Sign in to follow this  
beachav8r

Desert Storm - Mission 05 - Duck Mission

05GULF00.jpg

This mission approximates a strike that occurred later during the air war when Saddam Hussein, in an act of desperation, opened the oil manifolds that pump crude oil to ships waiting at an oil loading terminal off the coast of Kuwait. Instead of pumping the crude oil into ships, the oil was spewing into the Gulf, creating an enormous environmental disaster. War planners were tasked with coming up with a plan to stop the oil from flowing. After careful consideration, a strike against the pumping station that provided the positive pressure to the pipeline was slated. The strike was performed by F-111s using electro-optically guided GBU-15 bombs. Codenamed "Duck Mission", the strike was ultimately successful in stopping the flow of oil into the Gulf.

05GULF18.jpg

05GULF01.jpg

I utilized Fastcargo's awesome F-111 Super Vark Pack (Version 2.4) in order to get the LGBs I used in the mission. I could not find an EO capable bomb such as the GBU-15, so I went with GBU-16s instead.

05GULF02.jpg

Heading north over the Gulf on the short flight to the island housing the pump station...

05GULF03.jpg

The skies south of Kuwait are quiet as the coalition air cover pushes all enemy activity to the north...

05GULF04.jpg

05GULF06.jpg

05GULF05.jpg

Soon the ground mapping radar starts to pick up the island...

05GULF07.jpg

At around 30 miles out, we transition from low level to 15,000' and turn on the ECM gear...

05GULF08.jpg

05GULF09.jpg
I select the GBU-16/B and the "Pave Penny" locks on to the target building...

05GULF10.jpg

At about five miles out, I hit the pickle button twice, sending two one-thousand pounders on the way...

05GULF11.jpg

05GULF12.jpg

For good measure I order my wingmen to attack as well. About 15 seconds later my bombs hit..followed a few second later by my wingman's...

05GULF13.jpg

05GULF14.jpg

It looks like we nuked the island! There is not a peep from the RWR and the entire mission was uncontested.

05GULF15.jpg

05GULF16.jpg

I drag the flight down to low level and exit the direction we came. Wingman #3 screams past the smoking wreckage of the facility...

05GULF17.jpg

The mission is an easy success. The F-111 is another awesome aircraft that saw action in the Gulf War and a personal favorite. I'm sure we'll see more F-111 action in future AARs.

BeachAV8R

Edited by beachav8r
  • Like 2

Can mods change thread titles? I mistaken labeled this one Mission 04 and it supposed to be Mission 05.. Doh!

Can mods change thread titles? I mistaken labeled this one Mission 04 and it supposed to be Mission 05.. Doh!

Done.

• Like 1

Done.

Damn..impressive level of service and speed.

With that said..uh..can a mod please deposit one million dollars into my Paypal account?

* It was worth a try...

BeachAV8R

• Like 1

Damn..impressive level of service and speed.

With that said..uh..can a mod please deposit one million dollars into my Paypal account?

* It was worth a try...

BeachAV8R

Sure....do you take Confederate dollars?

Great AARs, Beach 

Have had my head stuck in some RL c*** for a while, you are reminding me why simming in general , and SF2 in particular, is so great.

Thanks, man drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

Sure....do you take Confederate dollars?

LOL..I thought you were going to offer me pre-Gulf War Iraqi Dinars (someday they will be worth a fortune I tell ya!)

I like the F-111, would be awesome if some skinner would give new 4096x4096 textures though *wink wink*  :biggrin:

Yes, I am obsessed with high-res skins at the moment  :blink: