Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

First Drone (X-47) Carrier Launch video

Well, publicly with this much fanfare. With all the stuff done over the years with drones, UAVs, and armed UAVs, starting in Vietnam, I think calling this "first" is hopelessly naive.

I disagree. This thing is built to launch and land like a manned aircraft. This is not a disposable Firebee. This is a milestone in the development of UAV technology to replace manned aircraft in the strike role. Nothing naive about it.

I'm not saying this isn't a better system. I'm saying if you're going to call it a "drone" and then say "this is the first", that's wrong.

We've had U-2s and C-130s fly off them, that was far more impressive!

"I" don't call them drones. Drones are worker bees. You get a roger from me but I feel more impressed by this than those other stunts you mentioned. This has the same magnitude as the first carrier launch or take off ever. This is day one of a new era in naval warfare and how the USA projects global offensive strike operations for the future. The next "TOP GUN" movie could just consists of shots of two laptops or ipads for that matter with an occasional screen shot of something blowing up, for an hour and a half!

The next "TOP GUN" movie could just consists of shots of two laptops or ipads for that matter with an occasional screen shot of something blowing up, for an hour and a half!

This remember me a USMC instructor who tells during an AH-1Z demo flight that the futur "Viper" pilots will just be beat'em all like video games players, since all in this new chopper has been done to make it flew by nerds.