I have a merged install of SF2 Europe, Vietnam, and North Atlantic.  I installed a few of stary's effect mods, Green Hell 3 and some paints for the default carriers.  When I go to fly, all I see are default effects and terrain tiles.

I so far think that it is the merged install that is the culprit.  All of the game folders are full of a ton of catalog files.

Any ideas?

Unlike SF1 in SF2 ***ALL*** mods now get installed into the "Mod" folder which is here - "C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2XXX" where XXX is folder you want to put the Mod into - i.e StrikeFighters2 Europe or StrikeFighters2 Vietnam etc. Nothing gets put into the Program Folder like we used to with SF1.

Here's what my SF2:E install looks like - "C:\Users\IanH\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe"

sf2folders.jpg

Hope that helps, there's lots more info in the Read Me's for those Mods and in the SF2 knowledge base Section of this forum if you need any more help.

That is a horrible way of doing things as I have my OS on one partition, and my games on another!  I only have around 7 gigs available, 2 planes and some effects and tile sets already take up 3 gigs!.  Is there any way to make the game point to another place for the mods folder? 

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by WombRaider

Yeap it's very easy, open the "Options.ini" file you can see above and almost the very last line is this -

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=C:\Users\IanH\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe
Editors=StrikeFighters2

now replace the Directory= with the location of your new one i.e my old one was this -

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=E:\SF2 Europe
Editors=StrikeFighters2

and paste all your Mods into your new location, easy!

However, you ***MUST*** keep the Options.ini file in its original C: location for this to work.

Again hope that helps!

Waiting for the reply I found the options.ini.

There are 4 different folders in my c:\users\Warren\SavedGames\Thridwire.  They are Strikefighters2, Strikefighters2 Europe, Strikefighters2 NorthAtlantic, and Strikefighters2 Vietnam.  Each folder has it's own options.ini.  I edited all of them.  

I am now having trouble with the GreenHellV3.5 even showing.  I created a "Terrains/VietnamSEA" folder in my Strikefighters2 Vietnam folder.  I dropped all of the tiles and such in it.  I still see default tiles.

Edited by WombRaider

did you add the inis that came with GH3.5??

you still need the

VietnamSEA.ini

VietnamSEA_Data.ini

IN the terrain folder.

if it included an HFD and TFD, them too (I don't remember!)

You do have that file if you have SF2V - the game will use the one in the cat file 

I'm a CYA kinda guy .... I always have it IN the terrain folder, expecially if the terrain is modified in any way

Extract it from the VietnamSEA.cat, and drop it in the /VeitnamSEA terrain folder.

Thanks Wrench.

My how this game has changed.  The NA game has horrid FPS problems, especially while on deck. My computer can run any game I throw at it at max settings with stable FPS.

My system:

I5 3570K 3.8 ghz

GTX660 2GB

8GB RAM.

SF2:NA is known as a system hog due to the terrain being a LOD (just like a plane etc) although a recent patch did improve the performance slightly. My O/C'd 4.6Ghz/GTX780 gaming rig still struggles at times yet runs ARMA 3 at 100FPS with everything maxed out.

If you are doing an anti-shipping mission it's better and flying at 20ft above the waves as the Kuznetsov's AAA passes by you it looks fantastic!

I use a 3rd party terrain that speeds up the FPS a lot - but you lose the fancy sea effect