When it comes to defense budgets I can only ask: "What is the price of freedom?"

A valid question but unfortunately it's going to open a can of worms that can be discussed in the Political Arena please.

If Finland isn't wedded to the idea of twin engines, I'd say the Gripen NG would be a good bet.

• Like 1

If Finland isn't wedded to the idea of twin engines, I'd say the Gripen NG would be a good bet.

I only say "german double-engine doctrine" caused by the Starfighter-Desaster. Although nowadays the single-engined fighter planes are far more reliable as the fighters were back then.

Canada originally picked the Hornet over the F-16 precisely because of the twin-engine safety idea. Several others like Switzerland and Australia did as well, IIRC. After 30 years of operational history, I think the modern single-engine fighter has proven to be no less reliable than the twins.

How about getting a 'winder up the arse? Does a second engine increases the odds of survival such a hit in any significant way?

Well, IMO the Hornet has the engines so close together that the chances of the second engine surviving is greatly diminshed, IIRC the Soviets designed the MiG-29 and Su-27 like they did to have some distance between engines and thus increase survivability. Personally I also think that the GripenNG is looking good, esp. cost wise, but will probably not offer much capability growth over the F/A-18C. Sukhoit T50 is more like it  :biggrin: But FDF has some kind of serious mistrust of Russian arms , they even removed the Sa-11 Buk-M1 SAMs from service because they thought the Russians could somehow counter these magically. Guess the Georgian war proved them wrong, when one RuAf Tu-22m3 was downed by a Buk (don't know if that was ever confirmed though).

Actually during Desert Storm few Hornets took some missiles into a@s and they returned to base, besides flying over the sea is always better to have two chimneys than one.

It's the whole balance between survivability and controllability. If they're close together and one dies due to a technical issue, your single-engine yaw isn't that bad. If they're far apart and you get one hit by enemy fire, you're likely to have the other one still working. HOWEVER, single-engine yaw in an F-14, 29, or 27 is much harsher, and the likelihood of battle damage taking out more than one engine is higher in a 15 or 18.

It's a toss up.

Ha! I remember one cartoon shown on Cartoon Network back in the 90's that had Cats piloting sexy fighter jets with THREE engines! :D And the music in that show was cool with rock guitar riffs! Oh memories....

That would be SwatKats and their Turbokat :)

Loved that show when I wasa kid

Re. engines close together, the F-14's were spaced wide due to experience over Vietnam of F-4's having both engines knoked out at the same time.

Craig

• Like 1

Boeing F/A-18E/F Advanced Super Hornet Carrier-Based Strike Fighter.

Boeing is offering its Advanced Super Hornet as an interim solution pending the full-operational status arrival of the Lockheed F-35 Lightning II system.
Boeing has taken to a private venture to produce a "stealthified" version of its excellent carrier-based F/A-18E/F "Super Hornet" series under the project designation of "Advanced Super Hornet". The type will feature modular components retrofitted to the existing Super Hornet airframe in an attempt to lower its radar signature and overall profile while being a budget conscious solution to current USN needs. 
Key to the changes will be implementation of an enclosed weapons pod under the fuselage, use of Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFTs) and an all new "skin" coating along surfaces. On the whole, the airframe will remain largely the same and compatible with all current hardware and software systems in use. As such, it is expected that the Advanced Super Hornet will received some serious attention from the United States Navy and Super Hornet operators from around the world. 
The base Super Hornet does field some inherent stealth capabilities though its external weapons loadout compromise further efforts - hence the development of a weapons pod to contain munitions until fired. Donned with conformal fuel tanks and an enclosed weapons pod will lay under the center fuselage and house up to four missiles (or similar stores). The conformal fuel tanks will not only retard the airframe's low already signature but also increase the base Super Hornet's combat radius from the standard 390 nautical miles to approximately 510 nautical miles. The cockpits will be slightly reworked to include increased-area touchscreen displays and projected engines will be uprated General Electric F414 turbofans.

War machine's facebook page

I think the takeaway here is that the Advanced Super Hornet for Strike Fighters 2 is not going to be anytime soon, FC may work on it, he may not, that's the whole point.