MAKO69

DRAKEN Intl and RNZAF A-4Ks

I went to the Sun "N" Fun Fly In/Air Show at Lakeland Airport Florida today. I saw the only Skyhawk from NZ that has been assembled so far and 2 MBs. The plane flew last week for the first time, its a TA-4K(T-Bird) its still olive drab with all the Kiwi markings on the fuselage, the DRAKEN logo has been added to the plane about half way down the plane after the air intakes, I was about 250 feet away, but it looks like they added the Black Diamond Demo team logo or something similar to the tail fin about 3 feet high by 2 and a half feet wide close to the leading edge mid height. I spoke to a few people from Draken International. It sounds as if the U.S. State Dept. has put some serious restrictions on the A-4Ks that Draken Intl. purchased. Draken's owner and his chief pilots inquired about having the TA-4K to be on static display and they were shot down on their request. The 2 people I spoke to stated that the US Govt' isn't ready for them to display the aircraft, explanation: "The plane may only be a Skyhawk, but they have a lot of onboard stuff that the US State Dept doesn't want them to flaunt to the public, It is a fully capable modern combat plane". For those of you that don't know the A-4K KAKU Hawk has the onboard radar and systems of the F-16. I talked to a NZ guy for about 30 minutes (I must say he was impressed with my knowledge of the RNZAF Skyhawks)I told him that the KAHU is a wolf in sheep's clothing he laughed and agreed that is the best description he's ever heard of the KAHU Hawk. As for pictures I was asked not to take any because of the US State Dept. restrictions. Did some hard core deep searching got some photos. Time for you skinners to get busy.

21932209_BG3.jpg

8638569924_f101ef5a62_z.jpg

Draken-International-A-4K.jpg

8637464507_e4819f5d95_z.jpg

487989_637551319591996_911172521_n.jpg

537201_637551336258661_1003456606_n.jpg

537209_637551346258660_1048995644_n.jpg

Edited by MAKO69
  • Like 1

Time for you skinners to get busy.

WIP:

post-59028-0-83570100-1365755138_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The standard reaction here is usually "Only a Skyhawk?? That's a Kahu buddy! Don't you ever forget it!"

WIP:

A-4K Draken 2.JPG

I Hope you plan on sharing that skin Bro! By the way what is the emblem on the tail?

Edited by MAKO69

I need to sort out new serial numbers to finish it off. I managed to get the tail emblem from a screen shot of a video news article I found on the net about Draken.

post-59028-0-22674800-1365768056_thumb.jpg

Edited by dtmdragon

I will be checking the DL section in anticipation!

Is that Scott at the podium? I'm sure he was bragging about everything HE did to make this happen and how it will make vast improvements to the local economy. Or some other Tolkein-esque tale.

Yup. Wow, 55 new jobs. The economy is fully recovered, thanks to Scott!

Great find STORM ! Rgr that I did get hosed, those photos were taken on New Zealand heritage day I bet. The ones on the flight line were probably people that were allowed close up me, a civie now I was brought close, but asked not to photo.