Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

Republic F-105N Thunderchief - NATO's Strike Bomber

Republic F-105N Thunderchief - 2 Smaldeel, Belgian Air Force, 1975

During early 1961 the new Defence Secretary, Robert S. McNamara, decided to severely cut-back on F-105D production and only equip seven combat wings with the type. The expected total production run of about 1,500 F-105D's was soon reduced to less than one-half of that number. With the end of the Thunderchief production line looming and no follow-on project in the immediate pipeline Republic Aviation quickly proposed a minimum change 'NATO standard' export version of the current F-105D-31RE (designated F-105N - 'N' for NATO) at a competitive price and this soon attracted the attention of several NATO air forces. By March 1963 export orders had by placed by Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands with a slightly modified F-105M version being procured for the West German Marineflieger who had become disenchanted with the F-104G Starfighter.

With the last USAF F-105D's and F-105F's going through the door at Republic's Farmingdale factory production continued with a batch of 200 F-105N's (Block-50RE's) powered by the Pratt & Whitney J75-P19W engine rated at 26,500lbs of thrust and 120 F-105M's. 

BAFF-105NTHUNDERCHIEF02_zpsdc839aad.jpg

BAFF-105NTHUNDERCHIEF03_zps9d8bb7c4.jpg

BAFF-105NTHUNDERCHIEF04_zps1de56d59.jpg

BAFF-105NTHUNDERCHIEF05_zpsf31ea345.jpg

• Like 8

I'm getting things ready for the other CF-105. I am thinking licence production by Avro Canada, with the engine built either by Orenda or PWC. I think we'll have five squadrons, 421, 422, 427, 439, and 441 - the entire NATO Air Division. The markings are all ready, I just have to put them on. For colour schemes, I'll do natural metal, SEA, and Green. Service entry in 1961, and retirement in 1984 to be replaced by the CF-18.

• Like 1

Incidentally, in the absence of a reconnaissance variant of the F-105, might we have a Canadian RF-101? Probably the RF-101C, rather than the later RF-101B.

nice one spin!. can you release? thx.

It's simply sundowner's spiffing new F-105D_66 skin with Third Wire Mirage 5BA decals (although the raked fin flash is a little flourish by yours truly).

Lol, looks we are going to get a lot new F-105s! What a template can do... :D

Of course, in all cases we are dealing with big "what-ifs". Even Germany, easily the richest and most powerful of the countries without its own aircraft production, was not capable of supporting the F-105. It was a huge beast, complicated and demanding to any infrastructure. Buying a plane is one thing, operating another.

But nonetheless, it still is great fun. ;)

• Like 2

The CF-105 Thunderchief is done

I think it's time to package it, and the RAAF F-105 for upload.

• Like 2

Love both of them! The Aussie and the Canuck!

Another marvelous what if for the Belgian Air Force, allways an great pleasure to see what else you will make for the BAF  :clapping: