Sign in to follow this  
PraetorH

Northrop-Dornier F-20G Tigershark

Northrop-Dornier F-20G Tigershark

What Happened in Reality:

In the early 80ies test pilots from ErpStff 61 (flight test squadron of the Luftwaffe) evaluated a number of US aircraft comparing it to the TKF/ Jäger 90 (now called Eurofighter). The F-15 was rated an excellent fighter but lacking AG-capabilities and rather expansive. The F-18 was so well received that rumours spread it may be bought as an intermediate solution until the TKF was ready.

Northrop aggressively advertised its F-20 Tigershark since it also would provide a good and relatively low cost intermediate solution for the Luftwaffe. Indeed the WTD 61 pilots reviewed it favourably, but politically it was impossible to introduce the Tigershark. The Luftwaffe had a strict 2-engine policy when it came to combat aircraft, and with many European projects going on, buying American could not be accepted under any circumstances. Thus Germany never considered to buy the Tigershark in real life.

June 1984, Erprobungsstaffel 61

Edwards AFB, United States of America

fvk7.jpg

The Alternate Reality:

From Alpha Jet to Tigershark

In the later 70ies it became apparent that the Alpha Jet was to be more of a trainer than a fighter bomber. The idea to fight WWIII with a slow plane that had no armour, no ECM, no guided air-to-ground munitions was not exactly cherished in the Luftwaffe. Furthermore the back-seat was entirely useless for the combat role of the Alpha Jet. With the French refusal to change the concept, the Luftwaffe began looking for alternatives. Due to legal quarrels it was not until 1983 that the Luftwaffe could officially look for a replacement of the Alpha Jet.

The Luftwaffe quickly found that the recently tested F-20 Tigershark fitted the profile of its fighter bomber wings and ordered 175 of them. In fact having only one engine proved advantageous because it kept the price low, and the experiences with single engine aircraft had been well recently. Also, the incredibly short scramble time came in handy and meant a great improvement compared to the Alpha Jet. Only Dornier, the German producer of the Alpha Jet, was furious. Therefore it was tasked with the refitting of the Tigershark to German standards and allowed to license produce some of the Tigersharks.

Meanwhile a decision on the future of the fighter force needed to be made, and while some still favoured upgrading the Phantoms with Amraams, the introduction of the Tigershark was ordered. Like the old Phantom it was to serve as stopgap until the Eurofighter arrives, which by that time was far behind schedule. Thus another 100 Tigersharks, split between Dornier and Northrop, were produced and delivered.

The Northrop-Dornier F-20G

Since the Luftwaffe had no interest in Sparrows and intended to use the F-20G mostly as CAS plane, the BVR weaponry was dropped, although the option to later install Amraams was kept. The advanced air-to-ground options, especially the AGM-65, however remained. Dornier was tasked with ensuring the compatibility to German and French weaponry, furthermore installing the Mauser BK 27 instead of the M39 cannons.

Operational History

After only a few years of flying the Alpha Jet, the Fighter Bomber Wings 41, 43, 44, and 49 transitioned to the Tigershark, but were more than happy. Although CAS was the primary task, the fighter bomber pilots enjoyed the capabilities to actual fulfil the fighter aspect of their role. After Germany was reunited, the Fighter Wings 71 “Richthofen” and 74 “Mölders” also switched to the F-20G.

August 1987, Jagdbombergeschwader 43,

Oldenburg, West-Germany

k153.jpg

I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I
5ael.jpg

December 1991, Jagdgeschwader 71 “Richthofen”

Wittmund, Germany

qdx6.jpg

I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I
4g86.jpg

Edited by PraetorH
  • Like 6

Nice background history, you will release it soon???? Thanks for your work

Cool What If history, cool skins and cool pilots. As others ask, will you release them?

Also a small sentence caught my eye

The F-18 was so well received that rumours spread it may be bought as an intermediate solution until the TKF was ready.

Maybe another What if? Single and Twin seater Hornets in Luftwaffe markings... COOL!

Thanks a lot! I may release the air superiority version, if it is wished, but the fighter bomber wrap-around-camo does not work well (note there is a reason why the shots do not show the underbelly). My skinning skills are a bit rusty...

But, on the lighter side, I am indeed thinking about an F-18 provided I find a suitable template. Since it had two engines and the Luftwaffe was looking for a stop-gap until the introduction of the Eurofighter (hence the F-4 ICE upgrades), it is even a quite possible what-if.

PS: the pilot looks great, but this is not my feat - I think it came from the German Modding Group along with their old F-4Fs I think.

Edited by PraetorH

Thanks for your interest. I promise to revisit it after I am finished with my Skyhawk-project. Surely, a fighter F-20G will come.