Hey, my notebook quit (and I'm not going to have the gpu soldered to the mainboard a 5th time or so!) - so I am up for a new rig...

I am thinking about a gaming tower (no real need for a notebook), but what would be your recommendations?

What are the current minimums for a smoothly running SF2?

Is the game able to "play" with / benefitting from a 3D-screen?

Recommended resolution and widescreen-possibilities of the monitor...?

See, I am poking in the fog just to get a better idea what machine to look for... And it will certainly not be a HP after the weak (German) support they were giving me, when my dv-pavilion started developping probs!

Thanks for your input

Hi, I don't know what budget your on but here are my suggestions:

CPU - Intel i5 ivy bridge 3570 (or 3570k if you're into overclocking);

motherboard - something based on Z77 chipset (Asrock Z77 Extreme4 for example);

8GB (2 sticks of 4GB each) of DDR3 1600MHz RAM - any known brand should do - kingston, corsair, geil, g.skill, patriot etc.

HDD - again depending on your budget either 1TB Western Digital Black series or bigger (not a fan of Seagate), or, ideally combine it with a 128 or 256 GB SSD drive;

Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 7850 or better, Nvidia GTX  660 or better with at least 2GB of RAM;

Power Supply Unit - stick with Corsair, Fortron, Seasonic, Tagan, Antec, 600W or better

As far as I know, SF2 doesn't benefit from 3D

As far as the screen goes - stick with either 1920x1080 Full HD or a 1920x1200 one, 22 inches or more. Brand? IDK, maybe try IIYAMA or EIZO.

Good hunting! ;]

Edited by SFP1Ace

Ah, VERY helpful - indeed... The more as this describes one of the "bestsellers" on a German hopepage I found.... ;)

A little heavy on price, but this appears to be a "stable" investment.

The one I found has Win7 64bit - if I rember correctly I should better stay with 32bit, right (and why is that)?

As said: the hint that 3D would "work" (to whatever extent) was from the TW-borad somewhere - I need to look that up...

Again: thanks a lot!

The one I found has Win7 64bit - if I rember correctly I should better stay with 32bit, right (and why is that)?

No need to stay on 32bit windows, go 64...

Same true for Microsoft Flight Simulator 9? (I know, strange to ask this here - but anyway....)

Yeah 64-bit Windows7 runs everything, been using it since public beta, have yet to encounter incompatibility so I can say that unless you use some kind of specialized professional software there will be no problems whatsoever...

Yeah 64-bit Windows7 runs everything, been using it since public beta, have yet to encounter incompatibility so I can say that unless you use some kind of specialized professional software there will be no problems whatsoever...

Amen to that Brother! :friends:

Same true for Microsoft Flight Simulator 9? (I know, strange to ask this here - but anyway....)

The specs listed for SF2 here will absolutely manhandle a sim as old as FS9. So yes, the same is true, assuming you can install it on Win7 or 8

quad core, minimum!

win 7, 64 bit

the biggest power supply that'll fit!!

min 2 gig vid card

6-8 gigs ram

quad core, minimum!

win 7, 64 bit

min 2 gig vid card

6-8 gigs ram

like Wrench says, but more specifically, GDDR5 RAM on your video card.

Thanks for your input everybody.

I just placed my order:

- I5-3570K CPU

- intel Z77 Express

- 8GB DDR3

- 128GB SSD plus 1TB SATA

- GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB RAM

- Win7 Home Premium 64bit

- liquid cooled (wow!)

(pretty much as SFP1Ace recommended)

and together with it a 24" Asus VE248H 1920x1080 screen

plus

Logitech G510 keyboard

Loooking forward to receiving the pack - not so very much to re-installing the whole bunch of software..... But that's the way it is!

Thanks again!

Actually I'd go for quality over pure wattage but yeah, PS is a very important part of the PC...

Thanks for your input everybody.

I just placed my order:

- I5-3570K CPU

- intel Z77 Express

- 8GB DDR3

- 128GB SSD plus 1TB SATA

- GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB RAM

- Win7 Home Premium 64bit

- liquid cooled (wow!)

(pretty much as SFP1Ace recommended)

and together with it a 24" Asus VE248H 1920x1080 screen

plus

Logitech G510 keyboard

Loooking forward to receiving the pack - not so very much to re-installing the whole bunch of software..... But that's the way it is!

Thanks again!

Well this rig should let you enjoy even the SF2:NA new terrain with high FPS me thinks! Congrats & enjoy!