Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

Flying as a Wingman

Just last night, I started a new campaign with the Lafayette Escadrille at their inception in 1916. Flying the Nieuport 11 has been an adventure as it has virtually no gauges, questionable visibility, no reliable way to aim my bursts, and only 194 rounds. Despite all this, I did enjoy my first flight ever as a wingman and I was able to down an Einie. I am flying with no visual aids as well and this has made the experience even more challenging. This is a totally different experience altogether and I recommend it to those who haven't tried it.

I've found that one of the biggest challenges for myself has been to just stay in formation, let alone be looking around me in all directions for enemy aircraft. I suppose I'll get better at this as time goes on and fortunately I'm not facing anything too dangerous out there in terms of aircraft.

The one thing that I've found frustrating is that at times, even though I'm full throttle I can't keep up with my flight. They just zoom away and leave me alone in the dust and I have to warp to get back with them. Has anyone else experienced this and what should I do other than warp to keep up?

Edited by Shiloh

Hi Shiloh, do you use a modded OFF ? If you don't, Lothar's mods work quite well in solving the keeping-up problem although, in my experience, not completely. Other than that, warping is the only solution. It's a bugger because flying as a wingman imo is the best experience OFF has to offer. One downside is that after a long patrol of keeping formation, looking out for EA etc, I am bloody exhausted - I kid you not. Another way of rationalising the situation is just to consider yourself the FNG who copped the most clapped-out crate in the squadron - works for me :smile: . Hth (sorry abt the lack of pars, can't seem to format)

Hi, Shiloh!

I also recommend to switch all aids off. Suddenly you see the real events then, and it works fine.

Throw away your crutches, brother - you can walk!

I never had that problem to keep up with my flight - so I recommend: Albatros!

(Mmuahahahahaaa!!!!)

But seriously:

maybe it helps when you do NOT try to climb as well as them, but rather concentrate on good

forward speed. Only climb a bit, then line up with horizon, until the crate has the full speed again;

then climb a bit again, and so on. I call it "staircasing".

Once the flight reached their altitude, they won't climb anymore, and you may reach them.

Another thing you could do is (for the price of loosing personal skins): fly with limited fuel.

Of course you must know how much the journey takes to return safely...

Edited by Olham

Hi Shiloh, do you use a modded OFF ? If you don't, Lothar's mods work quite well in solving the keeping-up problem although, in my experience, not completely. Other than that, warping is the only solution. It's a bugger because flying as a wingman imo is the best experience OFF has to offer. One downside is that after a long patrol of keeping formation, looking out for EA etc, I am bloody exhausted - I kid you not. Another way of rationalising the situation is just to consider yourself the FNG who copped the most clapped-out crate in the squadron - works for me :smile: . Hth (sorry abt the lack of pars, can't seem to format)

I'm currently playing OFF vanilla. I'm not sure which mod of Lothar's you are referring to? Like you said Sid, I do feel a bit on edge as I'm flying just trying to stay in formation, keeping my head on a swivel, etc. Sometimes my shoulders are real tight afterwards I guess from clenching them so hard and feeling the stress. That's what it's all about afterall isn't it? Feeling what the pilots felt that is.

Hi, Shiloh!

I also recommend to switch all aids off. Suddenly you see the real events then, and it works fine.

Throw away your crutches, brother - you can walk!

I never had that problem to keep up with my flight - so I recommend: Albatros!

(Mmuahahahahaaa!!!!)

But seriously:

maybe it helps when you do NOT try to climb as well as them, but rather concentrate on good

forward speed. Only climb a bit, then line up with horizon, until the crate has the full speed again;

then climb a bit again, and so on. I call it "staircasing".

Once the flight reached their altitude, they won't climb anymore, and you may reach them.

Another thing you could do is (for the price of loosing personal skins): fly with limited fuel.

Of course you must know how much the journey takes to return safely...

Thanks for the tips Olham. I did try to fly straght-and-level as they climbed but they still pulled away. Hopefully this is remedied in WOFF.

Limited fuel helped me.

How is it that you adjust fuel again? And do you find you're able to keep up?

Shiloh, you must switch over from "Individual skins" to "Fuel Management" in "Workshops".

Then you can select the amount of fuel befor each flight. I think it was in the briefing window.

You will soon find out, how much you need for which distances, and it makes a difference,

wether you fly with 100% or with 30% fuel weight.

Edited by Olham

Yeah, it is in the main page of workshop, choice of unique skin or fuel and bullet load.

Bottom of the screnn, just left of center.

Unless I'm flying a bomber, I'll choose a mission based on fuel by clicking on "optional mission" in the mission brief that has a distance I like. Part of the mission brief gives estimated total miles of mission. I add 30% more fuel to that for a return to base which allows for all the base circling/forming up and some dogfighting or getting lost.

Proper fuel mixture is another issue in keeping up with the flock. If you don't want to keep adjusting it, try auto mix and see if it makes a difference. Then you can turn it off and learn how to manually adjust it (top of workshop just right of center). You'll have to assign key commands under the engine management section of game controls. There is a slider for how much it is adjusted with one click too. What works for me is leaning out till engine sounds funny or stalls and riching up a click. Don't forget to rich up when diving or the engine will stall!! It's good to have a button for full rich

Edited by MudWasp48

Good stuff Olham and MudWasp thanks! I do fly with automix and I like it just fine. See that, I've been flying OFF on-and-off for 2 years and I'm still learning new things.

Thanks Lothar! :ok: