sorry, Erik. :biggrin: By using select color in Gimp 2.82, I can eliminate the blue and have the numbers and letters I need in a handy, cut and paste .tga file. Now, if I can figure out how to create that font in one of the free font creators, I'll be happy Heck, because that will be easier to use in Gimp. If not, it'll just be more tedious to use. But, alas, off to work today...

Edited by Heck

Heck, there are a few places I've gone to make a font.

One that did a decent job was www.myscriptfont.com. You download their PDF file, put your font on it, make sure it's sized to 300 dpi, resend, and presto...a TTF format font ready to go.

Also, I believe Gimp allows you to 'kern' the individual letters, to eliminate the odd spacing certain numbers/letters might have.

FC

Thanks, FC. I'll give that a try later. Love this community...

Edited by Heck