Boresight

SF 2 merged/moded install porked? Please tell me otherwise.

Hello everyone,

What a disappointment... all 5 modules SF 2 merged install, with TMF F-14, and yesterday installed the " full-scale iceland terrain v 2.0 " and loved it.

Yesterday, everything run just great.

However before shutting down my PC, I've run "CCleaner" and "advanced system care" tools...

Today, after 2 or 3 missions, every module (Israel or North Atlantic) crashes/freezes always at the loading screen 40 % progress.

Do you think the maintenance programs mentioned above might be the culprit?

I would appreciate your help, otherwise will have to uninstall everything.

All those programs as well as antiviruses can harm you as yo have described. But sadly, I think that the only solution you have is to uninstall everything ....

All those programs as well as antiviruses can harm you as yo have described. But sadly, I think that the only solution you have is to uninstall everything ....

Thank you cangas...

SF 2 modules/expansion packs already uninstalled by the way... I do feel some rage right now.

Do you advice some folders to delete, besides the typical "control panel ; remove programs " ?

I mean, I really wan't to start a new install without any old registry traces.

Thank you.

I use CCleaner on a regular basis, and have never had a problem with it impacting my SF2 merged install.  I run the CCleaner cleaner and registry cleaner, but I have never used the "advanced system care" tool.  Checking my CCleaner menu, I do not see any "advanced system care" tool.  Is this the freeware version 4.06.4324 version?

I use CCleaner on a regular basis, and have never had a problem with it impacting my SF2 merged install.  I run the CCleaner cleaner and registry cleaner, but I have never used the "advanced system care" tool.  Checking my CCleaner menu, I do not see any "advanced system care" tool.  Is this the freeware version 4.06.4324 version?

It's the IObit Advanced System Care 6.3 free.

Might it been the Baltika's Full-Scale Iceland Terrain v2.0 (which I loved by the way), causing this ?

It run flawlessly yesterday.

Still need your help and opinion about my problem folks, my install was by following order:

- SF 2

- SF 2 Vietnam

- SF 2 Europe

- SF 2 Israel

- SF 2 North Atlantic

- Auto Update patch (July 2013 patch)

- SF 2 Expansion Pack 1

- SF 2 Expansion Pack 2

MODS :

- TMF F-14 Superpack

- Banidos Mirage III EA

- MiG-21 complete pack SF 2 all 1 - 7

- 57th FIS Skin Pack by Sundowner (for F-4 Phantom)

- tweaked with SF 2 extractor to increase cockpit light in some aircraft

- installed Baltika's Full-scale Iceland Terrain v 2.0  (yesterday for the first time)

What do you think might be the problem?

EDIT: Should I install the thid wire's 2013 hotfix?

Edited by Boresight

Don't those programs back up or set a restore point before they make changes? Mine do, but I have them set to do so. Maybe it would be easier just to go back into those programs and let them undo the changes then reboot. Then if it all works as advertised you'll know it's one or both programs.By the way I don't recommend using both programs depending on how you set them up they could be performing the same tasks twice! Both programs clean your registry if set to do so and that alone could really f#$%&& up your system which is I bet what happened.My advice which may or may not differ with others is make up your mind which program you like best and only use that program or disable the duplicated functions in one of your programs. Just a suggestion, Good luck!

Don't those programs back up or set a restore point before they make changes? Mine do, but I have them set to do so. Maybe it would be easier just to go back into those programs and let them undo the changes then reboot. Then if it all works as advertised you'll know it's one or both programs.By the way I don't recommend using both programs depending on how you set them up they could be performing the same tasks twice! Both programs clean your registry if set to do so and that alone could really f#$%&& up your system which is I bet what happened.My advice which may or may not differ with others is make up your mind which program you like best and only use that program or disable the duplicated functions in one of your programs. Just a suggestion, Good luck!

Thank you usaphantom2,

That's probably what happened, as now after a clean merged installation, SF 2: North Atlantic crashes/freezes at the "create / load mission" screen.

I don't know what to do.

Maybe I shouldn't have installed the 2 expansion packs before SF 2 NA ?

Everyone's advice are welcome.

Edited by Boresight

Well they say now it does'nt matter what order you install but I still think the best way is in the order they were released so Exp1+2 would come before SF2NA. Be sure you do the installs one at a time and reboot after each install and defrag after each install unless your using an SSD drive so your install files aren't scattered all over your hard drive. Again good luck and check six! P.S. I haven't and I wouldn't install the JUNE/JULY2013 patch but that's your preference ,There is a workaround in the knowledge Base by SupGen for using the DLC aircraft without it and I don't think there was any good reasons for doing the update ,It messed up a lot of stuff for people I don't think you'll miss it at all.Go with the May update if you have. Again just a suggestion and if there are differing options on anything I've told you don't worry you'll hear them. Best of luck with it!

Edited by usafphantom2

Hello

I have the same type of problem, but for all my installs and most  terrains (see here : http://combatace.com/topic/80293-and-so-sf2-decided-to-crash/ )

Hello everyone,

What a disappointment... all 5 modules SF 2 merged install, with TMF F-14, and yesterday installed the " full-scale iceland terrain v 2.0 " and loved it.

Yesterday, everything run just great.

However before shutting down my PC, I've run "CCleaner" and "advanced system care" tools...

Today, after 2 or 3 missions, every module (Israel or North Atlantic) crashes/freezes always at the loading screen 40 % progress.

Do you think the maintenance programs mentioned above might be the culprit?

I would appreciate your help, otherwise will have to uninstall everything.

Thank you for your attention thereg.

I'm also accompanying that thread, and I really hope that's Avast the true cause of this 'nightmare', so I don't want to start a brand new install dance again, just to find the problem persists.

EDIT:

My bad: not someother mate - I mean, you solved it !

Thank you !

Edited by Boresight

Hello Cangas and Russouk2004,

Thank you for your attention, the problem really was Avast, but only after many tweaking (SF 2 install/uninstall) I managed to get it right.

Ultimately it only went right after uninstalling Avast from my PC, because it blocked the .dll files installation.

I describe it more detailed at the similar thread below:

" And so SF2 decided to crash "

http://combatace.com/topic/80293-and-so-sf2-decided-to-crash/page-2