Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

US Army airfields in Germany and Vietnam

one of my distracted searches of late has been into US Army airfields in Germany. several had runways of at least 3000 ft. what i'm wondering is why they haven't been included in the likes of NF5 or Stary's GermanyCE. it would give several more airfields for dispersion in wartime, as well as a place for the Apaches and Hueys currently available as well as any future helos to operate from. I titled this and Vietnam cause it goes to figure that terrain would benefit as well. not a terrain guru but I would think this could be done with a new airfield (small runway, large apron, no shelters) and some placement. just a thought, even if the answer is no due to workload.

I think the best we're going to get is the highway mod by JSF_Aggie. I know there was an old airfield in Schweinfurt where the Cav birds hung out at but I don't remember the length (though it seems around 3,000ft or so) But I think it's mainly placing it, unless you can reference bases on a map like that... and even then would be "best guess"

Hmppppf. As said i was doing some research into it for my own amusement. Was actually going a different route on finding units when i started. But several of those i found had runways between 2200 and 3000. Its why i thought of it.

i know that some of the us-army and heeresflieger airfields did get used by the nato air forces , we had from time to time A-10´s on our airfield in laupheim (EDPM now ETHL / CH-53G) and an emergency landing of an CF-18A

so i think to add the larger air fields would be ok , just the runway,apron and the hangars

as far as i can remember are all heeresflieger airfields with runways the only thing missing was the arresting gear systems therefore jets did normaly not use this airfields , other fix wing aircraft like C-130 or C-160 did and on some nato exercises the A-10 or Harrier as well