Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Computer Hardware and OFF/WOFF (split from screenshots thread)

For comparison, here's an example of really fast storage (the OCZ RevoDrive I use):

post-46026-0-29507200-1368186839_thumb.jpgpost-46026-0-95779700-1368186848_thumb.jpg

Same two tests, and the difference is huge. 8-10 times faster for some of the ATTO tests - this illustrates getting fast storage off the SATA interface altogether (ie, how really fast storage can 'outrun' a SATA interface, basically leaving SATA as the bottleneck - even SATA6).

And take note of the random access times in HDTach compared to conventional drives above - this is on the order of 150x faster. It's actually the factor that I believe contributes most to helping with "microstutters".

Tamper,

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation. Kind of confusing on the first read, but after a couple more times and Google searching it, it makes much more sense.

I will have to do some more studying and learning, and since I will either be doing a major rebuild next year or a new build totally, this will be great information to have.

Well appreciated.

Hi AROTH, sorry for the confusion, it can be a bit much at first. I do this a lot, so I sometimes forget not everyone likes all that detail at once :blink:

In truth, if you were to buy new storage now it's probably going to be SATA6 anyway (check to be sure). But my own opinion is that no one should intentionally buy a new conventional platter-based disk just to go from SATA3 to SATA6. The difference would be almost negligable. But, if you're in the market anyway, then (if you want pure speed) consider going to SSD(s). If you want more storage space for the money - even if at the cost of optimal performance - then buy the highest-performance, conventional SATA6 hard disk you can afford.

Many gamers are now going to setups using both SSDs (for games that require optimal speed) and regular hard disks (for general storage and slower games). There are such things as "hybrid" disks which incorporate both SSD and platter components, and other alternatives include systems (Intel's Z68 chipset, for an example) that allow a small SSD to cache the main system hard disk, improving performance. My own system is a combination of SSDs, platter-based drives, RAID arrays, and an add-in storage card; each part intended to offer more/less speed/space as appropriate to whatever will be loaded there.

I am glad if this information helps, and would be happy to answer any questions.

Edited by Tamper

WoooHooo!

Got a good price on an Asus GTX 660 Ti Top 2GB and it arrived today. I beat the UPS man home and even had time to clean my PC before he hit my place. It's installed and running correctly.

I'm heading offline off to fly OFF and see what differences I experience from my GTX 550 TI OC

Cold beer in da fridge, Walleye thawing along with some venison for a late dinner.

Life is good.

Have fun and enjoy the new top speed graphics!

Hi there RAF Lou,

Clearly not an expert of this sort but I just had my :Laptop upgraded with a solid state processor? I think that's it. My, what a difference. Like it so much my PC is going for the same upgrade. My fellow showed me the test results, similar as to what was posted by Tamper, and they were all about 20 - 30% better.

Cheers,

Britisheh

I bought some more goodies

Storage; VelociRaptor 500GB, WD black 2 TB

120mm blue led Tt fan for the bottom intake

Zalman CNPS9900Max 135mm blue led cpu heatsink/fan

I have to say I love the Roccat mouse and keyboard. For over a decade I used whatever was around, much of "throw aways", and that is ok, but this is way better. Especially at night, the backlight keyboard rocks.

The Zalman cpu cooler also works and looks great. Wasn't too bad to insata in the Tt Chaser Mk-1 as the back of the motherboard is exposed easily. Big cooler with nice led blue to match the whole system. The design/looks reminds me a bit of an old radial engine.

Before I started this build I wasn't comfortable doing it on my own, more inclined to buy a PC.

I learned much and slowly added in what I wanted. Good learning and confidence builder.