Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Iraqi F-16D First flight

Did we give them the 16's for free or did they buy them?

In view of the failure to have a Status of Forces Agreement, my understanding is that we withdrew ALL forces except for those directly connected with the Embassy. So no training mission, no support, no contractors (unless directly contracted by Irag) etc.

I may have missed some details somewhere but I thought we were outa there. Zip. Zero. Nada. Nyet.

The American Embassy in Iraq is more than just a few buildings, Its more of a mini base which can accommodate several thousand  Embassy "Security" troops and support personnel. We did leave Iraq, but we really didn't there are a few thousand US personnel in Iraq both military and civilian contractors, but no combat troops, just defensive security troops. USAF will be providing training for the Iraqi AF in the US and in Iraq.

I think that the recent reports of the ISIS and their offensive against the regular Iraqi Army and police forces sheds new light on this and why giving/selling them F-16s is a dangerous prospect. It's been reported that the ISIS forces captured military equipment (Humvees) as well as arms and a Helicopter and Fixed wing aircraft. If the F-16s had been transferred before, I think we would've seen a few captured.

@Migbuster, glad you and I see eye to eye on this issue, and I think it's ironic I posed the question and then we get these turn of events that occur in Iraq. As I said before...I don't think that the US should call the Iraqis allies. And I have absolutely nothing against them or Arabs, or Persians, etc., but the place and government is unstable. That's the truth no matter what way people want to spin things. So I hope some politicians in D.C. stop this sale or transfer or backroom deal immediately. The ramifications, if they don't, could be catastrophic.

Especially as the gov't is so friendly to Iran, they can have them do it. Giving them F-16s is like giving the Iranian AF a guided tour of the Viper.