Sign in to follow this  
eburger68

A Humble Request to All Modders

Folks:

Once again I find myself at the stage where I'm wrapping up work on some things that I will be uploading to CombatAce. This time it's a round of updates for most of the major "all-in-one" mods that I maintain. And I am reminded once again why I dread this particular stage of work. For now is the time to put together a ReadMe with a proper credits section.

Why do I dread putting together a credits section? Is it because I am constitutionally stingy about acknowledging the work and contributions of others? Quite the contrary. I am eager to give you, the modders -- the skinners, model makers, and INI editors -- all the credit you so richly deserve. And do it I will.

So, why do I loathe this particular task? The answer is quite simple: because so many of you modders make it so difficult to give you the credit you deserve.

How could that be? The answer is quite simple: I can't figure out who you are. Which leads to my humble request to modders here at CombatAce:

People, please, for the love of god, would you please put your name in the ReadMe?

I want to give you credit for the work you've labored on and so generously shared with the rest of us. I'm trying to give you credit. I'm desperate to give you credit.

But when I am forced to go digging through the Downloads section here, drilling down through categories and scrolling through page after page of mods looking for that upload from you where you might have once, if only fleetingly revealed your identity only to dart back into the shadows, the window across the room from me starts to look mighty inviting. Esp. after I spend whole evenings taking the plunge again and again to excavate the Downloads section and dredge up old discussion topics long since forgotten in order to to sniff you out.

OK, the above was a bit melodramatic. But you get the point. Please make it easy to give you and all those who might have worked with you the credit you deserve by including a proper ReadMe with your mod and including everyone's name -- esp. your own.

There. I've said it. And now I must return to the Downloads section to dig some more.

Eric Howes

• Like 2

Well put, Eric!!

you mean somebody actually reads the readme's!?!?  damn  might have to start checking my spelling.....

daddyairplanes:

A few of us do, yes. Many are quite useful. Some are even entertaining and illuminating. I'm a  big fan of ReadMes.

Your post reminds me that I should let you know I haven't forgotten about those E-3 skins for NF5. When I started a credits section tonight for the NF5 update, yours was the first name to go down.

Eric Howes

Eric

If you cannot find a author of a mod just put this line in it.

There are mods in the package that I do not know who the creator is. So if I missed anyone it was unintentional. Then you are now covered. If they give you shit let me know.

Just to pick on you too Eric, when you give me credit it's USAFMTL. You have my last letters wrong. :lol:

Was he calling you USAFBLT...? :blum:  :blackeye:

No, because that would be a correct one. :lol: I think it was USAFTML in his readme's.  :biggrin:

Just my two cents, as a dumb End-user --

I ALWAYS read the ReadMe's.

They're important. People wouldn't include them otherwise.

And, I have downloaded several of Eburger68's mods, and IMHO his ReadMe's are exemplary!

I have found so much useful information in them, that I can use in my own work in other areas (unrelated to his particular mod), that I keep copies for reference of what he has said in them, so I can refer back if I need to refresh my memory about something.

The least you Modders can do is, as he asks, identify yourselves in yours [and, don't neglect to make and include one in whatever you upload. SOME of us do care, and want to hear about how you devised whatever you are uploading and sharing, Y'know?]

DARoot

twas just my typical smart assed humor folks.  i read enough cooments that could have been answered in readmes and even gotten many questions in the same category.

Eric,  you're not gonna like me. i have several projects in the works after getting F-4S done.  thats priority (been workin it 7 months now) but want incorporate some changes to the Hercs and Sentrys based of techniques from the Extender, as well as redoing the C-5 and -141. all of which can plug in NF5, ODS and even your NA expansion for much eyecandy. not to mention new hobby of airliners (think CRAF)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..