Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Will like to see some SE5A pics please.

Wondering If someone can post several pics of the SE 5A, is one of my favoutirtes planes and will like to see how it looks in WOFF. At the same time a question, the pilot can change the ammo drum in flight? And If yes is the operation visible?

Thanks.

Are you flying OFF or WOFF? Strap on an SE-5 of your own and take a look. Yes, you could re-load in flight. There were two ammo drum sizes: 47 and 97 rounds, the latter being used in aircraft.

I don't have WOFF, thats why I asked some pics.

A few pics for you Stratos..SE5 ,SE5a and the Viper.......

Thanks a lot mate, very beautiful machine!

If you want I can go to the SA war museum and take a few shots of the REAL SE5a that they have there.  One can't get in it of course, but it is suspended next to a walkway and you can see it all.  I was actually amazed at how small and fragile it was compared to the other aircraft on show - even the Hawker Hart seemed gigantic in comparison.  These WWI pilots were brave men indeed.  And consider that it had only been 14-15 years since the first powered flight.  That would put us back to 2000 or so ....  It was all new, unknown and strange.  Aerodynamics was an unknown 'art', not a science as it is now.  Fokker only discovered the advantages of thick wings by accident as his main designer needed the strength for a cantilever wing. 

There is also a real one in the Science Museum in London.  They only survived because they were used for signwriting!  Blame it on OMO (I think the first signwritten word, quite easy to do). 

And one in the US somewhere masquerading in US colours (could be a replica). 

I had figured Stratos was after pictures of SE5as  as they look in WOFF.  I'm concentrating on a FE2b campaign at present so I don't see any.

Here is one from my visit to the Shuttleworth collection (posted back in August). The SE5a sadly didn't fly.

D2_GettingExcited_zps1e7519f7.jpg

Edited by Maeran